Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eccentrics

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I think eccentric is a lovely compliment -- if one happens to also be British. When you think of a "British Eccentric," you think of a colorful gentleman who goes hunting in evening clothes, wears a walrus moustache, and actually says HAW! HAW! when he laughs.

An "American Eccentric" tends to be a long-bearded urban hermit, who lives in a decaying house in a once-fashionable neighborhood, surrounded by tunnels of old newspaper, and mumbling incoherently to a cat.

(Except for the long beard, that would be me, actually.)
Real eccentrics have more cats, often including some no longer among the living. And they don't run the movie theater, they just hang out there and smell funny.

If you smell funny, I'll eat a tin of Kiwi in every color they make.
Not like it'd do any good. I'm just sayin'.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
GREY GARDENS. 'Nuff said.

I agree at first blush. However, taking a further look into the living conditions and behaviors I lean very much toward maladaptive behavior. But for, Jacqueline Onassis and her sister Lee Radziwill stepping in to assist these ladies their house would have been condemned. :eek:

I tend to think of eccentricity in these terms:

“People of uncommon abilities generally fall into eccentricities when their sphere of life is not adequate to their abilities.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe quotes (German Playwright, Poet, Novelist and Dramatist. 1749-1832)

or

“Eccentricity has always abounded when and where strength of character had abounded; and the amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius, mental vigor, and courage which it contained.”

John Stuart Mill quotes (English exponent of Utilitarianism, ethical theorist, Philosopher, Economist and Logician. 1806-1873)

From my perspective it is marked by characteristics like: creativity, genius and nonconformity. Not self destructive behavior. [huh]

shortbow

Practically Family
Well said CB. That's how I tend to look at it. Thoreau said "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." A condition exponentially worse than any perceived eccentricities on the part of those few who live artfully.

Trivial note for another possible origin: on a steam locomotive, an "eccentric" is one of the cranks that transfers power through the valve-gear--IIRC the one that joins the connecting rod (transferring power from the piston) to the main rod (which is the final step in getting it to the drive wheels). And like the traditional use of the terms "eccentric vs. concentric" (yes, there's a "concentric crank" too but heck if I remember where it is) it is noticeably off-center. Which is what I believe applying the term to people may have been intended as a very highbrow way of saying...

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Chateau Flight
via FoxyTunes

LordBest

Practically Family
I've been called an eccentric since I was three months old (according to mater), I personally choose to take it as a compliment by no means is it always intended as such.
It is an incredibly nebulous word, and with good reason. Eccentricity is eccentricity, it is nothing else. I consider it to be the ultimate form of individuality, eccentrics in my experience have no need to define themselves with reference to the external world, especially not with eccentricity. One of the biggest problems people seem to have with eccentricity is to define it by what eccentrics do, particularly in regard to hobbies. Eccentrics are not artists, poets, truck drivers, office workers, newt fanciers, bird watchers, train spotters, pig enthusiasts, eccentrics just are. To argue otherwise would be to say that by doing things you can become eccentric and this is simply not the case. You either are eccentric or you are not. Not being an eccentric does not mean you are not an individual or are 'conformist', however. As I said, it is nebulous.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
I tend to think of eccentricity in these terms:

“People of uncommon abilities generally fall into eccentricities when their sphere of life is not adequate to their abilities.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe quotes (German Playwright, Poet, Novelist and Dramatist. 1749-1832)

or

“Eccentricity has always abounded when and where strength of character had abounded; and the amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius, mental vigor, and courage which it contained.”

John Stuart Mill quotes (English exponent of Utilitarianism, ethical theorist, Philosopher, Economist and Logician. 1806-1873)

Along those lines -

At first glance, Einstein, Salvador Dali, Tony Hancock, and Beach Boy Brian Wilson would seem to have little in common. Their areas of physics, modern art, comedy, and rock music, are light years apart. So what, if anything, could possibly link minds that gave the world the theory of relativity, great surreal art, iconic comedy, and songs about surfing?

According to new research, psychosis could be the answer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...en-mental-illness-and-creativity-1678929.html

vonwotan

Practically Family
Personally, I have always found it a compliment. However, I agree with those who say that it makes a big difference where you live. In a very broad generalization, the UK appreciates its eccentrics where the US does not.

In some cities and within narrow circles here in the US, I do see that eccentricity is tolerated or appreciated. Between home and those pockets of civility an eccentric might have to tolerate some overtly negative comments or even hostility...

Foofoogal

Banned
I had to laugh at this thread as most of the small town people I have known would probably be tagged with this tag. I have known some characters and love people that are a bit different. I have had a knack for defending the underdog since childhood and this is probably why.
I think of Howard Hughes as mentally ill and not eccentric. There is a difference.

I have been concerned for years at the idea that children especially now are being made to walk step in line and not have the freedom to be themselves.
In day cares they line up to go to everything and have to conform to what ever is going on. I think children need freedom to just stare at the clouds for hours if they want to . This is a can of worms but I am so glad I was not on a schedule as a child.
Will there be any eccentrics in the coming generations?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
vonwotan said:
Personally, I have always found it a compliment. However, I agree with those who say that it makes a big difference where you live. In a very broad generalization, the UK appreciates its eccentrics where the US does not.
We, the US, are a younger society; that means we live closer to the nuts and bolts of practicality, even when we're fooling ourselves.

We're also a more egalitarian society; that means we expect others to live more or less as we do. "More" or "less" varies a lot, of course, but on the whole, we expect others to share certain basic values. We value freedom but not always individuality.

The German writer Theodor Adorno, who spent some time over here in the 40s, said Americans mostly had "freedom to choose what is always the same"; the market economy and WW2 had regimented us and the culture. I don't agree 100%; for instance, we had more and better choices in some areas then than now (if I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be a Lounger). But the idea had (and has) some truth. We seem to need to recognize each other as types; otherwise the frontier mentality takes hold and we circle up against the stranger.

In some cities and within narrow circles here in the US, I do see that eccentricity is tolerated or appreciated. Between home and those pockets of civility an eccentric might have to tolerate some overtly negative comments or even hostility...
I don't know that eccentricity is appreciated here until you get into narrow circles. 98 out of 100 are probably artistic, literary, or sexual communities - again, we're practical people, so you have to have a "why." I think the best you can do in the greater community, at least the urban one, is to be tolerated, which usually means ignored.

Foofoogal said:
I had to laugh at this thread as most of the small town people I have known would probably be tagged with this tag. I have known some characters and love people that are a bit different. I have had a knack for defending the underdog since childhood and this is probably why.
I think of Howard Hughes as mentally ill and not eccentric. There is a difference.
Yes, but I think we need to quantify it. Eccentricity is, in our larger society, a disorder, and we want a bright line where you can say, "she's eccentric," but "he's crazy."

We remember all the news reports where someone kills 14 people, or dies of multiple kitty cat bites after being ignored by the neighbors forever in her garbage dump house. It usually turns out they liked collecting this or walking around dressed in that or had some unusual living arrangement. We now associate those things with being a dangerous f#¢!!up.

IIRC, Foof, you live South. So you have some tradition of friendliness towards small-town eccentricity. In the Midwest, where I'm from, there just isn't any such thing. Those people are assumed not to be reliable, or pulling their weight, or good for the rest of us to hang about with. It's not a nasty, torchlight parade kind of thing, it's just deeply ingrained in our assumptions.

I have been concerned for years at the idea that children especially now are being made to walk step in line and not have the freedom to be themselves.
In day cares they line up to go to everything and have to conform to what ever is going on. I think children need freedom to just stare at the clouds for hours if they want to . This is a can of worms but I am so glad I was not on a schedule as a child.
Will there be any eccentrics in the coming generations?
There probably will be more crazy people, but they will be less crazy.

We need to pathologize eccentricity. Otherwise we have to admit that the deep ruts we've worn in the social commonwealth don't make that much sense. And where do we go from there?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
LordBest said:
Eccentricity is eccentricity ...

It can just as easily be said that eccentricity is weirdness.

Eccentrics fare better when they're not socially ostracized. That is, when they can walk, sit, eat, drink, and work with the rest of society without being shut out or insulted. When eccentricity is shunned, it invariably fights back: via self-destruction, the destruction of others, or both.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Eccentrics fare better when they're not socially ostracized. That is, when they can walk, sit, eat, drink, and work with the rest of society without being shut out or insulted.
Most of the eccentrics I've known don't drink much. It may be because they are often basically childlike personalities. Or I may be judging here.

When eccentricity is shunned, it invariably fights back: via self-destruction, the destruction of others, or both.
:eusa_clap

vonwotan

Practically Family
I think perhaps I misunderstand the definition we are each using for eccentric or eccentric behavior. I have always associated it with genius or creativity - behavior that is out of step with societal norms and seen in some highly successful individuals. These creative, intelligent and independent folks are simply not influenced by peer pressure nor do they feel a need to follow the crowd. Confidence in one's own convictions, independent thought - pursuing a business plan, research or artistic bent outside conventional norms - is often thought eccentric and has lead to stellar careers.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I thougth I would throw in this interesting quote. For me, this seems a very timely or timeless quote...

"That so few now dare to be eccentric marks the chief danger of our time".

— John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I remember Marc and I talking about this at the Queen Mary a few years ago!

I think I'm an eccentric, and I don't take it in the negative sense. A few people have asked me, "You wear old clothing now. What would you have worn in the 30s? Victorian clothing?" They probably weren't that far off.
Else Schiaparelli was an eccentric, and her fashion sense was divine. If I was wealthy back then she probably would have been my couturier, when I wasn't wearing ostentatious clothing concoctions of my own.

Foofoogal

Banned

That is an amazing quote and how I feel exactly.

So refusal to conform is a mental illness... How very "Golden Era" of an attitude, in the sense of one of its parts best left in the past.
I don't think this was suggested at all.

I think most people understand the difference between eccentric and dangerous.

Personally the ones I see as eccentric usually come with a very good story that I just have to hear. Mostly when others do not.
---------------
truth to be told I imagine alot if not all of the FLers are a bit on the eccentric side to many including me.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
I think eccentric is a less than complimentary term, because you rarely hear it applied to a person who is accomplished or respected in the public eye, no matter how daffy they may be. It carries a connotation of being deeply asocial, and maybe, that whatever it is you do is not very important.

I think I agree, describing someone as 'eccentric' marginalizes them and is belittling. Even when it is said as a supposed compliment it is patronising and ultimately undermining.

vonwotan said:

This IMO admirable quote doesn't contradict because it stresses the need for a dissenting voice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24