Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay larger sized suit alert!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Woohoo! Thanks Bob!

This tan double breasted 46/48L suit is now mine :D

65785277.jpg

Going by her measurements, it should fit perfectly. I have wide shoulders, and a smallish waist in comparison, which is what makes it hard for me to find a modern suit to wear. This will be my first vintage.

Thanks again!

havershaw

Practically Family
Awesome!

That suit in particular was the one I was hoping someone from here would get. The color is killer.

Congratulations!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I got it today... it's absolutely beautiful, skeleton lined, perfect condition. Only thing is it fits like a 44 instead of a 48. I could barely get my arms into it, and couldn't come close to buttoning it.

Doggone shame. If anybody wears a 44 and would like a perfect vintage suit, let me know. I am going to talk to the seller about doing a return, but if I can't, then it's going up for sale.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
N,

How tall are you? Like 7'-4" or something ;) ?

Really, though, this could be taken in, I suppose, right? I wear a 42 long typically, 34x32 pants...think this could work?

N

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm 6'6". :)
It's probably too long to be a short. The coat is long enough for me, the sleeves are almost long enough for me, but it's too tight in the shoulders/chest.

It probably would fit you, Cab.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Zohar's suit

Here are some pictures from 1940, boys (and girls if you drop by)...sorta.

It mostly fits. As I told Zohar, the pants are comfortable, but certainly there is no NEED for suspenders. I think the length is just about right. The jacket I think would be comparable to today's 42 regular. The sleeves I think are a bit short and the jacket length could be a hair longer. That is, if I am comparing it to my modern 42 long suit jacket. I think this could be altered to fit very well, as it doesn't appear to me that too much would have to be done.

What think all of you?

66718974.jpg
66718969.jpg
66718962.jpg
66718958.jpg

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
It amazes me that that suit still doesn't have wrinkles in it after all of that shipping in an envelope.

Looks great on you...I just wish it had fit me!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's a beautiful suit! I've always loved the grey double-breasted suits.

I don't think you should alter the sleeves, just wear a shirt with a little longer shirt. That way, you'd have about a half-inch of shirt cuff showing, which is proper.

Brad

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Thank you boys.

Brad, a shirt with a longer shirt, eh?LOL I like it. Uh...I know. You meant like a t-shirt under the dress shirt. Yes, that would work. Of course, I just poke a little gentle fun.

I suppose a longer shirt sleeve would warrant a little bigger size. That is to say, my dress shirts, numbering but a few, all fit nicely - good sleeve length, etc. Wouldn't I need a little bigger around shirt-sleeve cuff in order for it to extend "onto" my hand a little?

Oh, and the color is actually more tan than grey. Although, it sure does look grey, even in the color pic I posted. I'd say it's kinda that taupey look I have been kinda looking for. And there is a pin stripe of either pink or orange. I'm going to say orange. Orange.

Cab

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Er, I meant to say a shirt with a little longer sleeves. I don't think my morning coffee had kicked in yet.

Hmm, probably right about wearing a bigger shirt to get bigger cuffs. I was thinking of French cuffs, which I wear, and do tend to come down on the hand more than a barrel cuff.

Don't want to look baggy, though, I guess, which a larger shirt would probably. Now, if you had the shirts custom made....

Brad

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
First vintage suit? Indeed, it is. Were it not for my shared namesake, Zohar, I would still be without.

You know, it's funny about putting that suit on, and looking in the mirror as you go. Shirt - okay, nothing too special about that. Tie - modern, but nice. Pants - uh, what year is this? Shoes - nice, but wish I had some more authentic looking shoes. Jacket - Is Rod Serling around? And the hat. I tell you, it feels so cool to wear real clothes from this era. Costumes are fun, and work well for their respective shows, but the real deal does feel...well, cool. Not rushing out to buy another one. Shucks, I haven't paid Zohar for this one yet. But I am appreciating more all the time why vintage is so appealing. I suppose it's only natural. I've listened to "golden" music for a long, long time now, and prefer it for performing.

I appreciate the comments, fellas. Zo, I reckon I will be keeping it. We'll settle up soon.

Cab

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cabinetman

Looks like that suit fits well, now, about coat length, I looked and it appears to be long enough. In the 40's, suit coats were not as long as coats today. The sleeves are perfect for a vintage look. Brad is right about a longer sleeved shirt. I would go with a nice French cuff so you could sport some nice cuff links.

Are you wearing you pants high or low? If you were to wear them at the proper place, then they might hang better. Try wearing them at the navel if you're not already.

Any way, good suit and if you need a vintage 40's tie to go with, I can help.

Root.

PS. I know all about that cool vintage feel! Soon as I got my first vintage suit, it was only going to be vintage from then on! And, it has.;)

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Boy, I gotta get outa here, but real quick:

Matt - I'll review more later, but the armholes are definitely smaller; it's a closer fit for sure there, but not uncomfortable. I've not done any litmus testing yet. I'll get back to ya here later.

Root - Okay, so the length is good. Great. The pants are more comfortable to wear higher and, based on the pattern/cut, I would concede this is correct. If worn "incorrectly" there is way too much room in the seat and crotch.

More later. My tools are crying.

Cab

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, cool! Sounds like you know how to wear a vintage suit. Good stuff!

You let me know if I can help you find some shoes and neck wear for your new suit.

All the best,

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner