Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Unlucky Berman, that is one nice lid.....

It is the color I am looking for and my size too..... good thing i didn't spot that one or we both might have bid it up too high lol

Enjoy your new hat.
15gux53.gif

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Berman- that's a nice looking hat. It looks to be from the mid '60s at the oldest, going by the sweatband. Looks like it has a cavanagh edge, which is always nice. And a "20" from a custom guy is probably nicer than a "20" made by a more major hat company. I know the vintage customs I have are quite a bit nicer than comparable stetsons and the like, at the same price point.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
lc1484 said:
I won this on ebay...can anyone give me some insight on this Dobbs stingy...it is clean, but the felt is like a synthetic type, very flimsy like a ballcap...it has a cloth sweatband that says COMFIT...
20 bucks shipped, i was curious...is it worth sending it out to put a leather sweatband on it? it is like a crushable hat

Interesting to see "comfit" being used to describe this kind of sweatband. in the '40s, it was used by Dobbs and Knox to describe a corrugation pressed into the leather with a pad behind it to allow some flex to the fit. Hat companies seem to have liked recycling model names and feature names.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
He bids, HE SCORES!

Got this DOBBS for $25. It's a 7 1/8, brand new and untouched according to the seller. 2" brim, 2" hat band and 5" crown, sweeeet! Hopefully the crown doesn't have a slope like my Bond hat and fits well right off the bat. If all goes well, My Bond "Executive" just may be back on the market.

BrownDobbs.jpg

HPIM2451.jpg

I'm a little torn with replacing this hat, but the sloped "trilby" look kinda rubs me the wrong way. I dunno. [huh] I like the crown straight up and down.

Film Noir

New in Town
Nice foldable Borsalino

Recently won one of those foldable Borsalino with the little white violin case shaped box to store it in. The thing looks brand new and is a beautiful felt. I'll try to get a picture up. Any one else have one of these?

MattJH

One Too Many
Film Noir said:
Recently won one of those foldable Borsalino with the little white violin case shaped box to store it in. The thing looks brand new and is a beautiful felt. I'll try to get a picture up. Any one else have one of these?

I've seen a lot of people post pictures of theirs here over the years. I'm on a constant lookout for one in my size, but at 7 5/8 it's a daunting task.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
I like the Champ above a lot, especially if the feather was removed! :)

A few bigheads that I skipped out on but are worth mentioning:

A 7 3/4 L.L. Bean exclusive Stetson (probably the Moose River, which I had once but didn't like - the felt was like cardboard)

A NOS 7 5/8 stingy Resistol with tags and all

A 7 5/8 Luca's that you rarely see

I'm not much of a feather guy. I take them off all my hats, though normally I save them just in case I ever do want one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou