Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Elementary my dear Watson!"

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
One of my favorite things to do ( I guess I'm just easy to please ) is to listen to old radio programs in my car as a wander about with no particular destination in mind. I have several thousand old radio programs on MP3 CD's.
Lately I've been listening to the old radio shows of Sherlock Holmes mysteries.
Many of the later ones featured Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, but the earlier ones were with two other men whose name I can't recall at the moment. In my opinion BR and NB are the definitive Holmes and Watson, however, the other fellows who did the earlier shows were quite good, especially the one who played Holmes. He had the same inflections and manner as BR.
Here in the L.A. area it's been cloudy and overcast for the past week, not unlike London's weather, and it lent a certain feeling of being in Jolly Old England as I drove about the green countryside whilst Holmes urged Watson on with the inevitable, "Quickly Watson, the game is afoot!"
I must remember to wear my Bowler the next time I'm out on a drive.
Frankie L.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Hey Frankie Lamb. I use to love listening to otr while I drove also, but I don't have a lot of them on my ipod and I got tired of listening to the same ones.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I am a *BIG* fan of OTR. It's a wonderful form of entertainment. And I am an avid Holmesian. I have about...lord...probably 100 (or about there) OTR Holmes episodes, from the 1930s to the 1950s, in my collection, on my computer.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I have a few episodes of "Hercule Poirot" in New York from the 1940's and also Agatha Christie's ABC Murders staring Charles Laughton, they are still quite engaging 70 years on, However, knowing M.Poirots love of Art Deco I cant really believe he would ask for a Louis X111 style Apartment at a posh Manhattan hotel!

lindylady

A-List Customer
This sounds good! I am an avid reader of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, and I didn't even know that you could find otr programs of Sherlock online :eusa_doh: . Can anyone provide a link?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan.

I have the entire Rathbone & Bruce radio series and the entire Conway & Bruce series (as well as several other OTR shows, Holmes related and not.)

Happy to help with acquiring OTR episodes. Just PM me.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I loved all the old mystery otr, my favorites are "yours truly, johny dollar" and "philo Vance"

Sadly though my old computer went Kaput and I haven't reloaded just because I haven't gotten around to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo