Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edwardian centered websites

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Hello, I am in need of some help. My little brother is doing an essay on life 100 years ago. I have been looking for a forum or something where he can ask questions about life back then, a place that is even half as knowledgeable as this site. I've asked around on a couple other sites, but no luck with sites. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the by, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section, I just was uncertain as to where to place it.
Thank you all & God bless,
Sarah

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think the thing is, there aren't all that many people that dress Edwardian every day or are interested in all the elements of Edwardian style, and therefore there won't be a forum dedicated. I suspect he'd be better off in the library. Is it only the period of British history he's interested, or the equivalent time in America? Because if it's the former, the BBC has just shown a 6 part series called 'Casualty 1909', which, although it's set in a hospital, it is recreated from real records and shows a fair bit about London at that time. And it was really good! There was also Casualty 1906 (one episode pilot) and 1907, which was 3 parts a couple of years ago.

AvaTrimble

New in Town
For Mid-Nineteenth Century (1840-1865), there's TheSewingAcademy.org, which is primarily for reenactors, living historians, museum staff, etc. Many of the people there are involved in multiple periods and might be able to recommend other forums or resources. For costuming and fashion for later in time, especially the late Nineteenth Century, there's the forums for the pattern company TrulyVictorian.com, but unless your brother is researching clothing, that probably won't help!

Like Fleur, I suggest trying the library. Explain to the librarian what you're looking for. There are some great "everyday life" type books out there, though I can't recommend any specifically, as Edwardian is just not my time period. How little is your little brother? You'd need very different resources for a 10-year-old versus a 16-year-old, say! Good luck!

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
He should rent this brief series the BBC did, called 1900s house. It will give him a good idea.
However, maybe he should focus on one geographic region in the Edwardian period. Life in England was very different from that in the Wild Wild West of America at the time!
If he has questions about clothing I might be able to help him out/suggest books as it is my favorite time period of clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic