Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Most of us ladies in here love being pale, and would like to keep our skin this way as well as battle sundamage.
I have been going through A LOT of testers at my pharmacy and thought I would recommend the absolute gem I found! I like to go fairly high in both SPF and PDD (UVA-protection) - but often, the higher you go, the greasier and white the sunscreen is!

I found a sunscreen by La Roche Posay with SPF50+ and a PDD of 31 wich is pretty high. I have somewhat sensitive, dry and shine-prone skin and this doesn't turn my face into an oil slick! It feels great on my skin and the white cast dissapears after 30 seconds or less.
It's called La Roche Posay Anthelios XL Lait/Lotion (it was called Lait Veloute before, and sometimes you find that name at the side of the box too)
The Creme Fondante is also good, but more emolient.

What is your favorite sunscreen??

MissHannah

One Too Many
Great thread! I wear a cheap Tesco brand SPF50 in the summer but find it rather greasy to apply foundation over so suggestions will be gratefully received!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I was just thinking about this.....I was a sun goddess for years in the mountains of Idaho during my 20's...I also smoked thru my 20's (welll---and half of my 30's...I *finally* quit two months ago, YippiEE!!) and my skin has remained mostly resilient. I have always gotten compliments about it. (This is probably in part due to my sunless Alaskan childhood). :) The last three years I have stayed out of the sun completely or worn 45+. And I think I am answering my own question even as I type this.

I am going on holiday for two weeks in Florida, and I have been trying to decide if I should sun or not....we are staying in a house with a pool and lovely deck, right by the canal. It has been such a dreary long winter in the NorthWest I am tempted to throw caution to the wind and bake in the sun---it always lifts my spirits and makes me feel so good between the ears.

However, it is probably the same risk as saying "Oh...i will just have one cigarette at the bar tonight...no harm done!" Knowing full well that it is cancerous and unhealthy. And if I want to preserve my skin.....sigh.

I guess i could compromise and wear SPF25. :) I will check out the La Roche...is it waterproof? I need a good, relatively high SPF that is waterproof at doesn't hurt rosacea sensitive skin....unscented, colorless, non-irritating.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
MissAmelina said:
I was just thinking about this.....I was a sun goddess for years in the mountains of Idaho during my 20's...I also smoked thru my 20's (welll---and half of my 30's...I *finally* quit two months ago, YippiEE!!) and my skin has remained mostly resilient. I have always gotten compliments about it. (This is probably in part due to my sunless Alaskan childhood). :) The last three years I have stayed out of the sun completely or worn 45+. And I think I am answering my own question even as I type this.

I am going on holiday for two weeks in Florida, and I have been trying to decide if I should sun or not....we are staying in a house with a pool and lovely deck, right by the canal. It has been such a dreary long winter in the NorthWest I am tempted to throw caution to the wind and bake in the sun---it always lifts my spirits and makes me feel so good between the ears.

However, it is probably the same risk as saying "Oh...i will just have one cigarette at the bar tonight...no harm done!" Knowing full well that it is cancerous and unhealthy. And if I want to preserve my skin.....sigh.

I guess i could compromise and wear SPF25. :) I will check out the La Roche...is it waterproof? I need a good, relatively high SPF that is waterproof at doesn't hurt rosacea sensitive skin....unscented, colorless, non-irritating.
Click the yelllow part of my post. It's water resistant.
It's pretty mild and to start with La Roche Posay company is a favorite among people with sensitive skin. They even have a skinline for Rosacea (Called Rosaliac)

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Tinseltown said:
Click the yelllow part of my post. It's water resistant.
It's pretty mild and to start with La Roche Posay company is a favorite among people with sensitive skin. They even have a skinline for Rosacea (Called Rosaliac)

I am so getting this! I checked the boards on makeupalley.com and it has high reviews, even with people who have sensitive skin, so hopefully it will work fine just fine. Thanks a million. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
MissAmelina said:

I once got a fairly bad sunburn in Florida in early February. Proceed with caution. :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you guys serious with $50 sunscreen? Too rich for my blood. I used to use Original Bombshell sunscreen, mostly because of the adorable packaging, but they don't seem to be making it anymore. :(

For effective sunscreen on the cheap, I'm a fan of No-Ad, which my thrifty father discovered in some drug store or other.

Fr luxurious sunblock, I'll go with PTR any day. Non-greasy, moisturizing, and still apparently a bargain at $26! ;)

I'm also a fan of the spray-on sunscreens, though they can be dangerous because you aren't sure exactly where you sprayed them.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Are you guys serious with $50 sunscreen? Too rich for my blood. I used to use Original Bombshell sunscreen, mostly because of the adorable packaging, but they don't seem to be making it anymore. :(

For effective sunscreen on the cheap, I'm a fan of No-Ad, which my thrifty father discovered in some drug store or other.

Fr luxurious sunblock, I'll go with PTR any day. Non-greasy, moisturizing, and still apparently a bargain at $26! ;)

I'm also a fan of the spray-on sunscreens, though they can be dangerous because you aren't sure exactly where you sprayed them.

I realise the american price is hefty...
The price for it in europe is around $27.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Oh! Makes much more sense :)

yeah...i will only pay that much for a "face" product that will last a good long time. I will find a much cheaper high spf mineral sunscreen for my body. My bod is a heck of a lot less sensitive than my face. :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any hope for the oily ones?

Hi ladies - I am on the hunt for a high SPF (50 is standard for me!) sunscreen that won't make me break out. My skin is oily, large-pored (so stuff gets in) and very burnable - then I freckle, which is adding insult to injury.
I need a sunscreen that is NOT a cream, more like just the liquid with the chemical. Like they were originally in the 70s!
Even Neutrogena for the face makes me break out. And forget the No Ad and that sort of thing, loaded with mineral oil.
Any ideas? The one in the first post sounds promising, except the poster says they have dry skin...so it may be dangerous for me.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I use the Dr Murad Oil Free Sunblock SPF 30 for my face and neck - it feels nice on - not greasy or shiny. I really should wear it every day - even in Winter - but I tend to leave it till Summer (but I don't use it every day either) - Ireland is not reknowned for sunny weather as you all know!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
Hi ladies - I am on the hunt for a high SPF (50 is standard for me!) sunscreen that won't make me break out. My skin is oily, large-pored (so stuff gets in) and very burnable - then I freckle, which is adding insult to injury.
I need a sunscreen that is NOT a cream, more like just the liquid with the chemical. Like they were originally in the 70s!
Even Neutrogena for the face makes me break out. And forget the No Ad and that sort of thing, loaded with mineral oil.
Any ideas? The one in the first post sounds promising, except the poster says they have dry skin...so it may be dangerous for me.

Miss 29, I hear you. I have the same craptastic skin and want the same type of sunblock.
I currently use a 15, by Olay, their higher SPFs are like a glob of grease.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
You could try the Fluide Extreme from the brand I meantioned in the first post.
It is a very VERY runny cream.. smells a bit alcohol-like tho. [huh]
Sorry I couldn't help much.

Mojito

One Too Many
How do these sunscreens go with foundation? Are there any that can be combined? I try to use foundations with some SPF protection, but this usually seems to top out at 15% or so, and ideally in our climate we need at least 30%.

Miss 1929, have you tried any of the gels? I use a sportsgel sunscreen by Bananaboat - it goes on easily and isn't greasy. Very light and fresh on the skin. There used to also be one by Le Tan, but I don't know if it's still in production (I loved the smell - the first time I ever used it was on a diving trip in the Coral Sea, and every time I caught a whiff of it I was transported back to a cobalt blue sea and a clear blue sky, relaxing on deck waiting for the next dive). Unfortunately, I find that trying to apply makeup over the sunscreen results in a sort of pilling effect - don't know how better to describe it, but the two do not mix. I've had to resort to "dabbing" the foundation on at times, and trying not to blend it too much.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
Cool, I will try it! I like anything with "extreme" in the name...
Just beware that it's really alcohol smelling.
I didn't like it personally as it's for oily skin, while mine is dry.
I hope it will work for you though!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
How do these sunscreens go with foundation? Are there any that can be combined? I try to use foundations with some SPF protection, but this usually seems to top out at 15% or so, and ideally in our climate we need at least 30%.

Miss 1929, have you tried any of the gels? I use a sportsgel sunscreen by Bananaboat - it goes on easily and isn't greasy. Very light and fresh on the skin. There used to also be one by Le Tan, but I don't know if it's still in production (I loved the smell - the first time I ever used it was on a diving trip in the Coral Sea, and every time I caught a whiff of it I was transported back to a cobalt blue sea and a clear blue sky, relaxing on deck waiting for the next dive). Unfortunately, I find that trying to apply makeup over the sunscreen results in a sort of pilling effect - don't know how better to describe it, but the two do not mix. I've had to resort to "dabbing" the foundation on at times, and trying not to blend it too much.
The sunscreen I mention in my frist post (Lait) is applied over a light moisturizer (La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluide) and then I apply liquid foundation. No piling, but I do allow 5 minutes to let every thing set in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot