Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esterbrook the workhorse Fountain Pen

esterbrooks.png

Here are most of my Esterbrooks including some neat desk sets. The one with holes in the clip is 30's style, on the right in the case. Most are 40's thru 50's.

The Esterbrook fountain pen came with a re-new point that screws out so you could (can) change the nib for another writing style.

Estnibchart-1.jpg

Here is the nib chart. You may love other pens but an Esterbrook is a fine writing instrument, near bullet proof and worthy of praise if only begrudgingly given.
:eusa_clap

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
You need to stop teasing me like this, John!lol I think I have more Esterbrooks in my small collection than any other pen. In fact, I often carry two pens, a high end vintage pen and an Esterbrook. Sometimes I find myself writing with the Estie more than the others. They really are great workhorse pens and pretty cheap to come by. Easy to maintain and use, too.;)

Ubiquitious the Esterbrook!

If you find one"in the wild" don't pay too much unless you feel you are rescuing it. The going rate is about $25 for the regular ones, restored and $35 for the older (holes in clip) type. However, it is worth more if it is a color you don't have or has some little something you really need. (Recently on Ebay there was an Esterbrook with end jewels shaped differently than the norm.)

I have friends that have found these where they did not need to replace the rubber sack (ink resorvoir) in a 50 plus year old pen. Usually I need the sack replaced and occasionally the nib. Fred has a fair number of new nibs in their little boxes but mostly the regualr ones for writing. For the special ones such as stubs and Italics, check on Ebay, they do turn up.

Fred (Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia) did put together an Esterbrook desk pen from parts that I used as a gift. A brand new 50 plus year old pen!

Folks, these do write well, as indicated by industry, schools and government that ordered these for use in offices, courts and departments across the nation.

Save the Esties!
Refurbish and write with your Esterbrook, Today!
And keep America strong!
(Patriotic music here!):p

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
John in Covina, when I changed out my Esterbrook nib a couple of times, I found the seal around the base of the nib at the top of the pen was not 100% sealed. Not a flood, but definitely a problem. I was afraid of cranking the nib down to hard on the pen (stripping threads, warping the nib, etc.). Any tips for keeping that seal tight after changing nibs?

adamgottschalk said:
John in Covina, when I changed out my Esterbrook nib a couple of times, I found the seal around the base of the nib at the top of the pen was not 100% sealed. Not a flood, but definitely a problem. I was afraid of cranking the nib down to hard on the pen (stripping threads, warping the nib, etc.). Any tips for keeping that seal tight after changing nibs?
You can give it a pretty good torquing down by hand without damaging the nib or pen, but Ms. Neecerie is right about the silicone grease as a sealer. Fred uses that a lot on some of the filling systems. i don't know the brand or exact material name.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
You can give it a pretty good torquing down by hand without damaging the nib or pen, but Ms. Necerie is right about the silicone grease as a sealer. Fred uses that a lot on some of the filling systems. i don't know the brand or exact material name.

I dont know the exact name either....but here is what wiser folks then me have described it as

You can buy the grease at hardware stores (it has to be the 100% pure silicone grease---free of petroleum derivatives) or dive (as in skin diving, scuba diving) shops, or online from Tryphon or Pendemonium.

Pendemonium is an online shop....but assuming you are careful...you could probably find it elsewhere

panamag8or

Practically Family
When my Grandfather passed, I knew nothing about fountain pens. I found a case with that nib chart on it, full of boxed Estie nibs. I sold them to somebody for less than half of what they were worth. I'm still kicking myself.

I have a few Estie J's and about 50 estie desk pens, in original boxes, with papers.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
A question

I have an opportunity to get a lever-fill Esterbrook from an antique store for $10. It seems to be in good shape, except that there is no sac.

The question is: where would I get a new sac, and how do I replace it?

Thanks for any help,
-Jake

You might try Pendemonium on line. However, the solution may be to find a local pen shop that does repairs or see if there is a local pen club. Usually a club will have a member or members that does repairs and is willing to show you how to do it.

Also you can look for "Da Book" by (I believe) Frank Dubeil which has all sorts of repair info in it.

If you do a search on line it may turn up sources and repair people local to you and should you go to the pen shop pick up a copy of Pen World and / or Stylus, they will have ads for sales and services for vintage pens and repairs.

Ossified!

They use some sort of Shellac as the glue for the sack, and you have to be sure to remove all of te residue or stuck pieces of old ossified (petrified) sack from the section and or feed plus from the inside of the barrel of the pen.

panamag8or

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Fred (Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia) did put together an Esterbrook desk pen from parts that I used as a gift. A brand new 50 plus year old pen!

That is like my 1 year-old vintage Sheaffer Sentinel Deluxe. Made fresh from vintage parts.

I'll let you know when I put some desk pens up. I have 3 or 4 different styles.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Riposte3 said:
I have an opportunity to get a lever-fill Esterbrook from an antique store for $10.

Well, I went ahead and got it. It only cost me $10.50 after tax. (Marked $20, I got half off because they were going to take it to auction next week.)

It's got a 2556 nib, and the remains of old sac and shellac were already cleaned out. It just needs a new sac and pressure bar and it should be good to go.

I think I got a bargain, especially if I can fix it myself, but I don't have enough experience at antique pens to really know. [huh] Opinions?

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR