Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

MattJH

One Too Many
Short of a thorough understanding of the Unified Theory and the Large Hadron Collider's inner workings, an accurate internal circumference measurement of a hat is the most difficult thing possible in the world to do, apparently.

Stan

A-List Customer
It's a piece of cake.

Hi,

If you need to do this often, just use a 'rolling plan measure' that has a little wheel and a dial to read out the measurement. Roll it along the bottom edge of the sweatband starting and ending at the seam.

Here's a link to a drafting supply outfit that has one like I have:

http://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/mall/itemdetail.asp?GroupID=10439

I call it a 'rolling ruler', and there are others (like StraitLine) that have ones that are digital and can go 300 feet (!) and look like a carpenter's tape. How well one of these new things work inside a hat, though, I do not know....

I had to measure a hat last evening, and then could not lay my hands on my little rolling measuring instrument! It's around here somewhere! Oh, well. I used a seamstress tape instead. I measured three times, and got the same answer three times, so it's good. Just not as fast and easy as using the rolling tape....

I don't find it so hard to use the seamstress tape, though. It's a matter of walking one's fingers an inch at a time such that you don't let the tape slip while keeping it in contact with the sweat as you go around the circle. I eyeball one of the sweat's stitches against a mark while walking my fingers each time so I know I'm not slipping. Then I repeat it twice to make danged sure I *do* have it correct. That's the beauty of the rolling gizmo. It does it 3 times faster and in one pass.

If you can find the thing, that is! lol

Later!

Stan

GWD

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
lol lol lol lol
I guess the hat reminds you of this tv show theme eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZzBrxj-Gjo

:D

Close! But I think it was Starsky and Hutch.

huggybear.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Double win!!

I grabbed 2 nice hats today, and I think I got a couple of gooood deals.
First: A Knox Whippet clone, if I'm not mistaken:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=270277856489
I got it for $52, plus shipping/
Next, a hat that was described as a Vintage Royal Deluxe Stetson. However if you look carefully at the sweat band, you'll see the words Open Road, clear as life and twice as natural. I got it for $27 plus shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120308633472
Did I do good, guys???

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
very nice......

dhermann1 said:
I grabbed 2 nice hats today, and I think I got a couple of gooood deals.
First: A Knox Whippet clone, if I'm not mistaken:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=270277856489
I got it for $52, plus shipping/
Next, a hat that was described as a Vintage Royal Deluxe Stetson. However if you look carefully at the sweat band, you'll see the words Open Road, clear as life and twice as natural. I got it for $27 plus shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120308633472
Did I do good, guys???
rilico puts up some very nice vintage lids, you got a good one. I really like that green Manhattan with the Crimson ribbon he has up currently. :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
astaire said:
I wondered why a handsome cavanagh in a size 7-1/4 did not sell so high:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=160284686432

i thought the seller put a decent listing with a good amount of pictures of the hat. It was listed correctly as a Cavanagh (not Cavanaugh) Fedora (not Fandora).

Did i miss something wrong with the hat?

It looks like a nice hat. My feling is that there have been a lot of nicer hats available recently, it's a smaller size (7 1/2 and up still ain't exactly cheap for a nice one like that), and the economy is making many folks hang on to their cash.

astaire

One of the Regulars
carter said:
It looks like a nice hat. My feling is that there have been a lot of nicer hats available recently, it's a smaller size (7 1/2 and up still ain't exactly cheap for a nice one like that), and the economy is making many folks hang on to their cash.

You're most correct about the size issue Carter. I am glad that bigger sized hats have become available for you guys.

I also agree about the effects of the current state of the economy too.:(

But then again, this is a Cavanagh. Would be pretty difficult to find a hat in terms of quality that can beat a Cavanagh, no?

Something about the crown makes this hat very handsome:

cavanaghhat68.jpg
[/IMG]

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wow, astaire, that was certainly a steal on that Cavanagh. And with a box, to boot. Cavanaghs with wider brims are rare birds, too. It should have gone for much more.

Brad

carter

I'll Lock Up
astaire said:
You're most correct about the size issue Carter. I am glad that bigger sized hats have become available for you guys.

I also agree about the effects of the current state of the economy too.:(

But then again, this is a Cavanagh. Would be pretty difficult to find a hat in terms of quality that can beat a Cavanagh, no?

Something about the crown makes this hat very handsome:

cavanaghhat68.jpg
[/IMG]

They are hard to find and it's a beauty. If only it were my size.

astaire

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
Wow, astaire, that was certainly a steal on that Cavanagh. And with a box, to boot. Cavanaghs with wider brims are rare birds, too. It should have gone for much more.

Brad
Thank you Brad.

I've been a lounger for two and half years and have always waited patiently for a Cavanagh like this. During these times, i have probably only seen one like it and it was one size smaller. Perhaps i have missed others.

When the time finally came, i put my highest bid for more than three times the winning bid. I was stunned at the final outcome and do consider myself very lucky.

Also as lucky because i was bidding from my cellular phone at the airport. The bid came 4 seconds before the end of the auction. I seriously thought i was going to miss it. Can you imagine the adrenaline rush?

carter

I'll Lock Up
It must be because "Night of the Lepus" was on TV.

astaire, I just realized that when I wrote that "there have been a lot of nicer hats available recently" you probably thought I meant nicer than that Cavanagh. That was not my intent. What I meant was that there seem to be more hats of the "nicer" variety (including the Cavanagh). I apologize for the confusion.

BTW, Nice win. Especially since you made the bid from an airport using a cellular telephone. Yes, I can imagine the adrenaline rush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy