Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ecuador Bound! Hat advice desired.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In small gift shops they sometimes charge a premium over the larger distributors and companies and sometimes they are more than fair. We picked up a 3 colored straw for my wife that ended up at NW Hat Co for a leather sweatband and then gifted to my daughter. I think we paid $22 for it and then $25 for a leather sweat.

i-XKvSLDb-M.jpg

Tukwila

Hello all,

My wife is dragging me to Ecuador in a couple of weeks.

ROTFLMAO!

My wife is from Ecuador, and when I told her you said your wife was dragging you to Ecuador (while I was laughing riotously) she said, very sternly, "tell him that's NOT funny." She is sincerely upset now..... hahaha. My face hurts from laughing. :D

Do, however, read up on US State Dept travel advisories where ever you go just to be aware of local trends for theft, robbery, etc. My biggest tip: Don't go out partying at night.

Chindit

New in Town
ROTFLMAO!

My wife is from Ecuador, and when I told her you said your wife was dragging you to Ecuador (while I was laughing riotously) she said, very sternly, "tell him that's NOT funny." She is sincerely upset now..... hahaha. My face hurts from laughing. :D

Do, however, read up on US State Dept travel advisories where ever you go just to be aware of local trends for theft, robbery, etc. My biggest tip: Don't go out partying at night.

Chindit

New in Town
ROTFLMAO!

ROTFLMAO!

Thanks Tukwila! (no offense to your wife--I actually heard it's nice down there)

Tukwila

Thanks Tukwila! (no offense to your wife--I actually heard it's nice down there)
It can be. But take Imodium/loperamide with you, and get your Dr. to write a prescription for cipro just in case the Imodium doesn't work.

Don't drink tap water, or buy bottled water from someone in the street because it's probably just tap water repackaged from used bottles. I buy water and Gatorade only from local grocery stores; medicines - even over the counter (OTC) stuff - from a well marked Farmacia/pharmacy.

I also don't buy street food much. Restaurants, yes. Street vendors or even those in the markets, no. People without training often don't follow what we consider basic sanitary operations like washing your hands, etc.... and people from the country don't always have things like toilet paper so think about that if someone hands you some food to try.

I was not so careful on my first couple trips to Ecuador and paid the price for it. I trust my in-laws' cooking and most restaurants, but I almost always get traveler's tummy eating and drinking at other places, and once I spent 24 hours in my hotel room sucking on Gatorade and cipro feeling like I was going to die for about 8 of those hours. Just taking a sample of some fabulous tasting pork called chancho in Cuenca gave me problems. A smoothie made with ice from tap water also caused problems, as did some cantaloupe that wasn't washed well before slicing.

Do you know what cities/areas you will be visiting?

It can be. But take Imodium/loperamide with you, and get your Dr. to write a prescription for cipro just in case the Imodium doesn't work.

Don't drink tap water, or buy bottled water from someone in the street because it's probably just tap water repackaged from used bottles. I buy water and Gatorade only from local grocery stores; medicines - even over the counter (OTC) stuff - from a well marked Farmacia/pharmacy.

I also don't buy street food much. Restaurants, yes. Street vendors or even those in the markets, no. People without training often don't follow what we consider basic sanitary operations like washing your hands, etc.... and people from the country don't always have things like toilet paper so think about that if someone hands you some food to try.

I was not so careful on my first couple trips to Ecuador and paid the price for it. I trust my in-laws' cooking and most restaurants, but I almost always get traveler's tummy eating and drinking at other places, and once I spent 24 hours in my hotel room sucking on Gatorade and cipro feeling like I was going to die for about 8 of those hours. Just taking a sample of some fabulous tasting pork called chancho in Cuenca gave me problems. A smoothie made with ice from tap water also caused problems, as did some cantaloupe that wasn't washed well before slicing.

Do you know what cities/areas you will be visiting?

Well, I just crossed Ecuador off my list. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chindit

New in Town
Thanks for that great info Tukwila!
We are travelling to Quito for 2 full days--includes La Rhonda St and Old Town. Also Otavalo Market and Valley. Then to the the Galapogas, starting at San Cristobal. Then after 4 days flying to Guayaquil for a day. It's a tour with the Disney company so I expect it to be family friendly.

I assume dining in the hotel (Marriott) in Quito is no problem.

I personally plan on staying away form anything that isn't hot. (I've also been taking pro-biotics--not sure they work though).

Thanks again!

Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner