Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Levallois

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Well, before we get into full-on "eBay gone wild" mode, I'll admit that the Borso "Misto" is heading my way. More than I figured on spending? Yes. But I think it promises to be an extraordinary lid -- light brown heather felt with a cav edge and a beautiful ribbon treatment...

BorsalinoMisto.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

WOW! I hung in for a while but was not even close. Beautiful hat!

John

billysmom

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Well, before we get into full-on "eBay gone wild" mode, I'll admit that the Borso "Misto" is heading my way. More than I figured on spending? Yes. But I think it promises to be an extraordinary lid -- light brown heather felt with a cav edge and a beautiful ribbon treatment...

BorsalinoMisto.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Gorgeous, jtl! Merry Christmas to you!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

derby

New in Town
jimmy the lid said:

BorsalinoMisto.jpg

Cheers,
JtL
Hey JIMMY I was on you, I just knew that was you!! P-ssed me of but since I found it was you for sure it's OK . CONGRATULATION. GLAD YOU GOT IT ENJOY! HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
M_Jones said:
I've got one in a lighter color. It is a truly great hat and worthy of the price you paid. It has been said again and again but they just cannot reproduce these things anymore like they used to.

Mine is kind of speckled and I would be interested to know if yours is the same. Great lid, Jimmy! :)

Many thanks, folks -- especially from fellow bidders. [Derby -- I had no idea that was you! :eek: :eek:] Much appreciated!

I gave Santa some leeway in bidding on this hat, since I have a pretty good sense from my Stetson Casual what this felt is going to be like. Yes, M Jones, it is a "speckled" felt. I refer to this as "heather" (just a term I use to describe it) -- a mixture of colors blended together. The name of this lid is "Misto", which translates to "mixture" and is probably used to describe the nature of the felt. On my Stetson Casual, the felt looks like this:

Felt.jpg

Stetson refers to this as a "pebble finish." Very soft, unique texture. I do not have a Borso with a Cav edge, so that is a bonus, as well. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

buler

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Many thanks, folks -- especially from fellow bidders. [Derby -- I had no idea that was you! :eek: :eek:] Much appreciated!

I gave Santa some leeway in bidding on this hat, since I have a pretty good sense from my Stetson Casual what this felt is going to be like. Yes, M Jones, it is a "speckled" felt. I refer to this as "heather" (just a term I use to describe it) -- a mixture of colors blended together. The name of this lid is "Misto", which translates to "mixture" and is probably used to describe the nature of the felt. On my Stetson Casual, the felt looks like this:

Stetson refers to this as a "pebble finish." Very soft, unique texture. I do not have a Borso with a Cav edge, so that is a bonus, as well. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Great catch JTL! Nice xmas present. I'd wear it.

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
M_Jones said:
This would be my second big disappointment of the day....Scott nabbed the first hat I was sure I was going to win and I am guessing one of you all won this....Sigh.....What a great looking hat....

rlk got that Austrian one - out of all the great hats reeled in from ebay yesterday, this one was probably the best bargain.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:

Cheers,
JtL

Jimmy, I'm just glad this beautiful hat kept you occupied and away from the one I pulled in - I was waiting for your snipe to push me up to $325

barrowjh

One Too Many
Feather - dead giveaway, plus, its a very narrow stingy-brim. As early as the 1960s, but could be more recent. The wide ribbon suggests 1960s - I think that more recent hats would have a ribbon closer to 1" wide, where that hat's ribbon looks wider than the brim. The 'fifteen' on the sweatband also says 1960s (maybe late 1950s?) as that was a general reference to price as a standard of quality, and in more recent years, $15 would not buy much of a hat. However, since I was not a hat wearer back then, maybe someone more expert will step in and help.

Marc-Ange Draco

New in Town
Thanks for the very swift answer John, i actually thought it might be newer than that due to the metric size on the tag but, as i said, i am no expert!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
barrowjh said:
Feather - dead giveaway, plus...

Of what? I have a 1942 Disney that came with a feather, as well as a 1950-53 Knox, a mid '40s Mode Edge, etc, etc. People have been wearing feathers in hats for a long time.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Feather

OK, I am surprised by that, ScottF. I thought the feathers in Fedoras became popular about mid-50's and became standard in the 1960s. Yes, I know that putting a feather in your hat is a tradition that goes back centuries, but I am just talking US fashion (or thought I was!). Have others seen hat advertisements (or vintage era pics) showing feathers prior to mid-1950s? I wonder sometimes if the sellers put feathers in fedoras because they think that vintage fedoras are 'missing' a feather?

billyspew

One Too Many
barrowjh said:
OK, I am surprised by that, ScottF. I thought the feathers in Fedoras became popular about mid-50's and became standard in the 1960s. Yes, I know that putting a feather in your hat is a tradition that goes back centuries, but I am just talking US fashion (or thought I was!). Have others seen hat advertisements (or vintage era pics) showing feathers prior to mid-1950s? I wonder sometimes if the sellers put feathers in fedoras because they think that vintage fedoras are 'missing' a feather?

1942 Stetson Eagle
001-16.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
barrowjh said:

My 1942 Disney is green with a Burgundy pug. Sometime after I'd had it, I felt a lump near where the pug attached, and found an old burgundy feather that had been pushed beneath ages ago. It matched the pug, so I think it came with the hat. The other two hats I mention had feathers so old that they had discolored the felt behind them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou