Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

kiltie

Practically Family
billysmom said:
I put in a bid for this before I went to bed and woke up to an invoice! :D

homburg1.jpg

homburg5.jpg

Sue

Really, REALLY nice. :eusa_clap

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Unless one comes up that is an extremely unusual color, I'm done for a while.

That's what we all say;) Hard to argue with rarity and beauty. Seriously though That Playboy and Standard are two of the finest I've seen as far as shape, proportion and condition regardless of color.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
I picked this up mainly for the box.

That's one heck of an interesting box! And it is (or was) within 25 miles of where I'm sitting right now. If I'd seen the auction I may have contacted the seller just to get a look at it in person.

Enjoy!

Tom

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
I picked this up mainly for the box. The Derby looks like it will need some work and with the sweat missing, it may not have any other manufacturers mark anywhere. I guess we'll find out when it gets here and I can decide whether the hat is worth restoring.

What we do know is that the United Hatters of America union existed from 1886-1934, so this hat is from somewhere in there - as is, I suspect, the rather fetching box. Anyone else got a box like this?

And while I'm asking, do any of you wise souls know where I can get a vintage 7 1/4 leather sweat?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110457013000&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I saw that one. I'll be interested to see more of the hat, but chances are very slim that the Derby is a Dobbs. First, the hatbox is for a top hat, so it doesn't belong with the hat. Second, the size tag doesn't look like a standard Dobbs tag, though I haven't seen one from the first few years of production. The Dobbs brand started production in the fall of 1908, and the United Hatters were gone from the factory following a strike in 1909, so that gives a slim window of about a year for this hat to be a Dobbs. If so, it's the earliest Dobbs I've seen. Third, the ribbon work on the back of the brim doesn't look like it came from the C&K factory.

Still, we need a better look, and you certainly got a good deal on an early Derby. I'd be willing to bet this Derby is actually from the late-19th century, just judging from the style.

Don't know where to get vintage sweatbands without ripping them out of a hat, but I believe Art Fawcett sells replacement sweatbands that will do the best job of replicating an early sweatband.

Shows us more of the hat when you receive it.

Brad

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Thanks Brad. That's terrific feedback.

My guess is we'll never know the hat's origins - but I'll certainly post photos when it arrives. Have you seen a similar hatbox, or have any idea when this style was used? I'm guessing early 20th Century, but it is just a guess as I've not seen one quite like it before.

Late 18th Century for the hat is interesting. The Derbys did have that distinctive short curled brim at that time. It may have been more of a find than I realised.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS said:
That's what we all say;) Hard to argue with rarity and beauty. Seriously though That Playboy and Standard are two of the finest I've seen as far as shape, proportion and condition regardless of color.

Thanks - just when I think I don't 'need' any more, a few more that I 'need' show up. At least this one didn't break the bank:

Playboy Vita Felt

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim,

I've seen other Dobbs top hat boxes like that before, but only a couple, so you've got another rarity. I don't know how long they used that style, or have an age for it. I've seen less fanciful ones from the '20s.

Brad

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Thanks again Brad. So we are probably looking at something from the first decade or so of Dobb's production (assuming that these boxes became less fanciful with time). The top hat and stovepipe were still popular as business attire at that time, though it seems this gave way to the fedora and homburg as the 20s progressed into the 30s.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda