Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Every day hat?

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
After several weeks of wearing the CD on weekends/evenings when a bit cold, I'm starting to consider wearing a felt hat a bit more often. The thing with the CD is that I find the brim a little bit too wide to wear on most occasions. I love it on weekends and will surely abuse it on vacations, but the brim is quite wide and the crown is very high so I don't see it going to the theatre and what not, the hat, in my opinion (!) is that it is a bit too much for those occasions.

What hat shape, size, form, color would your recommend for day to day wear? I'm very curious. Pictures and prices definitely help the decision making :) I dislike the really stingy brims, so am looking at something rather slightly smaller than the CD than a lot smaller than the CD I guess..

Thank you.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
After several weeks of wearing the CD on weekends/evenings when a bit cold, I'm starting to consider wearing a felt hat a bit more often. The thing with the CD is that I find the brim a little bit too wide to wear on most occasions. I love it on weekends and will surely abuse it on vacations, but the brim is quite wide and the crown is very high so I don't see it going to the theatre and what not, the hat, in my opinion (!) is that it is a bit too much for those occasions.

What hat shape, size, form, color would your recommend for day to day wear? I'm very curious. Pictures and prices definitely help the decision making :) I dislike the really stingy brims, so am looking at something rather slightly smaller than the CD than a lot smaller than the CD I guess..

Thank you.

Since you are a Akubra wearer, why not give the Stylemaster a try? It is a bit less in crown hght. and brim width (2 1/2" bound brim) and comes in about 4 colors depending where you get it from. Here's a head shot of my Mid-Brown

11-8-10011.jpg

and a shot of my Acorn Fawn Stylemaster

96300025.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
A friend and colleague of mine wears that acorn Stylemaster on a daily basis. While I don't think I could pull it off, he makes it work wonderfully.

job

One Too Many
The stylemaster is a good choice because it is a very moderate fedora. It is not extreme in any way. If you don't look good wearing this hat than you must have some extreme features to your head or face.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I wear an Akubra Sydney (comes open crown, ~2.5" brim, raw edge) more often than any other hat. It should be portrayed in my avatar. It's probably just a little less tapered than a Stylemaster. Aside from that, they're very similar hats. Much smaller overall than a CD, which are definitely classic and big. I do have one that I cut down to 2 5/8" and it's my go-to for outdoor activities.

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, my Camp Drafts pretty much are my everyday hats still, but I do understand the desire for something a bit smaller. Love my Nostalgia, and plan to get a Fed IV, but those are again sort of large (though the brim is smaller than the CDs).

I've got some vintages (particularly a brown Stetson) that are getting grabbed off the rack more and more, but for a "regular daily wear" hat, you may not want to go vintage. I'd suggest this; decide on a brim size (say 2 1/2 inches?) and rough crown shape you'd like to wear (Stylemaster looks quite tapered, while both Nostalgia and Fed IV are very straight crowns), and go from there. Deciding those variables will narrow your search considerably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo