Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever yearn for a vintage name?

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Have any of you ever yearned for a vintage or era appropriate name? I know it is silly but somewhere along the way I decided on Hazel...I'm not sure why...I just feel like a Hazel. Oh come on, I know I'm not the only one...;)

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
I never really liked my name too much, mainly because I think it is a little boys name, and also because it is a very popular modern name and when I was young there were always a lot of other kids at school with the same one. I think I would like a name that has different variations, like Charles maybe. Then I could be Charley, Charles, or Chuck.

Artigas

Familiar Face
I have a biblical name, statistically common, but I actually don't meet many people with the same name. One of my dad's uncle's has the same name, and he was born in the 30s or 40s. So I guess it's vintage.

donCarlos

Practically Family
My real name´s Joseph, so it´s biblical and I hardly ever meet someone with the same name today. However, I know about lots of older men (like 60 and more) with this name, so I guess it is vintage now.

(It made me think about names today, it´s a pity that the parents are now using the same six names again and again, where is the diversity? (at least here)

Naama

Practically Family
My name is not european, so it probably is vintage. But I'm so envious of my friends name who is called Marlene, really great name I think. I would like to have one of those really old english names, I don't know, but for some reasons they are really appealing to me.

Nama

Wooster

New in Town
I was named after this guy:

Willem_Bartel_van_der_Kooi_-_Eise_Eisinga.jpg

So I guess my name is pretty vintage as it is.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Virgil Thucydides, Conrad Herodotus, Tristram Josephus

"Paul" wouldn't seem out of place back then. I my parents had followed the lead of my father's parents, I would've been the third Clarence Stanley. I think that I 'dodged a bullet there'.

I had a great uncle, whom I don't believe that I ever met, who was named Phares, which is an obscure biblical name. How my fraternal great grandparents, whose first language was Pennsylvania Dutch, concocted that name, I can't say.

I have a great aunt whose name is Edna Gertrude, but everyone calls her, "Cricket."

Foofoogal

Banned
I was named after Sandra Dee so do have a vintage name.
I would love to be Lily though like Lilliana.
We named our daughter after Katherine Hepburn but also Aunt Kate in Petticoat Junction. I always wanted an Aunt Kate.
I did love the Hazel show as a child but not sure I like the name much.
OP, You are very pretty BTW.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Charlotte's a little generic isn't it? I see you more as a Sybille - like Sabine, but more languid and arch, like Sybille Schmitz ;)

I am Paul, after my father's father b. 1902, so I would fit in just fine.

I was paging thru a 1932 phone book in my Iowa town and was surprised to see a first name of Scott. Probably a middle used as a first.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I've always wanted to be an Evelyn. My great-grandmother, who emigrated from France during WWI, was named Leona, and I don't think that would be too shabby, either. I guess Stacey will have to suffice :eusa_doh:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't quite call mu name vintage, but it is pretty mainstream; Robert.

My father's name, George, is rather dated these days. It was very popular between the wars, and is not too common with the unfer 40 crowd.

the names that i think of as vintage are often also ethnic. Vaclav, Simeon, Harvey, Meyer, Solomon, Pawel, Karel, ets.

It seems that then names of women are more subject to fashion, however. In the '80's and 90's popular female names included Minnie, Florence, Bessie, Ethel, Edna, Lillian and Mellie. By the 'teens, Helen, Margaret, Dorothy, Ruth, Mildred, Frances, Rose, and Evelyn were popular. In the 'twenties, Betty, Virginia, Doris, Jean, Marie, Shirley, Lois, Irene, and Gloria entered the scent, and in the 'thirties Barbara, Patricia, Nancy, Carol, Joyce, Marilyn, and Beverly were popular, while in the war years Sandra, Carolyn, Susan, and Janet were common.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up

I always look at the names in the credits of old movies for inspiration.
My absolute favorite is:
Wingate Smith
Brilliant! It's different from more traditional names, yet it's not one of those trendy "names" that is merely a word from the dictionary that has been forced into being a name. It's not an adjective or noun that has been hijacked into a name in other words. lol Why couldn't my parents have thought outside the box as they say and taken their inspiration from the same source?
I was named after the doc that delivered me,....:( no planning.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
My name is Megan, which would not have been uncommon, particularly in an Irish family. And since I go by Maggie or Meg (or even Megs sometimes) it really is quite vintage, I guess. I got made fun of in school when I was very young because my middle name is Ruth, both a biblical and family name. I really like it and the significance that goes with it.

I'm named after a character from the miniseries/novel The Thornbirds. I'm not sure if every Megan born in the last half of the 80's shares the same name origin, but let me tell you there are plenty of them.

If I could change my name I'd want to be Betty, like my grandmother. I love the name Betty, not necessarily more than my own, but quite a bit. If I ever get into acting or writing, my stage name/ pen name will be Betty.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
My name is Jeremy... not Jeremiah, just Jeremy. There are a few people who call me Jeremiah, and I don't mind it, but I'm not big on biblical names. The name Jeremy really didn't come around until the 1960's, so, not very vintage. I really like traditional English names, such as Cornelius, Winston, Alden, etc. I definitely like unique names, but not crazy names! Though, part of me has a thing for ancient Roman names.. and my future offspring may be in danger of a middle name like Leonius, Servius, or Amandus. But baby names are a whole different thread.

There are far too many trendy modern names that are being overused. I won't give examples, just in case someone has one of the names I'm thinking of. One day when I go off the radar I'll change my name to something very classic.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
My name is Jonathan. I do like my name, but the only thing that gets slightly frustrating are the people who insist on calling me John/Jon. The Problem is that "John" is an extremely common name, much more common than Jonathan, or at least it seems to be. I respond to John/Jon, but then again, so do many others around me.

For the first time, I've had to get used to having other Jonathans in school. I'm in my final semester of my undergrad career, and for the first time, there are three Jonathans in one of my classes. It makes it complicated when getting assignments back.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
All my names are vintage-y..
Kathleen Gertrude Hazel
And my belly dance name is Kassia... She was a Bazyntine saint so that's really really vintage.. It's also the Polish variant of Kathrine or Kathleen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy