Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay shoe finds

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great Buy Zohar!

I have bought several pairs of shoes on Ebay used....Allen Edmonds. You know the spectators I got, wonderful chesnut and white wingtips.

You can't go wrong if you find the reputable person. Seconds. factory returns. Gently worn. That is what I look for. I got burned ONCE by a lady in LA....never again from her! I only stick to the guys that sell only shoes on Ebay.

So this should save you that three hour drive?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes, it absolutely did. I got these for around what it would cost for gas to get up to their factory store in Burlington, NC.

I also now know that a 15D will fit fine, and I am going to special order a pair of brown and white spectator wingtips from them tomorrow.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Good job Zohar! Those have that very classic look;) Some people I talk to cant stand the thought of a used shoe. Well, in some respects I'm the same. But, when they are lightly used and have plenty of wear left in them, I say score! If I find a dirty pare of vintage shoes in my size I will buy them for cheep and then fix them up.

Any way, good job on the shoes! I don't even have a pair of black cap toes my self! :rolleyes: Mr. Vintage here needs to get with the program!

Enjoy,

Root.

Yep, if Zohar can find 'em in 15D :)eek: ) then you can find a nice pair for a reasonable price. I got a pair of 11D Johston Murphy Optimas for .99 on eBay. It cost me more to get them shipped out to me than I paid for the shoes. Plenty of wear left in them too. Good for another 100,000 miles. LOL

Regards to all,

J

As long as you are willing to pay in the over $100 range you should be able to get them. They are pretty good shoes. Once you break them in. Just make sure this is your size (9 1/2 EEE). That could involve going to the local mall and trying the fit of the exact same pair of shoes before you decide to bid. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes, go make sure of the fit. AE's are made on a bunch of different lasts, so one may fit quite different from another even though they are the same size.
I can wear a 15D in the Park Avenue, because it's on a #5 last, which is long and skinny. The spectators I ordered will have to be a 15C because they are built on a wider last (found that out today).

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Allen Edmonds

Did the sample shoes arrive already? You'll have to post a picture of the color samples so the rest of us can see, and order. Your experience with AE Shoes is great, and their custom shop is "customer service #1".

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nope, they haven't arrived yet.

For those of you that don't know, I am in the process of ordering a custom pair of Allen Edmonds spectator "Broadstreet" shoes, but in tan/brown and white. They are sending me a pair in black to see how they fit, along with some color samples (white, and all of their browns), so I can decide what color combination to go with. Terrific company to work with on something like this. The sales rep didn't even flinch when I told her what I wanted.

I want a pair similar to these AE 1992 Olympic specials that Andykev has.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Those Olympic models go for what the seller feels they are worth. So, it depends. But, I saw a pair of those for sell at the last vintage expo in Santa Monica for $75. They were a size 10 ?Ǭ? and looked like new. Too bad I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a size 12D. Although I have three pairs of brown and whites my self. I need a good pair of black and whites. Wing tips or cap toes will do.

Maybe something like these?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

Regards.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Originally posted by MK
Those DO look swell. Andykev might not want to know....but I do. How much are they going to run?

They charge $100 over the retail cost of a pair of their shoes, so total will be $385. However, once you decide to do a special order, you can get whatever options you want with no extra charges. The $100 covers anything you want to do with them.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
These brown cap toe Knapp Bros shoes came in last night. They appear to me to be better made than the Allen Edmonds.

f0_1.JPG

Knapp now only makes safety shoes, and the lady I talked to at Knapp said they are probably from the early 80's, as that's when they quit making dress shoes. This pair that I have are leather soled, and are definitely dress shoes. Fit is SUPERLATIVE.

Leather samples from AE came in today. When I get home, I'll post pictures for comparison.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Kyak looking buggers

Zohar, I could fold those in half and wear them twice! I thought they were canoes'!!

Hey, beautiful, and a great color too! New old stock, or sligtly worn?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Found them slightly worn on ebay in the second link above.

Samples from AE came in today, along with a pair of Chesters for sizing, so I can make sure I'm getting the proper size before I have them make a pair in Chestnut and White that are non-returnable.

They're giving away a free pair of cedar shoe trees with every purchase right now too. I get to keep those, and send the shoes back. Leather samples. Chestnut is on the right, Tan is on the left. White kid glove leather is in the center. I'm going to go with Chestnut, as the Tan will probably be a bit too casual. They're pretty much going to be a canoe-sized copy of your Olympic specials seen above. :D

110_1020-vi.jpg

110_1023-vi.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Allen Edmonds

As we chatted on the phone tonight, definately go with the chestnut. The tan is way too pale , and I don't think you'll be happy with them.

Congrats! Free cedar shoe trees to boot! (pun intended):)

My vintage shoes from the Olympics are what you liked..and you are going to be hard pressed to find a new or like new pair in YOUR SIZE. If you love the color of what I luckily found on Ebay...go for it!

I just think guys who wear a size 8 shoe like me should pay 1/2 what a 15+ guy like you doesLOL LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21