Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience with Lewis Leathers veg tanned sheepskin or Addict Clothes sheepskin

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hey guys,
As I recently sold my only real lightweight jacket, I was considering to buy my first Lewis Leathers (type: Lightning 391) in veg tanned sheep skin (black version) for late Spring/Summer. Alternatively Addict Clothes (same type in sheepskin) which is much more expensive - therefore I tend to LL. Fine Creek Leathers "Edward" is also appealing but unavailable in Europe and perhaps too heavy for Summer. I only know the off the rack mall lambskin/sheepskin jackets which are flimsy and not made in high quality. I'm concerned that I buy a rather expensive LL sheepskin jacket which feels similar to a mall jacket as I've never handled LL and their sheepskin. I don't have the opportunity to try one on. What is your experience? Is it worth the money or should I look out for an alternative one - if so, which one would you recommend? Shall be in a price range of <1000 USD (like LL, Aero or less).
Thanks in advance!
Robbie

Winthorpe

New in Town
While I do not own either one I handled them both. Both hides are much better than what is used for an off-the-rack mall jacket.

Here’s a thread that cover’s Lewis Leathers sheepskin in case you haven’t seen that one yet (link). Also, the US stockiest for Lewis Leathers, The Stronghold in Venice, has better pictures (and a bit more information) than the Lewis Leathers website: (link).

That said, the sheepskin hides Lewis Leathers and Addict Clothes use are quite different. The Addict Clothes hide is a tea-core leather, meaning it will age/ patina much quicker than the Lewis Leathers hide as the top layer wears off on pressure points. To me it also felt dryer (if that makes any sense) than the Lewis Leathers hide.

Edward

Bartender
That said, the sheepskin hides Lewis Leathers and Addict Clothes use are quite different. The Addict Clothes hide is a tea-core leather, meaning it will age/ patina much quicker than the Lewis Leathers hide as the top layer wears off on pressure points. To me it also felt dryer (if that makes any sense) than the Lewis Leathers hide.

Yes, I've handled a lot of vintage (70s and earlier) Lewis jackets over time, and they all stayed pretty black, maybe greying here and there. The genuine vintage jackets that I've seen go teacore were more American, really. I don't consider it much of an accurate British look, but then I'm sure there is a market for people who like the distinctly British shape / cut/ details of the Lewis jackets, but would like them to teacore to a really beaten up, brownish look.

The Lewis sheep leather is not as hardwearing as the horse or steer (I certainly would want to ride a bike in it - there's a lot less abrasion resistance there, imo, than in the average goat hide), but that said it's not as fragile as, say, the average lambskin. Worth handling if you can find one. It's accurate for British jackets of the period (indeed, it's what the originals were commonly made of too), unlike their heavier, American counterparts.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Have you tried on any of the lewis jackets in horsehide? I was surprised to find it considerably lighter than the cowhide, somewhere between the sheep and cowhide. Apparently it breaks in amd develops patina far quicker than the cowhide.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I've handled a lot of vintage (70s and earlier) Lewis jackets over time, and they all stayed pretty black, maybe greying here and there. The genuine vintage jackets that I've seen go teacore were more American, really. I don't consider it much of an accurate British look, but then I'm sure there is a market for people who like the distinctly British shape / cut/ details of the Lewis jackets, but would like them to teacore to a really beaten up, brownish look.

The Lewis sheep leather is not as hardwearing as the horse or steer (I certainly would want to ride a bike in it - there's a lot less abrasion resistance there, imo, than in the average goat hide), but that said it's not as fragile as, say, the average lambskin. Worth handling if you can find one. It's accurate for British jackets of the period (indeed, it's what the originals were commonly made of too), unlike their heavier, American counterparts.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience on LL jackets. This is still a difficult decision and I'm really torn but still have enough time to consider which one would be the best choice for a Spring/Summer jacket - "worst case" I will wear a non-leather jacket or just a sweater :)

D

Deleted member 16736

FWIW, I think the dark brown sheepskin is gorgeous. I'm really impressed by the pictures on The Stronghold website. Tanned in France, the leather appears to be excellent quality (drum dyed and veg-tanned) and looks like it came out of a 1940's tannery. It's more fragile than goat or horse, but that just means it'll age faster, which is a good thing in my opinion. It won't disintegrate in your lifetime, so don't worry about it unless you ride a bike. Frankly, it's the leather I'd go with over any other leather I've seen in a leather jacket on the market today. Brown is an unconventional choice for an MC jacket, but the black sheep is also very nice.
https://thestronghold.com/collectio...5-dark-brown-sheepskin?variant=12402485166180

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis