Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
So you did. Sorry about that.
That Dobbs is fantastic too. I had head loathing, but now my 7 1/2 is just flat out depressed.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That bantam looks like the mid '30s one, like in this ad.
bantam1934.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
thunderw21 said:
That's a lovely old hat.

"all it needed was a little love"

A little bit of brushing, or a few times around with one of the coarse orange hat sponges, to align the long nap and cover the moth nibbles, and a good centerdent crease and you'd have something. I think it sold for 12 bucks or so. Size 7. What a steal. Heck of an old hat.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
A little bit of brushing, or a few times around with one of the coarse orange hat sponges, to align the long nap and cover the moth nibbles, and a good centerdent crease and you'd have something. I think it sold for 12 bucks or so. Size 7. What a steal. Heck of an old hat.

Wow, someone got a deal. What would you date it? Teens or '20s?

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Flagship

Considering that they are fairly hard to come by, I think this was a good price for the size $35. I paid about $50 for a size 7 two years ago.

stibbons

New in Town
There isn't much on the Australian market in my size at all, let alone hats that aren't Akubras, so I thought I got a pretty good price on this size 7 1/8 Knox.

It turned up this morning, and is indeed a great looking hat, a much richer colour than it looks in those photos, and it's in good condition. But the seller seems to have neglected mentioning that it doesn't have a sweatband at all. Everything else about it is excellent, just... no sweat.

Thought about it, and decided I'm going to keep it, because I'm still sure that's a good price for what it is. But it wasn't a very pleasant surprise, and now I have to find a hatter in Sydney who can fix it up.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman,

If you're looking to sell it, I'm interested as I know you're a size 7 1/8. PM me if you like.

Cheers

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
sewn underwelt on that one. We've got flagships with triple stitched overwelts (the advertisements, and some I've seen here), triple stitched underwelts (this one) single stitched underwelts (douglas's, I think), and pressed underwelts with no stitching through the top (mine). We've got different sweatband widths, reeded vs. unreeded. A lot of variation within one model.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Please explain a pressed welt. I've seen you use that term several times and don't understand how the welt can stay pressed in without either stitching or the self-felting process.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
it's stitched, but not through the top; it's a different kind of stitch. Then it's pressed, I'm not exactly sure how, so you get the welt on the smooth side of the felt, so it looks like a cavanagh edge from one side, but without such expense. I'll try to find a shot showing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara