Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

tommyK

One Too Many
KRIKIES! These two 7-5/8 Stetsons went CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!

VTG 1920s MEN'S STETSON Panama LEGHORN Fine Straw HAT size 7 5/8
only for $103.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151444739230?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

VTG 1920s MEN'S STETSON Crushed Velvet HAT size 7 5/8
For only $100!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161453541553?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Have hat prices fallen THIS bad?

The white felt looked a little too mothbitten for me. They initially didn't show a shot of the bow. I asked them to and saw why they weren't eager to show it. Of course, this isn't a dealbreaker for everyone. Something about the white color didn't thrill me either.

But that Leghorn looked fantastic. Sweet deal for someone

tommyK

One Too Many
KRIKIES! These two 7-5/8 Stetsons went CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!

VTG 1920s MEN'S STETSON Panama LEGHORN Fine Straw HAT size 7 5/8
only for $103.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151444739230?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

VTG 1920s MEN'S STETSON Crushed Velvet HAT size 7 5/8
For only $100!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161453541553?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Have hat prices fallen THIS bad?

And the other thing is I didn't bid on them. Many 7 1/2's and 7 5/8's I don't bid on go for low $100's. For the last few months everything I bid on goes north of $200-400. A couple of other guys out there share my exact size and taste in hats!

fedoracentric

Banned
You mean have prices fallen this good? There are always astute loungers in the hunt for a good find.
It's a double edged sword. If prices really have fallen this far and this is happening more and more it means that those who want to buy hats in the future will get great deals.... it also means those of us who paid the higher prices in the past just saw our investments turn into the newest tulip bulbs!

A third thing--and a negative thing--it could hurt new hat dealers who typically have $200, $300 and higher prices on brand new wares. It could make selling newer hats harder.

I think we're OK.

Two auctions from the same seller do not a trend make. The high opening bid keeps the action last minute and keeps the auctions off the radar of the tracking engines like Collector's Weekly. It will take a wider sampling of data to suggest the sky is falling.

;)

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Interesting question; it makes hats sound like an investment rather than an interest (or an obsession). For me, I don't run a balance sheet to keep track of what I pay for hats, but I do track for myself information about the hats. My hat collection isn't about finance, but ymmv.

A

tommyK

One Too Many
My perspective of buying 7 1/2's shows little trending down in price. Two hats that I and nobody else wanted going for $100 isn't that encouraging to me. The last two hats I lost bids on went for over $350 and $400 dollars. When you see size 7 1/2 Whippets, Stratoliners and 7X Open Roads going for less than $100 then I'd worry.....or, that is I'd be happy!

Besides, if prices are down in ones size and you buy them as an investment that just means it's time to buy. Buy low, sell high!

fedoracentric

Banned
Interesting question; it makes hats sound like an investment rather than an interest (or an obsession). For me, I don't run a balance sheet to keep track of what I pay for hats, but I do track for myself information about the hats. My hat collection isn't about finance, but ymmv.

A
I feel somewhat similar. I'd wear them no matter what they are worth and collect them for the interest of the matter. But there is always turn over in any collection. You buy one to "fit" in a slot, but later find a better one so you want to get rid of the first one... you know, "collection" stuff. Or you buy one that doesn't end up fitting really well, so you want to throw it back in the 'bay. But if you paid $300 for that one and want to sell it and can only get $150, that is a major loss. I just hate to see a big loss on the books. I don't buy hats for an investment, either, but on the other hand it hurts to lose major dollars if you try to sell a few here and there. And with the ebay fees always soaring, it hurts all the more.

Lately I've seen larger sizes go for much less than I'd have thought. Even Whippets in 7-1/4 and under have hit less than $180 several times lately. It started early this year and I thought prices would go back up once fur felt season came back in, but I don't see it changing much.

And it doesn't help that too many are now selling with a $300 and up first bid!

Anyway, collector item prices are always volatile, no matter what. Ups and downs all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24