Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Era-appropriate pants?

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Ok, the temperature around here reminded me- I don't own a lot of summer weight pants!
So, I started searching a few resources for info. Which fabrics/materials/weaves are appropriate to the late 30's through late 40's? IT appears to me that mostly cotton, wool, and linen were the big 3. For weaves, gabardines, twills, (what weave is it for tropical wool?), plus a few others.
Any help?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Linen is great, but wrinkles easily. I would go for a lighter-weight wool gabardine, better yet, RAYON!!!!!

DerMann

Practically Family
I would love to see a rayon suit.

Light weight cottons, seersucker, tropical weight wool (I'm still not sure if that's a real thing or just a euphemism for low quality/thin).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I got two pairs (buy one get one free!) from Joseph A Banks just this time last year, of linen trousers. One is dark olive and the other is light natural. They do wrinkle, but they're great. I had suspender buttons added, and I wore them all summer long last year. Highly recommended. If Jos A Banks has the same sale, I'd recommend going for it.

Teacher

Familiar Face
You're right in saying cotton, linen, and wool would have been the most popular. Cotton and linen would have been much cooler, though, as their idea of "light" wool back then would have been heavier than pretty much any wool suiting being used today. Rayon would be stiflingly hot, as would silk, so I'd stay away from them.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Teacher said:
Rayon would be stiflingly hot, as would silk, so I'd stay away from them.

I disagree, I have some nice summer weight rayon slacks from the 1950's that keep me pretty cool.

Snookie

Practically Family
A cotton/linen blend would be nice and cool, and not wrinkle quite as badly. A blend with some *gasp* polyester would help the wrinkle problem tremendously.

My husband wore a pair of gab slacks to the Griffith Park Picnic, and was commenting on how lightweight and cool they are (compared to modern jeans). I'm not sure if they are wool or rayon (i'm leaning toward rayon?), but I think either would work equally well. Anyone with a wool sensitivity may need to have them lined, which would make them warmer.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Pants for the summer?

Thank you everyone for the ideas and details!
I have to say, I think I might "cheat" a little- there is an online fabric store that has "Linen-look rayon" fabric. It's 100% rayon but it is woven to look like linen! Kinda nice.
I searched the fashion district this weekend- there is definitely tons of stuff to be found, but you don't always know what you're buying. On the flip side, buying online, you don't get to feel it! It's a gamble.
For those who mentioned cotton, I _did_ check out some cotton gabardine; I can see why it was used for pants; it is thin, and it hangs rather well too. I wonder, do cotton pants wrinkle easily?

Jp

Linen, obviously, was quite popular. As was Palm Beach fabric, mixture of linen, rayon and mohair (i forget the exact proportions). Lightweight tropical wool was around too. I have an early 30s suit in about 8 Oz loose-weave wool. Very nice for the summer days. I prefer lightweight wool to linen.

Light colours, i think, goes without saying.

bk

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
dakotanorth said:
I searched the fashion district this weekend- there is definitely tons of stuff to be found, but you don't always know what you're buying.

Ok, one of the bigger fabric stores (just past Micheal Levine's) has TONS of linen fabrics, I'll try and get the exact name of the store for you.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
Linen wrinkles, but Seersucker never needs ironing.

I believe the last Monday in May begins Seersucker season in the Northeast.

I'm not a fan of the Seersucker, although I've seen cool ones with hollywood waists. A great warm weather option, but just not for me.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Follow-up: Linens!

Ok, by strange chance I was in the local craft/quilting fabric store that carries a WEE bit of clothing material. Turns out they had a few rayon/linen blends and I bought one.
It is actually black- I know summer stuff is typically light colors, but black has always been a staple too. So it's one of those "Well, I guess technically it COULD be era-correct...."
Incidentally I liked this one over the others because the black was NOT green based, fairly soft, and it did not have a "shine" too it. It's a very tasteful, subtle black linen.
I am putting my shirts "On Hold" until I learn how to do them right, so odds are, the black pants will start rolling soon! I still haven't learned how to grade my 1935 pants pattern so Might just use my 1949 one. The differences aren't as extreme as one might think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff