Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC Horse Hide G-1

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Perfect! Another one for my never ending list of must-haves lol

Agree, G-1 (or M422a or ANJ-3 and all the predecessors) easily looks better than A-2 because of the action back and the half belt look. I think the mythical aura of the A-2 comes from the horse and it was probably more abundantly available. The mouton collar also doesn't work for everyone.

By the way I think one of the reasons why the horsehide G-1 looks trimmer is because the hide is thicker and stiffer. I am pretty sure ELC cut their leathers with the same dies, both the goat and horse.

Deacon211

One Too Many
That's a beautiful jacket Gav!

I think the mouton collar isn't as universally appealing to everyone as the leather, especially these days.

But I think the theater had a lot to do with the love of the A-2. The Pacific theater was warm. And while you do see pics of crews wearing their G-1 for flying or out on the carrier deck, I just don't think it was the second skin that the A-2 was. I also think that is why G-1s are generally less adorned (personal opinion).

With the weather in Europe, I think pilots wore their A-2s all the time. Additionally, because of the large number of bomber crews, there was something more of that "team uniform" thing going on. As a result, the public saw hundreds of pics of AF crews in their beautiful painted jackets and the A-2 became a legend.

I think by far the greater draw in the G-1s popularity came from the Viet Nam era where Navy jackets became encrusted with cruise patches. These were the face of the salty carrier pilot and sprinkled a bit of nostalgia onto the G-1 when the AF went all nylon and paradoxically became more and more standardized in their flight gear.

Just my two cents as I've wondered about it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gav

Practically Family
Thanks for all the positive feedback! I have been wearing my G-1 every day, enjoying it very much.
I went back to the pop up today. Stock is running low on Buzz shirts and other stuff. Now I want an ANJ-4... maybe next year.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Agree with all... Fantastic jacket! I was at the Pop Up recently and tried on everything. The M422a stands out. What a comfortable, easy wearing, practically beautiful jacket. I am now conspiring how and how soon I can place my order. Love the A-2s, first love... but the M422s (and the G-1s) are just more... luscious... (besides the AVG reference - wait till the Flying Tigers movie/ TV series eventually comes out, forum will be in a frenzy).

Reactions: Gav
Looks like you were born in it man. Or at least born to wear it. Not a style I usually go in for but yours has me thinking. That's literally a perfect fit and you wear it to the nuts.

Gav

Practically Family
crappy elevator shot of my jacket today - couple of months down the line of ownership.
It is breaking in nicely, way more comfortable to wear than an A2 of course. The hide is starting to mould and show some character.
32615419225_841488565c_c.jpg

See, this is exactly what I'm always hoping an A2 would look on me and it never does and I look like a dork wearing one. But I noticed these ELMC ones are always 10/10. It's really perfect, Gav.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gav, that G-1 is simply stunning!
One of these popped up on eBay a couple weeks back and I used every ounce of self restraint I could muster not to get caught up in the bidding frenzy. Now that I see how yours is breaking in and evolving I realize that I made a mistake...

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking great Gav!!! That G-1 is breaking in really well :) Tempted to get one myself now as next year's jacket..would need to go for the goat hide version as they do that in a 48. Can't get one just yet..I've got an ELC Hartmann in the post.

Gav

Practically Family
Thanks guys, I love this G-1. I have worn it most days, except when it was too cold, since I bought it at the pop up last November.

Technonut

Practically Family
If I only had $2k and two years...seeing as how many friends and other's I've lost this year, I don't any longer feel like a two-year wait is a good investment...

I take the same train of thought at times.. Hell, I'll be 54 in around a week, and have seen folks I've known of similar age 'pass-on' to parts unknown. :( I convince myself that I'm being prudent by purchasing previously-owned GW's, and although I now own a sweet RW contract in Shinki HH which fits exactly as I would have wished if ordered new, I find it bittersweet.

I kind of look at it as being happy for someone else's dream, other than my own. I think I need to make an initial A-2 contract choice, commit with a deposit, look over the GW site for those 2 years leading to my call from JC to lock my choice in... Then the culmination of having my dream jacket completed, and the excitement of stalking the package's progress to my door. None of us will live forever... In fact just as my signature line states: "Dream as if you will live forever...Live as if you will die today".....James Byron Dean

I've had my share of custom-made jackets over the years, with some disappointments scattered throughout. Before I get to the point that I would look like a grizzled senior citizen wearing an A-2, I think that I would like to 'take it to the limit' one more time (cue Eagles... ;) ) with one of JC's masterpieces, which I can truly call my own. From deposit, to just getting the damn thing broken-in and looking good while I still do... :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21