Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay UK

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Has anyone had much luck finding great stuff on Ebay UK? A few quick searches seem to indicate that there is less variety there than I would have supposed. For one thing, the "Men's Clothing," "Men's Shoes," and "Men's Accessories" categories do not appear to be sub-categorized. (The "Men's Jewellery" category -- interesting spelling -- is sub-categorized.) There is also a "Men's Vintage Clothing & Accessories" category -- maybe there are excellent items there?

If you have bought through Ebay UK, are the shipping charges really punitive?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Patrick Murtha said:
Has anyone had much luck finding great stuff on Ebay UK? A few quick searches seem to indicate that there is less variety there than I would have supposed. For one thing, the "Men's Clothing," "Men's Shoes," and "Men's Accessories" categories do not appear to be sub-categorized. (The "Men's Jewellery" category -- interesting spelling -- is sub-categorized.) There is also a "Men's Vintage Clothing & Accessories" category -- maybe there are excellent items there?

It's frustrating (compared to the USA)... the postage is more expensive... there is surpisingly little vintage merchandise but ...there are some gems there.;) ;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Patrick Murtha said:

Yes, eBay is very different from Country to Country.
Categories vary vastly.
Fun.

UK postal charges have been raised recently, so I would imagine it could hurt.

"Men's Jewellery".
Spelling is correct- uninteresting:) .

B
T

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Patrick Murtha said:

I've found some bits and pieces, but Britain is simply not as big as America, so there is bound to be less choice than on ebay.com.

Royal Mail shipping charges tend to be quite high (especially given the level of service delivered), especially overseas, and probably seem especially high relative to US prices because of the poor showing of the dollar ATM.

Jewellery is the normal spelling of that word. The OED doesn't even bother to list the American conventional mis-spelling.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
For more reasonable shipping from the UK, try asking for surface mail; approx. half the price of airmail. From across this side of the pond, buying from the US has got a lot less attractive since USPS dropped its surface mail equivalent.

fernande

Vendor
Anthony Jordan said:
For more reasonable shipping from the UK, try asking for surface mail; approx. half the price of airmail. From across this side of the pond, buying from the US has got a lot less attractive since USPS dropped its surface mail equivalent.

I have seen some extremely gorgeous pieces on Ebay UK. There are a couple auction houses in london that do live auctions and they have lots of the most amazing 20s, 30s, 40s dresses. I cringe because with the GBP, I'd never be able to resell them, but when I win the lottery I'm going to bid on them all!

The Cons: The only thing I find really annoying (and I'm sure many of us FL'ers as well) is that the reproductions are mixed with the old, of course this happens sometimes on Ebay US but its a great deal more rare as of late.

Id say 70% of the pieces are repros- I don't understand why Ebay UK doesn't just see this and separate them. I know its probably an issue with not enough stuff being posted, so its all just crammed together-but it drives me craaaaaazy.
Of course, from my experience as a vintage enthusiast- I can tell in an instant if something is real vintage or just "inspired"- but I hate going through pages and pages of 1980s dresses trying to be passed off as 40s.

I have to say that Ebay USA has done a great job in separating these. There are plenty of people who do awesome repros (like Lauren H. our FL master seamstress) And I do buy repros sometimes- I just want to see those pieces in their own grouping or not masquarading as your great grandmother's.

I tend to see really impressive -as I like to say "serious" vintage- victorian to 30s pieces on Ebay UK. Especially CORSETS- purses and parasols, 30s chiffons- stuff that is harder to locate in the US, especially the beautiful Spitalfields style corsets.

I've even bit the bullet and bought some things and endured the horrible exchange rate (I'm american) to purchase them. I've never been disappointed!

Micawber

A-List Customer
Ebay UK is not the bargain hunting ground it once was but there are some gems still to be had especially if one is not hidebound in use of terms like 'vintage' etc. There are a number of dealers who tend to dominate if one uses the search function rather than browse.

Remember that financial constraints, clothing rationing, make do and mend and a raft of other factors play a big part in colouring what is on offer. Most clothes were used until they simply wore out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany