Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
They do look to have potential Steve, bet you got a deal on them, probably overlooked. A couple of lightweights! Keep us posted on the results.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Hi Dan
When purchasing an expensive item it would of been wise to communicate with the seller. Also what type of feedback history did the seller have? I feel your pain about being robbed, please post the sellers name and info here so that folks can avoid this seller.
Have you tried working with paypal or ebay on a refund ?
Best regards
CCJ
Both items were from Cabelas so integrity was not an issue. If tracking had shown it not delivered to local post office they would have made it good. As I live in a very small town I find it hard to believe. I like UPS and use them when possible, they must teach their driver to look at street addresses. FEDEX uses Google maps and Google maps has my address 1/4 mile to the west. If any of you have not Goggled your address I advise you to do it and see where they show it being. I talked to the lady that lives at "my" house down the road and have since had a couple of phone calls telling me that my stuff was at her door

Mystic

Practically Family
Both items were from Cabelas so integrity was not an issue. If tracking had shown it not delivered to local post office they would have made it good. As I live in a very small town I find it hard to believe. I like UPS and use them when possible, they must teach their driver to look at street addresses. FEDEX uses Google maps and Google maps has my address 1/4 mile to the west. If any of you have not Goggled your address I advise you to do it and see where they show it being. I talked to the lady that lives at "my" house down the road and have since had a couple of phone calls telling me that my stuff was at her door

It's not unusual in my area to have close by neighbors drop off mail to the correct address.

fedoracentric

Banned
It's amazing that some of these ebay sellers get away with misleading people so much.

This auction is from a guy who consistently has all his information about his hats wrong:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antiqu...888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337d5fd270

This time the guy is selling one of those early century women's hats. I found a thread about them here on Fedora Lounge:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?38633-Dobbs-Unusual-style-from-1918&s=016

Now, he's calling it a hat for a rancher.

It isn't.

He's claiming it is from the 1860s.

It isn't.

He's saying it's beaver.

Looks like silk to me if the threads I've seen here about top hats is right.

Worse, the moron thinks it's worth $2,200!!

In the past I've seen him claim that hats made in the 1970s are from the 1890s or early 1900s. I've seen him call hats "Stetsons" when they are not. And he makes hundreds on these things when they sell. The guy isn't just accidentally mislabeling things. He's outright lying.

It really gripes me.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A better car guy than I might date it by the car. Everything appears late 20s or early 30s. Myself, judging by the snappy styles and optimistic attitudes of the subjects, leads me to think that it was pre-crash in the late 20s. But that's just an impression.

It's amazing that some of these ebay sellers get away with misleading people so much.

I understand your indignation. At least the knowledge stored here provides a resource for us to be better ebay shoppers. Sometimes I send a message to a seller if I have something that might help the accuracy of their auction description. Most appreciate the information. I doubt that would be the case in this instance. There is a decent looking mid-century Stetson Nutria that has been for sale in their shop for some time... surprised it hasn't sold. I went back and forth a couple of times with an offer on it, but decided to let it pass.

Walt

One of the Regulars
I understand your indignation. At least the knowledge stored here provides a resource for us to be better ebay shoppers. Sometimes I send a message to a seller if I have something that might help the accuracy of their auction description. Most appreciate the information. I doubt that would be the case in this instance. There is a decent looking mid-century Stetson Nutria that has been for sale in their shop for some time... surprised it hasn't sold. I went back and forth a couple of times with an offer on it, but decided to let it pass.

Nice 50's (mid-century as you say) and that seller has it listed as a 30's! I suspect this seller is more un-informed rather than intentionally lying, but the way they write their listings they certainly come across as if they think they are informed experts so that almost makes it lying. They have had a few nice hats this one included.

Then there is the occasional pre-WW2 hat listed as a modern or newer vintage--not often, but it does happen....

There are so many hats listed as being much older than they really are by so many sellers I suspect it is mostly just wishful thinking and seller ignorance but no doubt there are a few hoping to get the big bucks for something they know is no where near as old as being claimed. Wonder how many buyers are taken in by that.

Walt

One of the Regulars

In the past I've seen him claim that hats made in the 1970s are from the 1890s or early 1900s. I've seen him call hats "Stetsons" when they are not. And he makes hundreds on these things when they sell. The guy isn't just accidentally mislabeling things. He's outright lying.

It really gripes me.

It gripes me too but there are also lots of other stuff on ebay often mis-dated or mis-identified. I don't know if this seller knows it or not, but I think most are just ignorant dreamers hoping to make a quick buck selling stuff they find at estate/garage sales and thrift stores, etc. I run into them all the time at such places. Everyone looking for the big win of the century they can retire on and profile on antiques road show or pawn stars.

Heck, even professional art and antique dealers/auctioneers get taken with fakes they sell as original. Now that is really something to get steamed about especially if one is the buyer and paid big bucks for a fake!

A buyer better do his homework for sure and be wary of claims that aren't verifiable. I suspect the buyers overpaying aren't doing their homework or following this site.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The above seller seems to be more often wrong than right and usually by multiple decades of overestimation. I occasionally send polite suggestions of proper dating(factual not opinion) but have yet to see them noted. Tried again with one of today's listings, I don't expect a new result however.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
It gripes me too but there are also lots of other stuff on ebay often mis-dated or mis-identified. I don't know if this seller knows it or not, but I think most are just ignorant dreamers hoping to make a quick buck selling stuff they find at estate/garage sales and thrift stores, etc. I run into them all the time at such places. Everyone looking for the big win of the century they can retire on and profile on antiques road show or pawn stars.

Heck, even professional art and antique dealers/auctioneers get taken with fakes they sell as original. Now that is really something to get steamed about especially if one is the buyer and paid big bucks for a fake!

A buyer better do his homework for sure and be wary of claims that aren't verifiable. I suspect the buyers overpaying aren't doing their homework or following this site.

I'm not surprised that this goes on with hats for men. I notice it sometimes with hats for women but I believe it is rather difficult because hats for women varied so much over the years that there is no way to pass off a 1950s hat for a 1920s cloche. 1920s were cloche shaped, 1930s were tilted hats, 1940s were more wide brimmed. Also, the look of the label in women's hats are usually a giveaway as to the decade in which it was made.

Looks great! Enjoy seeing vintage Ladies hats!

Fantastic but tiny JHS Standard Crystal Velour (probably 1930s) went for 35,00 EURO on German eBay.

8139691424_9e34b90ebf.jpg

8139659751_bb0bae5319_o.png

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
I don't know if this is technically the right place for this question, but...am I the only one having a tremendous amount of difficulty searching for hats on eBay? By which I mean: searching for "homburg", I get a bazillion results for other fedoras, whose listings frequently don't even include the word homburg. Is there some secret to finding things on this website? Is it just to watch this thread?

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
I don't know if this is technically the right place for this question, but...am I the only one having a tremendous amount of difficulty searching for hats on eBay? By which I mean: searching for "homburg", I get a bazillion results for other fedoras, whose listings frequently don't even include the word homburg. Is there some secret to finding things on this website? Is it just to watch this thread?

I've been having the same problem. Curious to see what the solution is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97