Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get started in Fountain Pens

DeaconKC

One Too Many
There have been many questions listed here about getting started with fountain pens, so I thought I would post some things i have learned using them for many years. I hope this will be useful and maybe save you from some expensive mistakes I have made. I carry my FPs every day at work and they see a lot of work and actual abuse at times {I make my living as a Parole Agent}. Today's FPs are as well made as any in history, so as much as i do love my vintage Balances and Esterbrooks, I am going to tell you to stay away from buying these lovely old pens [for right now, anyway]. As you are thinking about getting into this graceful hobby, let's keep ourselves on a budget. I started looking at my everyday pens and realized I have less than $40 in any of them. This is not an outlandish amount for a nice pen of any type, so let's see what this will let you try out.
107.jpg

Starting at the low end of our budget are the Chinese pens [the big brown one] and they come in all shapes and sizes and are often excellent writers. You can often get them for under $10 shipped on online auction sites.

Next, are "bargain pens" often discontinued, logoed or engraved pens from excellent makers, these are often gifts that no one wanted, give-aways, etc. I love them! The entire left page are examples of this. The top 4 are made by Waterman for Harley Davidson and are superb pens, that just didn't sell well to bikers, but they are great for us. The bottom group are made by Cross.

At the top of the right page is a Pelikan 150, a pen from one of the premier makers in the world and can still be found for a bargain. The next three are older Parkers, a 21 and a pair of 45s, all superb writers and made recently enough to be considered for daily use without restoration. Then a trio of late model Sheaffers.

How big do you want? I have large paws, so most small pens are not comfortable for me for extended writing. Conversely, if you have small, elegant hands as my wife does, a large heavy pen will not serve you well.
109.jpg

There are many styles of nibs, for right now the looks of the nib will be less important than the size of line. Start with a nib no larger than Medium. Save the Broad and Calligraphy nibs for special invitations, etc. A good nib will start smoothly, and you will discover how much "tooth" you like your pens to have as you go along.
108.jpg

Now on to inks and filling systems. NEVER EVER EVER use India inks in fountain pens, the pigments inside them will clog the feed mechanism. Use only inks that say "For fountain pen use" and I personally like Skrip, Quink, Private Reserve, Mont Blanc and Conway. Filling systems are how we feed our pens and they fall into the following categories: cartridges, converters and permanent systems.
110.jpg

Cartridges are super easy, just stuff the right one on to the pen and away you go. Drawbacks are they are more expensive long term, limited capacity and limited colors. Converters are also limited in capacity, but are easy to fill and unless you are writing a huge paper, will generally get you through everyday use with another shift to spare. The permanent fill systems can be pump or piston style, the piston style can often seem to hold a gallon of ink and are great for folks who will write literal pages of notes in a single day. The drawbacks to using fillable pens is you must be careful when filling them as spilling the bottle of ink is , well, I am terrified if that day ever comes. So use good sense and a little extra care when feeding! The advantage to using bottles is the unbelievable variety of colors and "wetness" of the inks out there, drying speeds, permanency, etc.
One of the nicest sites out there is the Fountain Pen network http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum [you will find several Loungers there by the way].

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Thanks for that Deacon. I own a couple of pens but have never really used them. I would like to start however and also would like to learn more about how to create a bigger collection of pens.

The link to the Fountain Pen Network is fantastic.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I realized that I had not really gotten specific on some actual recommendations for a new user, so here goes.

First, the Pelikan 150 or the 200 series pens. These are the intro pens to this excellent maker's line and are excellent pens. A bit on the small size, they have excellent nibs and are piston fillers, and seem to hold about a quart of ink.

Next up, the Waterman Phileas/Harley Davidson Free Wheel. Same pen, just one has a HD look. Medium size, weight and again excellent nibs, they can still be found on auction sites for under $25. An all round pen that is a favorite.

Next a pair of starter pens, the Cross Aventura and Sheaffer Javelin. Available online from their makers or in office supply stores for under $40.

Now, the two I actually had in my shirt pocket today, the Cross Century 2 and ATX. The Century is a slimmer pen with a timeless style and light weight. The ATX could probably be used as a prybar, it is all metal construction and feels very good in the hand.

Last up is the only vintage pen I will recommend to a new user, the Parker 45. Recently made it has swappable nibs, and is still recent enough that the filler systems are reliable. I will speak heresy to some Parker fans here, but I consider it superior to the famous model 51.

There are two glaring omissions here in this price range. The Hero line from China and the Lamy Safari. I have no personal experience with either of these pens, so i cannot comment on them but they have excellent reputations. If someone who has experience with them would please post about them, it would be great.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have a number of writing and fountain-pen related articles on my blog if anyone wants to read them.

How to look after your pens. How to buy pens. Where to buy them. How pens changed over time. etc. etc.

if anyone wants the specific links, I'm happy to post them here.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
I have a number of writing and fountain-pen related articles on my blog if anyone wants to read them.

How to look after your pens. How to buy pens. Where to buy them. How pens changed over time. etc. etc.

if anyone wants the specific links, I'm happy to post them here.

Yes please. This thread is great.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Yes. That's the one.

You'll find information there about how to buy fountain pens (new or second-hand), what to look for, what to look OUT for, how to clean and feed them. Nibs. Different types of pens. History of pens. Everything. Hopefully they're of some use.

Connery

One Too Many
This is a great and informative thread thanks all, the pictures are fabulous and Shangas your blog is outstanding.:)

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I am going to withdraw my recommendation for the Cross Aventura, mine just died after light use. Upon checking other users, it has not shown to be a good investment overall.

For me i have found that my personal writing style made me move away from fine points to medium and some broad nibs. They tend to be wetter, smoother and less likely to catch or grab on writing paper that has any tooth / texture. Also my handwriting looks much less neat using a fine point.

Love my platinum pen with the music nib, wet, smooth and adds panache to my handwriting. Also I have an Italic nib ground by Richard Binder for a Namaiki / Pilot Vanishing Point that is the cats meow.

I find i like bigger pens over small but prefer light to heavy. I also prefer to have the cap posted, so nothing infuriates me more than a pen that you cant post the cap or one that is poorly weighted so the cap is too heavy!

If there is a pen that you like that is vintage but find that it is really pricey know that sometimes you can find the desk pen version for less than the personal pocket version. (not always but often)

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Charlie, there are many good online stores that can help you out with ink. Also, go to your nearest office supply store, or if you have a stationer near you, go there and start out with a good black in from Parker or Sheaffer. These are safe and work well in almost any pen out there, but are not as vibrant as some others. I am a huge fan of Private Reserve and Mont Blanc inks, especially the PR American Blue and the MB Racing Green.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Well, after a $40 irritation with the Cross, I picked up a nice surprise today. For $4.49 at Walgreen's I picked up a new Zebra V301 Fountain Pen. This is a cartridge filler with a stainless and black body that is a nice feeling pen in the hand. Now here is the caveat, this is a pen that has a reputation for being a horrible starter when new. If you just follow the directions as a new writer, you will throw this pen in the trash. Here is the trick, install the cartridge per the directions, then put a couple of drops of water on the nib. Blot it with a napkin and it started right up with a very nice line and good feeling nib. For under $5 this has a much nicer nib than the Varsity or V pen disposable by Pilot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24