Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I'm back from my weekend camping and hiking trip to the Hoosier National Forest. It's really beautiful down there now. We hiked about five-and-a-half miles of trails on Saturday. After going up and down the hills all day, I'm now doing a very credible impression of a 100-year-old man. The weather was beautiful during the day, but down to freezing both Friday and Saturday nights. It got a little chilly in the tent, but I survived. Here's one of my fellow hikers and myself taking a break on the trail. I'm on the left.

HNF1.jpg
[/IMG]

TidiousTed

Practically Family
I miss camping and haven't been in years.

I grew up camping, my parents loved it. First we had a large tent, then a combi-camp (a strange mix between a trailer and a tent) then a camping trailer. We'd travel around Norway, Sweden and Denmark in the summer holiday or closer to Oslo in the weekends.
I kept it up with my daughters, it is a great way to teach children to appreciate nature and the outdoor life. And now my girlfriend and I hike and camp in the woods with friends. I still love it.

rue

I grew up camping, my parents loved it. First we had a large tent, then a combi-camp (a strange mix between a trailer and a tent) then a camping trailer. We'd travel around Norway, Sweden and Denmark in the summer holiday or closer to Oslo in the weekends.
I kept it up with my daughters, it is a great way to teach children to appreciate nature and the outdoor life. And now my girlfriend and I hike and camp in the woods with friends. I still love it.

How neat that you grew up doing it and still do :)

I was 23 years old the first time I ever went camping, if you can believe that! lol

TidiousTed

Practically Family
How neat that you grew up doing it and still do :)

I was 23 years old the first time I ever went camping, if you can believe that! lol

I know people living in Oslo where the woodlands are so close and free to hike and camp for everyone who has turned fifty and stil haven't done it ;)

"bundled up like a first-grader in January " lol

It looks absolutely gorgeous there and it looks like you had a great time :)

I miss camping and haven't been in years.

Did you look up HD?

HD had the thermostat set at 78 while watching beach bunnys play volleyball at the seashore on the discovery channel.
Last time I camped was in July 1988 on a motorcycle trip to Tennesee when I discovered 'the air mattress'. Unfortunately...they weren't issued during my stint of 'camping' in the Army.
I can remember summer days of my youth camping with my parents along the Salamonie River(here in Indiana)..and my brothers..sister and I playing in the waterfalls. The best part of camping for me was fresh fish frying over a campfire under a star studded sky....but no.1 was no doubt the early morning wonderful smell and sound of bacon sizzling in the skillet.
...but sleeping outside in the COLD...have you completely 'Flipped your Lid'..???:eeek:
Now when someone inquires if I'm a camper..I reply..No...but I did stay at a Comfort Inn last night...:cool3:

Dan'l

Practically Family
Here's another one taken from our camp on Saturday morning. I'm bundled up like a first-grader in January because it's thirty degrees. That hot coffee tasted mighty fine.

HNF2.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey Flipped Lid,
Glad to hear the trip went well. I was wondering about it a couple of weeks ago and couldn't remember when you said it was taking place.

I've woke up covered in snow before but I'll take that any day over waking up covered with ticks! :eeek: That's happened more than once in the back country.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
That's an excellent point. The other huge problem with wearing real vintage all the time is the durability of the clothing. Many things are still rockin' on, for sure, but many more have been damaged and worn out with use and time. It isn't feasible to wear them every day, unless you're okay with ruining them - and I am vehemently against that. If they've lasted this long that they've made their way into my hands, I could not be the one to initiate their demise.

Ooo if you do, I found the best place for it: http://www.befunky.com/

Here's one of the ones I did. They come out pretty good, eh? :)

OldPhoto_14.jpg

I know what you mean about vintage clothes being fragile. I'm not only paranoid about where I store my dresses, but also my hats. I'm always worried about the moths getting to them. I don't quite own enough hat boxes (or have the space for them). I need a separate house for just my vintage things. :D

I love the picture C-Dot. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

My green? I don't have green if I can help it---especially furniture. :p

Seeing how much you bash the color green in a lot of your posts, made me think how much it is your favorite color.....*to hate*. What did green ever do to you? ;)

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
In this day and age you were damn lucky to find someone who could sew!

In a hotel no less.

Tell me about it. I learned as a young sprat, so I used to think everyone could sew. It sure comes in handy when you lose a button, or need to hem your pants, or even make your own clothes when nothing in the stores is quite right :)

I always tell people if they ask me if I sew and I always tell them that I hand sew very badly. lol!! Which reminds me that I have two blouses and one vintage dress that are screaming at me to sew some buttons on them. :D My sister and I used to spend a lot of time at our grandmother and aunt's house and we would sew some things on their sewing machines all the time. Both of them worked as seamstresses. They have both passed on now and so much of me misses that now. My mother hates to sew and she only does it out of "necessity". lol! I've always wanted to take some classes to refresh my memory. I've always been fascinated with the idea of sewing your own clothes or fashion accessories. The last sewing machine I worked on was a vintage 1920s hand cranked Singer. I loved that machine. I really wanted to buy it, but I didn't have the money. :(

I always find it interesting that along with a Gideon Bible, there's usually a sewing kit in the bathroom at almost any hotel you stay at (well at least the ones that I have been at). Both my mom and I say, "Gee, that's nice." lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy