Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

end of the month food

Foofoogal

Banned
That runny small-curd stuff was the bunk.

I love the small curd and hate the larger ones. talking about cottage cheese from a few pages back. lol

the best recipes are sometimes what ever is left over and thrown together.

I love spanish eggs which are eggs basically baked in tomato sauce and/or scrambled eggs with picante sauce in them.

or throw some frozen spinach in with your scrambled eggs.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Also a food with southern Italian origins. Potato 'Gatto' its called, and usually has a little cured meat to add flavor, plus garlic and breadcrumbs. One of my favorite dishes.

I'll tell my mum, she'll be surprised.

Fried egg sandwiches on toast, doused with steak sauce. Now that's good eatin'.

Mayonnaise sandwich. Tomato ketchup sandwich. Mustard sandwich. Just a few of my favourite end-of-funds specials.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My mom spent the school year 1956-57 teaching in Florida, with she and her grandma sharing a travel trailer. I don't know whether teachers were paid by the month or not, but their idea of a big feed was: chicken wings. They were dirt cheap, so it was chicken wings, fried up Sunday style - none of this Buffalo-ing yet. They would split a pound between them, go for some Key lime pie, and think that was livin'.

goldendawn7

New in Town
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]And sounds like it could be one of mine.....care to elaborate? Grazie in anticipo![/QUOTE]

Mash potatoes, and layer with sauteed onions and garlic, cheese, salami, and peas, and keep layering it until you run out of potato or other stuff. Top with breadcrumbs and heat in the oven.
Heres the recipe I use;
http://books.google.com/books?id=Z5...resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false
I add goat cheese if its in my budget. Otherwise, whatever is on hand works.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family

HatRak

Familiar Face
As a kid growing up on the beach in Florida back in the 50's and 60's, cheap eats were whatever we could fish from the river or sea. There were nights my mom would literally stop off on the way home from work, fish off the bridge between us and the mainland, and whatever she caught was dinner. We never had a shortage of shrimp. Drop a lantern off a bridge at night and dip them up with a net. Ten pounds in an hour was typical. The big ones we ate, the small ones were used as bait. Crabs we would chase down at night in a boat with dip nets. We could fill a garbage can in a couple of hours. Steamed crab for a late dinner, the rest would be picked and frozen then stuffed in shrimp and broiled. Oysters were free for the picking off the bars around the small islands dotting the river. My dog, a standard poodle, would swim out with us and dive down to pull up oysters in his teeth--I kid you not!

My mom was from the Carolinas, as am I, and southern cheap eats are still food for the soul. Navy beans cooked with ham hock and served with cornbread--heaven! Field peas and snaps flavored with a little bacon--oh my! Rice was served at every meal--even breakfast--and my wife and I still buy it in twenty pound bags. How about greens? Collards, turnips, mustard? And nothing was ever wasted. We'd eat the watermelon and mom would make pickles from the rind. There are parts of a pig that . . .well, let's just leave it at that.

The Lord has blessed me enough that I can pretty much eat whatever I want, whenever I want, from wherever I want. I still want things I used to eat in college like tuna mac 'n cheese, spam sandwiches, black beans and rice. Truth is, you don't often stray far from your roots.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
HatRak said:
My mom was from the Carolinas, as am I, and southern cheap eats are still food for the soul....The Lord has blessed me enough that I can pretty much eat whatever I want, whenever I want, from wherever I want....Truth is, you don't often stray far from your roots.

Good to have you with us, HR! And glad to hear that you're true to your roots, and that the good Lord has been kind. That latter might come in handy with what I'm about to mention :( because, unfortunately, what was once "cheap eats" is now....not. But if you're serious about your Carolina Rice Kitchen Cookery...on the chance that I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...if you don't know these people:

http://www.ansonmills.com/products-page.htm

You should! Nice folks, doing something amazing, which is great enough even if you're not from Ca'lina....:)

Your new Yankee friend,
"Skeet"

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
HatRak said:
Navy beans cooked with ham hock and served with cornbread--heaven!QUOTE]

Somewhere else Skeet and myself reminisced about the earthly pleasures of beans and cornbread. Done at home, and cooked with love, customized with bacon, ham, or what-have-you, it is unsurpassed.

Welcome aboard, HR, you seem a kindred soul from the get go...

HatRak

Familiar Face
http://www.ansonmills.com/products-page.htm[/URL]

You should! Nice folks, doing something amazing, which is great enough even if you're not from Ca'lina....:)

Your new Yankee friend,
"Skeet"

Thanks for the warm welcome, Skeet! I did not know about Anson Mills but I have just added it to my "favorites" folder. We are blessed here in the valley with some old, independent mills that still grind grains in the time-honored way. Its sort of boutique grits (now there's an oxymoron) at boutique prices but they're awfully good. I'll have to try some of Anson's products.

It seems we might share some other interests. While I'm hardly a regular at it, I have spent my fair share of time busting clays . . .. Hmmmm, are you sure you're a Yankee?

:D

HatRak

Familiar Face
Wally_Hood said:
HatRak said:
Navy beans cooked with ham hock and served with cornbread--heaven!QUOTE]

Somewhere else Skeet and myself reminisced about the earthly pleasures of beans and cornbread. Done at home, and cooked with love, customized with bacon, ham, or what-have-you, it is unsurpassed.

Welcome aboard, HR, you seem a kindred soul from the get go...

Absolutely, beans and cornbread feed the body and feed the soul. Can't do both at Mickey D's.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
HatRak said:
It seems we might share some other interests. While I'm hardly a regular at it, I have spent my fair share of time busting clays . . .. Hmmmm, are you sure you're a Yankee?

:D

Well, there IS some border-state blood there: my mother and all her people before her were Kentucky Catholics, from Lou'ville. And, to keep this vaguely on-topic, her cookery (i.e., what I grew up with) was her mother's KY cookery. The lipid of choice...wait, make that "the only lipid" was bacon grease, kept in mass quantities; her fried chicken was memorable; and a few times a year she'd make beaten biscuits.

And, yes: as you guessed, I'm a hunter and a shooter. The way I ended up in the FL period was....beginning to shoot Skeet. As just about everything I do has some historical/reenactment component....I started to dress/shoot 1930s Skeet...and, well, here we are.

Good to have you with us,
"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo