Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

DJH

I'll Lock Up
There seem to be a lot of really nice hats on eBay at the moment as well, Terry.

What I do is just use Auction Sniper - decide how much something is worth to me, go with that amount and then relax. One of the nice things with this, is that if I get bidders remorse, it is easy to just cancel the snipe - I've just done this for an auction ending tomorrow. Even though I think it would be a good deal (although not 100% sure) I know it would be more than I should be spending on a hat at this moment.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Yeah, all of a sudden in the past week a bunch of 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 hats popped up on Ebay. They are bringing a mint though. Hell, that beautiful $68 Whippet on the previous page here would have brought $300 in a 7 1/2 right now over there.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Well crap, I didn't win that near mint Playboy but I made sure the other guy had to mortgage his house to take it from me-LOL. Damn it!

I myself don't think that particular hat is nearly as old as the seller claimed. In a size 7 that might very well have been a $75 hat. Unfortunately, as you yourself note, when you get to 3/8 all bets are off.

Don't get demoralized. Just stay with it. Something else will come your way.

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
How come nobody competed against me for this hat? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250846176208&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I know it is not going to be real great felt, will likely be a bit stiff, and the 'Royal' Stetson relegates it to lowest-quality rabbit fur felt, but it appears to be in good condition, seller advised me the brim was 2 1/2 inches, with no insect nibbles, no stains. Appears to be a nice full crown, should be able to put a C-crown in with no problem, maybe even a DTD/C-crown. For under $30, this was a steal. ok, maybe not grand larceny, but still, should be well worth the money.

RBH

Bartender
I would not have bought the hat if it was for a nickel.
Too damn small.
I no longer buy hats that are not my size, hat stretchers are to keep your size hats up to snuff.
THEY ARE NOT TO BRING A HAT...1 TO 2 TO 3 SIZES UP.
When you buy a 7 1/4 hat and make a 7 3/8s out of it it is no longer the same hat.
Brim, crown and overall shape are changed in the resize.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
I would not have bought the hat if it was for a nickel.
Too damn small.
I no longer buy hats that are not my size, hat stretchers are to keep your size hats up to snuff.
THEY ARE NOT TO BRING A HAT...1 TO 2 TO 3 SIZES UP.
When you buy a 7 1/4 hat and make a 7 3/8s out of it it is no longer the same hat.
Brim, crown and overall shape are changed in the resize.

In my case that is not always exactly true. My size is a 7, but usually a 6-7/8 upsizes to me fine without distortion.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
There is a seller who is selling some gorgeous dresses on eBay at the moment - too small and too expensive for me but oh so pretty!

Apparently they are from an estate sale and were owned by Lady Winifred Hilton. There are even some 1950's Horrockses dresses.

I can't justify spending hundreds of pounds on a dress just to look at it though!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Had I known the Air Light Stetson block was only going to run about $10, I would have paid a bit more attention and maybe tossed in a bid.
stetson2.jpg

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
I doubled up this week and won TWO, count 'em TWO hats!

First I got a wonderful old bowler/derby:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220802757932&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Anybody got a clue how old it may be?

AND, I got a milan:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220805566944&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Woo hoo!

Thanks for all the feedback! The Derby/Bowler arrived Sat and is in pristine perfect condition. It looks like it was never worn: Sweatband looks like the day it was made, the gold embossing is perfect, no sweatstains anywhere. Only drawback is even tho it's a 7 1/2, it's a little tight for my LO head! Nothing that won't be overcome by wearing it regularly though.

I haven't received the Milan yet...should come today or tomorrow....(I hate waiting)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Both are beauties. Nice going!

ugh. I had to delete my entire watch list this morning. I might even try to block myself from ebay for awhile-- way too many temptations, way too light of a wallet. I'm attempting something called "responsibility." I'll let you all know how it works out...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw