Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
Lefty said:
That oldie is an interesting piece, but I can't see wearing it.

Why couldn't you see wearing it? Looks like a great hat!

Feltfan,

I believe Lefty was referring to my old Dobbs. lol

Actually, I really can't see myself wearing it, either, but my wife has definitely announced that it's hers so it may get worn after all.

Regards,
Tom

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Explain This.........

I was tracking both of these Stetsons and would love to see this explained...
20X Stetson ...... $58.99 :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140315243581
20x1.jpg

20x2.jpg

10X Stetson ....... $204.61 :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360145567153

10x1.jpg

10x2.jpg

All I know, If I ever sell a Cowboy Hat, John Waynes Picture will be there ;) ;)

tinmanzzz said:
I was tracking both of these Stetsons and would love to see this explained...
For me, the higher price comes due to that hat pin & the liner that indicate this is a VINTAGE 10X opposed to the other being a fairly modern 20X. 10X vs 20X can't be used to judge these 2 hats. IMHO

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Same Vintage

gtdean48 said:
For me, the higher price comes due to that hat pin & the liner that indicate this is a VINTAGE 10X opposed to the other being a fairly modern 20X. 10X vs 20X can't be used to judge these 2 hats. IMHO
The Sweatbands are the same. The 20X's hatband has a Silver buckle while the 10X has the pin.
the both are "morden" hats post 70's

[huh] Then I guess it is the art of the pitch & the seller caught another audience using the word "vintage" in his description. That or he got bidders caught up in winning the bid instead of what they should actually pay for the hat. Happens all the time. I sold 2 western hats, 1 was clearly the better hat but the other went higher. The main difference was the crown height. Same color, same crease, same brim but 1 was a lower crown profile. These 2 are different brim sizes & creases which may have been key in who bid & wanted them.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
both of those black hats look pretty new to me

feltfan & ty - yep, I was talking about the dobbs.

buler - thanks. If the hat isn't my size, I don't look into it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Lefty, seller told me it said clear beaver on it. I passed it up because the first photos that were posted showed quite a bit of mothing on the underside of the brim. Still a great price for 7X CB.

B

Same here - I don't look long at moth-bites in felt or holes in straw - there are just too many great inexpensive hats available to deal with that. Dirt, I can handle.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Same here - I don't look long at moth-bites in felt or holes in straw - there are just too many great inexpensive hats available to deal with that. Dirt, I can handle.

Yes this hat had some issues. Wasn't the sweatband torn and repaired in a couple spots as well?

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Yes it was......

carouselvic said:
Yes this hat had some issues. Wasn't the sweatband torn and repaired in a couple spots as well?

I noticed that they dropped the pictures of sweatband and the moth damage when they edited :eek: :eek:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:

Yeah, I remember that too.

I get to put my money where my mouth is now - BIN'd this Borsalino. I have two very similar ones that were very easy to clean up, so fingers are crossed. The seller sent me a pic of the interior and assured me that it had no damage other than the stains in the pic. Also, size label looked like 3/8 in the pic he sent me, not 3/4. We'll see - a little gamble.

Ratty Borsalino on ebay

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
We'll see - a little gamble.

No worries. A new hat of that quality runs 200 bucks or more today. If it turns out to be really bad, for 80 bucks that includes shipping, Catalena Hatters will make it 100% new in any size you want, and you'll still be ahead.

Like this 40-dollar Borso that turned out to need everything:

361575384.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Bob Smalser said:
No worries. A new hat of that quality runs 200 bucks or more today. If it turns out to be really bad, for 80 bucks that includes shipping, Catalena Hatters will make it 100% new in any size you want, and you'll still be ahead.

Like this 40-dollar Borso that turned out to need everything:

361575384.jpg

Thanks, Bob - that might be what ends up happening. I traded my girlfriend's favorite hat (a nice old Borso) for $280 worth of dog-sitting, so I 'need' a new off-white one to replace it.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tango Yankee said:
Feltfan,

I believe Lefty was referring to my old Dobbs. lol

Actually, I really can't see myself wearing it, either, but my wife has definitely announced that it's hers so it may get worn after all.

Regards,
Tom
Ah, I get it now.
Man, all that ribbing I get from my partner about my hats sounds
pretty good now. She has yet to claim one of my hats.
I'd be worried for you, Tom, if I didn't know (er, roughly)
how many hats you have!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
Ah, I get it now.
Man, all that ribbing I get from my partner about my hats sounds
pretty good now. She has yet to claim one of my hats.
I'd be worried for you, Tom, if I didn't know (er, roughly)
how many hats you have!

Just wait - it's sure to happen. My girlfriend gave me grief until about the tenth hat, which I was about to dispose of for being too small, she said "oh, that's cute..."

Now she has a beautiful brown fedora with a wide black ribbon, and I no longer get grief :)

On a different note....I just received this:

Hat form or block?

I am not completely sure what it is, but I figured it could be useful since I'm getting into refurbishing hats now. It's about 6" high, marked at my size (7 1/4), and the brim part is marked 2 3/4", which seems about what I like.

So now...what do I do with it? I figured at the least, it would make brushing easier.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Wormser Panama

Let me guess...I've been out-sniped by rlk again:

Wormser Panama

On a brighter note, this one just arrived, and it is AWESOME. The only issue is size. I liked it so much that I rationalized that it might have shrunk a bit over the last 70 years, but alas...it's massive, but so nice I'm ready to add as much to the liner as necessary to wear it:

Knox Panama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic