Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Espresso and French Press?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I forgot to buy coffee filters at the market on Monday, so I'm wondering if I can put the espresso through my French press. The espresso is very very fine, so I'm not sure that the mesh on the press is going to be enough to strain the grounds away.

Suggestions? I've put it off all day, but I'm actually getting a crippling headache from the lack of caffeine (I know, it's an addiction...).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

It's pretty dicey. I've tried it and ended up with goop. You could take a paper filter, cut it to size, and put it into the mesh thingamajig, but then plunging it down would be bloody difficult, and would probably result in a coffee explosion or a sprained wrist ... or both.

So ... go to Peet's. ;)

P.S. What a cool avatar that is.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
It will work.

But if you have espresso, don't you have an espresso maker?

Erm, well...the espresso was a bit of an error in itself. I wasn't wearing my specs at the market and the espresso and coffee by this company are in very similar containers. I didn't read it until I got home. Sadly, I don't have an espresso machine. I don't know that I'd get much use out of it, though, and it would take up a hideous amount of counter space...

You were right, Jake! It worked like a charm...no grounds or anything. I'm amazed.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

It's pretty dicey. I've tried it and ended up with goop. You could take a paper filter, cut it to size, and put it into the mesh thingamajig, but then plunging it down would be bloody difficult, and would probably result in a coffee explosion or a sprained wrist ... or both.

So ... go to Peet's. ;)

The kitchen saints were smiling on me today -- no coffee explosion, no sprains, no goop.

Thanks! Lauren snapped it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thats all I do is put my expresso coffee through my French Press every morning. :coffee:

It makes a yummy body coffee. If its a fine ground, then youll get quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of your cup. I ground my expresso at 'drip'. Cuts down the sediment to almost nill.

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

So ... go to Peet's. ;)

Hehe, Marc....you did not read the first bit of her whole thing that said 'I forgot to buy paper filters....'

hehehe otherwise, its all good advice ;)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
How did it taste? Real strong I bet?:D

The finer the ground and the darker the roast the stronger the coffee. Most ground espresso's are just finely ground dark roast coffee's like Italian Roast.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
As Lady Day says, I did end up with a bit of sediment at the bottom of the cup, but it wasn't anything catastrophic. I didn't even burn myself on anything this time, Neece!

The stuff tasted really good. The powder is super fine and pretty dark. Not bad for a complete accident...

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Well, it just takes a little imagination and faith in your abilities and you've found yourself a new way to make a good cup of coffee.:) Some of the greatest things happen by accident.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Places where i've worked a few times would run outta filters so as i was usually the 1st one there to start the coffee I'd use a paper towel for the 1st brew till someone got there and could get filters. When you need coffee you need coffee!:coffee:

RedPop4

One Too Many
Many espresso blends....they're not espresso. Espresso is a method of making coffee.....have second rate robusta beans in them. Often, they're the beans that give the coffee that crema which so many associate with a finely turned out cup of espresso.

I'm pleased to hear that you all have had good experience running finely ground coffee through your press. I grind as coarse as possible for use in the press. When in doubt, you could go Turkish style too. I have an ibrik however, I don't see why one couldn't do Turkish in a regular pot, on the stove.

Simply put the amount of ground coffee, fine grind, that you normally take; then put double the amount of water as grinds. Boil it until it nearly boils over, cut the heat to low, then repeat again twice more. Pour slowly into your cup. You can mix the sugar in there too.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
RedPop4 said:
I have an ibrik however, I don't see why one couldn't do Turkish in a regular pot, on the stove.

Simply put the amount of ground coffee, fine grind, that you normally take; then put double the amount of water as grinds. Boil it until it nearly boils over, cut the heat to low, then repeat again twice more. Pour slowly into your cup. You can mix the sugar in there too.

Our Bedouin friends in Jordan would use a regular pot -- our facilities were very limited at camp and it was the most expedient way. Of course, the professor was given that coffee. The rest of us were forced to make do with instant. Needless to say, I switched to tea.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I am, doubtless, the same way.

I will also sacrifice a bit of caffeine for a jolt of flavor from a dark roast coffee. Despite the lack of flavor from medium to light roasts, and then weak brewing methods, lighter roasts retain more of their caffeine. You can roast out a small percentage of caffeine going to a darker roast and beyond that to Starbucks.

The stronger flavor, though, makes up for the loss of caffeine. I like it this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland