Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Motor is the model name, not a quality designation, and the dating is accurate. As to the sweat, that's up to you. You can follow the Lexol/oil advice in other threads, but without having it in hand, it might be pretty far gone, requiring replacement with a new, reeded sweat.

BTW, that's two known examples. Dinerman's went to Alan.

HatsEnough

Banned
Ok, so three of these known. And "The Motor" is the model like the Imperial, the Royal, etc.? Is the consensus that these really date to late 1920s-early 1930s? Also, how would treat/preserve the sweatband? Thanks!

I would say that if the sweatband was too fragile to wear the hat, leave it all alone. Do not replace the band. Doing that will destroy the historical worth of the hat.

You take that sweatband out where it says "The Motor" and you end up with just an old Stetson with no way to prove it is a "The Motor" model. It's just an old hat without the sweatband. Again, taking out the sweatband ruins that hat if you ask me.

HatsEnough

Banned
Wow. What a difference an inch or so makes, eh?

This 7-3/8 Stetson 100 made in the 1960s went for $256.51. That was just for the hat only.

On the other hand, this Stetson 100 in 7-1/8 made in the 1950s went for $305.75 and that one was with the full hard-sided leather case and the plastic hat holder!

So one with the whole package only went for $50 more than just the hat in the bigger size. Heck, I'd say the leather trunk and the plastic hat holder would go for close to $200 if it was sold all by itself!

Also, that 7-3/8 went pretty cheap itself. Recently I saw a 100 go for almost $400 in 7-3/8.

Prices for fedoras seem down to me right now.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I would say that if the sweatband was too fragile to wear the hat, leave it all alone. Do not replace the band. Doing that will destroy the historical worth of the hat.

While I'm all for preservation when possible, I'm also all about replacement when necessary. My hats will never be paperweights. Hats are for wearing

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Ok, so three of these known. And "The Motor" is the model like the Imperial, the Royal, etc.? Is the consensus that these really date to late 1920s-early 1930s? Also, how would treat/preserve the sweatband? Thanks!

If the US Patent Office is to believed, the Stetson first use date of that trade mark is August 1930.(the round London, Paris, New York type) The Motor model does go back to the 20's from ads found.

HatsEnough

Banned
While I'm all for preservation when possible, I'm also all about replacement when necessary. My hats will never be paperweights. Hats are for wearing

I agree only to a point. If a hat is not that old, I say do all the refurb you want. Change the sweat, change the ribbon, whatever. Go for it.

But once in starts getting to the 100 year old point as hats made in the 1930s and previous are, I begin to feel that they are now historical artifacts that will be ruined by having sweatbands removed and ribbons changed. I would think it a shame to rip out all the things that makes an antique hat an antique just to make it wearable.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
I agree only to a point. If a hat is not that old, I say do all the refurb you want. Change the sweat, change the ribbon, whatever. Go for it.

But once in starts getting to the 100 year old point as hats made in the 1930s and previous are, I begin to feel that they are now historical artifacts that will be ruined by having sweatbands removed and ribbons changed. I would think it a shame to rip out all the things that makes an antique hat an antique just to make it wearable.

I would tend to agree, although I am not (yet) a hat collector. It would be like putting a modern 4 cylinder in a model T just to make it more able to keep up with today's traffic.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't recall. You're right about the plastic, and it's true of the keys as well. Both, however, may still be available through Buler, who is a Stetson 100 DIY machine.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Perhaps Hospital surgical tissue glue... or as it is more commonly known to you & I- super glue- along both the inside & outside at the base of the sweatband to stabilize the stitching & the bands bond with the hat body followed by a substrat of reinforcing acid free mounting tape used in the fine-art framing biz, (light impressions is one source of many) on the rear of the sweatband, invisible & hidden away. That way you've both the band & the bands attachment to the felt reinforced.... my .o2

I think most on here collect to wear vs. collect for display. I have a few old show piece hats (small size) but most are wearable.

Last edited:

Levallois

Practically Family
I think most on here collect to wear vs. collect for display. I have a few old show piece hats (only valuable to myself :)) but I am a exception rather than the norm.

I don't see myself restoring "The Motor." I was thinking more of a stabilization. If it will significantly change or damage the historical nature of the hat then I won't do it. Having said that and within those parameters, I will do everything that I can so that I can wear the hat occasionally. Thanks for the replies and I'll post some pics once I receive the hat.

OldStetson2.jpg

John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo