Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire--April 1938

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just in time for spring, some wonderful pictures scanned by Anthony Jordan. Posted here with his permission.

pigskin.jpg

hatsforspring.jpg

Easterdress.jpg

Artfulnewblend.jpg

Work.jpg

Springtweeds.jpg

Tweeds2.jpg

Leisurewear.jpg

Golfingattire.jpg

Apriltroutfishing.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Member on a couple of other boards who bought the mag, scanned the pics and posted them. I knew he wouldn't mind, but I wanted to ask before I brought them over here, and I also wanted to give credit where credit was due. He's a Brit with an interest in classic vintage as well.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great reference photos...

And also dismisses a myth floating around here that all 30's and 40's fedoras had big brims. Not the case and shows there's a time, place and face for different sized brims on your hat.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
But you really should wear a moustache. Unless you're in college.

They were really pushing the 4x1 DB in Esquire, weren't they? And yet it doesn't seem to have reached the well dressed public. Even in the movies it was rare.

Question: Pretend it's 1938 and you have a formal daytime do. Are the bowler and the homburg pretty much interchangeable?

Question the second: What's crash tweed? Is the gent in this picture wearing it?
sf_poll.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24