Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebbets Field Flannels

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
While I have a long love of many vintage elements--including saddle and spectator shoes, and tie bars, and nice old school collegiate looking tweed jackets and blue oxford button-downs--one of the longstanding, adolescent vintage loves I've never been able to shake is for classic athletic apparel.

On that note, do any of you know of Ebbets Field Flannels? They do absolutely beautiful (in my mind) reproductions of many lost team jerseys and caps from past eras.

Check them out at http://www.ebbets.com.

Some gorgeous stuff there.

Burnsie

Their stuff looks GREAT - the fact that they are not content to just put a vintage logo on a modern piece of apparel says it all! Authenticity counts!

carter

I'll Lock Up
That's Real Coffee!

They have some nice garments, Miles. Thanks for posting the link. I still have an old Washington Senators cap as well as a cap from the Atl. Braves farm team in my hometown, the Staunton (VA) Braves.

I've been trying for years to find a company (in the US or another country) that still makes the pullover athletic sweaters from the 40's. You know, the wool ones with a 4" ribbed waistband and a 4" ribbed cuff and a semi-boatneck. Any idea if these can be located anywhere in the known world?

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
My ballcap, etc.

I agree that the Ebbets stuff is lovely for its authenticity.

My preferred ballcap as a Tigers fan is the 1908 model depicted here:

http://www.dugout-memories.com/dettig.html

As for those vintage sweatshirts... I agree, those would be lovely to have. Ebbets has a nice utility garment, the fungo shirt, similar to those worn under pro jerseys. I've been considering getting some of those for lazy Saturdays: http://www.ebbets.com/FungoShirts.aspx

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I bought a bunch of gear from them in 1999-
some of it, I returned, due to the use of obviously plasticky,
nasty, synthetic materials(trimmings, decoration- not present in all their offerings) but the ball capsand Football Jerseys are pretty cool(even though they also use synthetic materials).

They're committing the same crime as all the rest- claiming vintage authenticity and under-delivering.

But I'm glad they exist.

B
T

Artigas

Familiar Face
I love the scene in Chariots of Fire where Abrahams and the other runners walk out onto the track. One of the Americans is wearing sweats, sunglasses, and a scarf. "I don't care if I look effeminate, I am manly enough to pull it off!" is the vibe I got. Kind of reminds one of WWI pilots, which makes sense, since this was the '24 Olympics.

CharlieWagner

New in Town
BellyTank said:
I bought a bunch of gear from them in 1999-
some of it, I returned, due to the use of obviously plasticky,
nasty, synthetic materials(trimmings, decoration- not present in all their offerings) but the ball capsand Football Jerseys are pretty cool(even though they also use synthetic materials).

They're committing the same crime as all the rest- claiming vintage authenticity and under-delivering.

But I'm glad they exist.

B
T

I understand your dissatisfaction with the quality around 1999. I have been a fan of Ebbets Field Flannels since the early to mid 90's. During the late 1990's they were purchase by Stahl and Dean. During that period the quality dropped off tremendously. A couple of years ago Jerry Cohen, the original owner, reaquired Ebbets Field Flannels. The quality of the product has improved since his reacquisiton. My only problem now is the failure to put a leather sweatband in the caps like they originally did.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Cooperstown Ballcaps...

I get the Ebbetts field catalog, and the jerseys look good (although I've never seen one "live"). Their ballcaps, however...don't do it for me. The shapes don't appear correct across the decades.

A company that has got the shapes--and everything else, to my eye--right is Cooperstown Ballcaps:

http://www.ballcap.com/

I do own one, and couldn't be more pleased with it. They offer hundreds and hundreds of documented caps...and will be happy to work with you if they don't have what you want. I was interested in having a ballcap worn by an early Skeet shooter in Utica NY reproduced...if only we could figure out what it had been! The owner, Will, was very helpful indeed. Highest recommendation.

This company has been mentioned before, but it seemed like it might be a good thing to do it here, as well. The older thread, with some pics, is HERE:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11911

"Skeet"

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Jerseys (not the state)

I've bought a few of their products and they are always top notch, and Ebbets Field Flannels is having a sale! Stay vintage even in sports gear!

Just a few winners:

1924 Rock Island Independents
riifj.jpg

1946 Buffalo Bisons
buffj.jpg

1936 Boston Shamrocks Football Jersey
bosfj.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
Good stuff! I got my eyes on that 1935 Homestead Grays jacket.

J. M. Stovall said:
I've bought a few of their products and they are always top notch, and Ebbets Field Flannels is having a sale! Stay vintage even in sports gear!

Just a few winners:

1924 Rock Island Independents
riifj.jpg

1946 Buffalo Bisons
buffj.jpg

1936 Boston Shamrocks Football Jersey
bosfj.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Bisons - football or baseball?

The jerseys look neat, but I think the company is a little confused about their sports. This is a Buffalo Bisons FOOTBALL jersey. The last season for the Buffalo Football Bisons was 1946. They changed their name to the Bills for another 3 seasons, and then went out of business when the old All America Conference folded. The current Buffalo Bills football team was born in 1960, with the old AFL. The website gives some interesting but irrelevant trivia about the Buffalo Bisons BASEBALL team, which, despite a current 2 - 15 record this season, is still going strong.
Edit: Actually they seem to have the copy for the football jersey and the baseball jersey switched.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
Was that jersey from back then also? I haven't seen any anachronistic materials on the stuff I bought lately. Just wondering.

It was a vintage Detroit Red Wings jersey- the type with the lace-up neck.
the winged wheel had a plastic backing, which was probably to stiffen the big logo but it really didn't need it. It was quite a disappointment, especially because it was marketed as an authentic vintage repro.

Can't see it on the Ebbets site.

I also have a stash of their T-shirts, fave is the '47 Roswell Rockets!

I like vintage baseball jerseys too. A long while back, I sold what seemed to be a genuine 1930s era Homestead Grays jersey but it could not be confirmed as genuine without sending it to the US. I waited a while, then eBay-ed it. I needed the money at the time. It really didn't seem like a repro.

I quite like vintage American sports apparel.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo