Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward G. Robinson Films

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
He's always great: Little Caesar, The Whole Town's Talking, The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse, Double Indemnity, The Stranger, All My Sons, The Cincinnati Kid, Soylent Green, and lots more.

And of course, his unparalleled ham performance as Dathan the Damned in The Ten Commandments: "Nyah! Where's your Moses now?!? I'll give you a god you can see... A god of gold! Nyah!"

Feraud

Bartender
E.G. is very good in The Stranger, Scarlet Street, The Woman in the Window, Larceny, Inc., Little Caesar, Brother Orchid, A Slight Case of Murder, Manpower. It might be safe to say you can pick almost any Robinson film and enjoy it.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_claplol lol Of course!!

Cannot believe I forgot Double Indemnity. Thanks Doc!
We've been told for years there was an alternate ending filmed to "Double Indemnity," one in which Robinson's character, Keyes, who earlier thought of MacMurray's Walter Neff as a kind of surrogate son, watches the latter go to the gas chamber for the murder he and Phyllis (Barbara Stanwyck) committed. I've seen at least one still from it. Is that scene available anywhere -- as an extra on a DVD issue?

I'd also read that Robinson got in touch with James M. Cain, the author of the novel, to ask about Cain writing more stories or a screenplay about Keyes the dogged insurance investigator. I think Cain declined, or maybe just never got around to writing a screenplay with Keyes as the detective. Think how sharp that would have been! ("The little man inside is talking, and I'd better listen. . . .")

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
I've also seen that still from the film but am unsure if there is footage.

Considering studios milked The Thin Man series for however many films, a few more "Cases from the files of Pacific All Risk" would have been great.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Oh, Oh!!!! Can I play?

The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse - Didn't think anyone could outsmart Holmes

Little Caesar - Set the bar for gangster from then on.

I am the Law! - Edward G turns D.A. and crime buster!

The Sea Wolf - Robinson as the ultimate villain a force of nature

The Stranger - Orson Welles Nazi can run but he can't hide!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And of course, "Brother Orchid" -- featuring EGR as a gangster turned monk. Probably the only time that plot has ever been attempted.

Robinson fans will also enjoy "Big Town," his long-running radio show where he played a crusading newspaper editor in a crime-ridden metropolis.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
Eddie G starred in a good late 40s thriller called The Red House. This isn't the typical big city setting or gangster role. It takes place in the country and Robinson plays a family man trying to keep the past buried.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, yes, yes to all of the above. But to really understand who Edward G. Robinson was, you have to see "Little Caesar". The film had an impact far beyond the actual merits of the film.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Five Star Final -- EGR as the editor of a MacFaddenesque scandal tabloid who becomes disillusioned by the excesses of trash journalism. A searing pre-code film with an outstanding Robinson performance.

Definitely in my top 5 favourite Edward G. Films - with all of the modern films with all of their f-bombs or what have you every 5 seconds, the ending is an example of the dramatic power of a well-placed expletive! (With an appearance by George E. Stone, wonderful and strangely forgotten character actor.)

I also love Scarlet Street (even though by all accounts he absolutely hated it), where he gets to play his "soft side", and I have a real soft spot for Dark Hazard (Edward G. Robinson plus greyhounds - who could ask for anything more?!)

I'm amazed they haven't released a box set for this gentleman, or re-released more of his Pre-Codes...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
We've been told for years there was an alternate ending filmed to "Double Indemnity," one in which Robinson's character, Keyes, who earlier thought of MacMurray's Walter Neff as a kind of surrogate son, watches the latter go to the gas chamber for the murder he and Phyllis (Barbara Stanwyck) committed. I've seen at least one still from it. Is that scene available anywhere -- as an extra on a DVD issue?

I'd also read that Robinson got in touch with James M. Cain, the author of the novel, to ask about Cain writing more stories or a screenplay about Keyes the dogged insurance investigator. I think Cain declined, or maybe just never got around to writing a screenplay with Keyes as the detective. Think how sharp that would have been! ("The little man inside is talking, and I'd better listen. . . .")

As far as I know, there is no version available with the original ending. Regarding more stories about Keyes, that would have been very interesting. Besides Double Indemnity, I really like Robinson's performances in The Stranger, Scarlet Street, Soylent Green, and Little Caesar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21