Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elm Road Twin Drive-in Theatre

BigFitz

Practically Family
Here's a few photos of a drive-in theatre that we would go to a lot when I was a kid. Some are old photos, others more recent.

Grand opening advertsing 1950.
grand-opening-ad-1950.jpg

elm-road-drive-in-2nd-marquee-1958-1.jpg

original-concession-stand-1958.jpg

Shot from across the street with what appears to be a '57 Mercury in the foreground.
elm-road-drive-in-1957.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a shot of a '58 Pontiac near screen number 1.
grade-aside-the-screen-tower-1960.jpg

The owners 1961.
owners-bob-and-grade-1961.jpg

Current playground. Some newer equipment, but the merry-go-round, swings, and seesaws are still there from when I was a kid.
playground.jpg

Although this photo is not exactly current, the marquee is still the same today.
2003-marquee-close-up-1.jpg

I'm happy to report that the drive-in is still in business and does quite well.

Last edited:

BigFitz

Practically Family
There were 5 within a 3 mile radius of me until the '80's, then slowly they all were closed except for the one I posted about. One was bulldozed for a shopping center.:(

Last edited:

Sam Diamond

Familiar Face
One of ours was bulldozed for a Walmart:eeek:

When my son was little we took a trip to Reno and they still had a drive-in. I took him to see a movie because I didn't think he would ever have a chance to see one again. It was one of those drive-ins that had multiple screens, and an adjacent screen was showing an R rated movie, and he thought it was really cool to briefly see a semi-naked woman.

To me, the Drive-In theater is one of the greatest losses in our country (as far as inanimate things go)
I have wonderful memories as a kid/teenager. That and the Diner are two of my favorite things that are slowly (or not) disappearing.
Thanks for posting the pics. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic