Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Embarrassing Moments in Dance

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My hand somehow ended up in someone's shirt pocket on two separate occasions. I still cannot account for how it happened.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I used to post messages to a site that was run by my dance teacher, and at one point I posted messages about avoiding stepping on people's feet. So of course, within a few days, I stepped on my teacher's foot--and we weren't even dancing together, we were dancing with other people. :eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As I always say, you can't go wrong (hopefully) if you focus on the basic step, and keep your shoulders over your feet. And dance for the simple physical enjoyment of it, not to show how great you are. But it's true, stuff does happen out there on the dance floor.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I agree that having a good basic and a few good moves, and doing them really well, and moving to the music, is better than having a dozen badly executed moves. It just takes experience to avoid running into people and stepping on their feet.

A few weeks ago, I was dancing with a good partner, but he couldn't stop stepping on my feet. But he was good enough that he never stepped on them any harder than if he'd put his hand on them. I told him that was OK; I only walk on the bottoms of my feet.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Who here would tell a friend that she needs to wear something more substantial under her skirt because the skirt is flying up higher than she realizes? A good friend said that to...ummm...another good friend of ours. :eek:

Embarrassing? Sure, but our friend was glad somebody said something.

carter

I'll Lock Up
WOW! This thread brings back some memories. The first paying job I had was as a dancer in an outdoor drama called 'The Common Glory' in Williamsburg, VA. All 18th century ballroom and country dancing. I was in the chorus of "MyFair Lady" at William & Mary and we did a lift called a Bluebird. I must have dropped Winn a few times before we got that one down. My ex and I took 2nd in a Jitterbug contest on a Caribbean Cruise a few years back. I was probably most embarassed about placing in the contest.
How many folks have seen the movie 'They Shoot Horses Don't They'. Not so much about dancing as a marathon of desperation and despair during the Depression.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
My hand somehow ended up in someone's shirt pocket on two separate occasions. I still cannot account for how it happened.

And somehow both times their wallet was gone?

Edward

Bartender
Tony in Tarzana said:
Hey, I wish I could dance like Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein! :D

Puuuuin' oonnnnnn theee REEEEEEzzz!

boyle.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGN2aa3oQRM

lol lol lol lol lol

Phil

A-List Customer
Ok, so, as many of you may or may not know, I play trumpet. So, I'm more accoustomed to making the music for dances. swing daning. I love it, I love to do it, but I can't do it very well. I'll stay in the band thank you.

As for more modern dancing, well, it's not very hard to do. Find a small motion to do, sync with the beat of the music, repeat endlessley and alter as needed.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
PA Dancer said:
I've knocked my own glasses off my own face before. lol

You don't have to be dancing to do that...I have managed it.

Then again...I did once have a cat get angry with me and 'slap'(it was no claws out, so the cat version of a slap) me in the face....he weighed 20-something pounds, so my glasses flew across the room...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I had a close call last night. I was at a club with a small, crowded dance floor. My partner led a free turn and when I came back around, I saw two leads with their hand out. (One of them was Nick from Las Vegas, who's the emcee for a lot of swing events.) For a second, I didn't know which one to grab.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Ok, so, as many of you may or may not know, I play trumpet. So, I'm more accoustomed to making the music for dances. swing daning. I love it, I love to do it, but I can't do it very well. I'll stay in the band thank you.

You know, it is rather amusing how so many musicians cannot dance. I myself played instruments for over 20 years but find it hard to move my body to a groove without looking stiff, same goes for the majority of fellow musicians I have met. (unless we had some liquid encouragement :D)

HepKitty

One Too Many
Not quite dancing, but one time during form practice at Tae Kwon Do class I kicked a little too high and landed right on my tush lol

And to those who said "stop taking yourself so seriously," amen. Everyone feels klutzy (and looks) when they begin, just get it over with so you can start enjoying the dance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW