Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
I made a low (I thought) bid on a poorly-listed Champ Featherweight and won for $21.71.
The seller states that it is a Stetson in the original box and is made of wool. I'm hoping this is just a really poor listing. If it isn't, I just won a wool Stetson in a Champ Featherweight box. It'll be interesting to see what shows up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=150330499952

That doesn't look like what I think of for a Champ Featherweight, but with luck you scored a good Stetson. Be sure to show us!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Dagwood said:
Obviously, not an everyday hat. In almost flawless condition. Posted in honor of Mr. Chevalier:
pict01262.jpg
pict0125h.jpg

pict01232.jpg
pict01242.jpg

Man! When was this on eBay, Dagwood? How much did it go for? I completely missed it! :eusa_doh:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Never mind: I found it. (Curses, Buy-It-Now!) http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Quality-Vintage-Top-Hat-Oviatts-Los-Angeles-7-5-8_W0QQitemZ120389109739QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Clothing?hash=item120389109739&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Dagwood

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Man! When was this on eBay, Dagwood? How much did it go for? I completely missed it! :eusa_doh:

...Never mind: I found it. (Curses, Buy-It-Now!)

It was only a 3-day auction. At the price offered, I couldn't pass up the Buy-It-Now option.

MattJH

One Too Many
A serious sign of our current global economy - a 7 3/4 Dobbs and a 7 3/4 Dobbs 20 that, combined, went for under $62.00 before shipping. Two years ago, the cost would've easily been double (stingy-brimmed and all). If I had known they'd end so low, I would've gone for them.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Somebody is up to some monkey business!! A Stetson Playboy 7 3/8 was removed on its first day of listing. I "smells" a buyout. Whodunnit? :eusa_doh:

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
rlk said:
I took a chance, it has no liner but supposedly no moth problems. Also unsure of the size. It was listed in Ladies Hats 1946-1967. At least I live within an easy drive of Optimo. I'll post when it arrives.
Looking at the e-bay ad, I'd be a bit leery...

My trust in a seller's honesty is inversely proportional to the number of "!!!'s" they use in their description of an item.

Let us know how the lid looks after all is said and done!

Daoud

One of the Regulars
BlindeMan said:
Looking at the e-bay ad, I'd be a bit leery...

My trust in a seller's honesty is inversely proportional to the number of "!!!'s" they use in their description of an item.

Let us know how the lid looks after all is said and done!

Sorry, but I have to call you on that one......when I'm creating an eBay ad I sometimes use exclamation marks just to fill up space in the header. Perhaps your trust in a seller's honesty should be predicated on their actions, not their use of punctuation.

rlk said:
I took a chance, it has no liner but supposedly no moth problems. Also unsure of the size. It was listed in Ladies Hats 1946-1967. At least I live within an easy drive of Optimo. I'll post when it arrives.

The seller is quite clear about the size of the hat. He/she gives clear interior front-to-back and side-to-side measurements. These are every bit as useful as an interior circumference measurement. Every hat wearer should be aware of those measurements as they pertain to a hat that fits them well.

Incidentally this one will probably end up being about a 7 LO to 7 1/8.

bk

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
The seller is quite clear about the size of the hat. He/she gives clear interior front-to-back and side-to-side measurements. These are every bit as useful as an interior circumference measurement. Every hat wearer should be aware of those measurements as they pertain to a hat that fits them well.

Incidentally this one will probably end up being about a 7 LO to 7 1/8.

bk
You are of course assuming they have the ability to measure correctly. I've received 7-1/4's measured at 21-1/2" and a 6-1/2 x 8 that measured about 23-1/2" circumference when I received it. The original size is often more useful as at least the potential size of the hat even if it has shrunken to some extent. The "precise" measurement only works when the seller knows what they are doing. Most times I've inquired the sellers measurement of the circumference differs from the tag by an average of 1/2-1". The tag is usually more accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou