Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabrics

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Can anyone reccomend a place to get good suiting fabric?I've been thinking about using a travelling tailor (I have no real tailors around here) that allows customers to use their own fabric,because in the long run it's no more expensive than an OTR suit.By the way,the tailoring service I'm looking in to is http://www.princehenry.biz (anyone have any experience with them?)

Will

One of the Regulars
At Prince Henry's price point you may as well have them provide the cloth IMO. If you find anything at comparable prices yourself it will be from a no-name Chinese or Indian mill and you'll have no way to know if it's decent quality.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Will said:
At Prince Henry's price point you may as well have them provide the cloth IMO. If you find anything at comparable prices yourself it will be from a no-name Chinese or Indian mill and you'll have no way to know if it's decent quality.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't agree with my plans.Here's my rationale for wanting to go this route;I can either have a suit that is made to my measurements and exact specifications (working buttonholes on the cuffs,monogramming inside jacket,silk blend lining in burgundy,pick stitching,high waist slacks with brace buttons,and a few other options) that is at least 1/2 canvassed for $199.99 (not counting shipping),or I can have an OTR suit for which I will have to spend a small fortune on alterations,none of the details listed above (not to mention fused),for maybe just a bit less.Which would you choose?And by the way,I have a fabric store where I live and I'm sure the ladies there can find some suitable fabric (that is at least equal in quality to the fabric for an OTR suit at my price point). ;)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
You haven't (yet) revealed what kind of fabric you're looking for, but fabrics are at least as much a problem as are tailors. The usual fabric store where one lives won't do even distantly.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
You haven't (yet) revealed what kind of fabric you're looking for, but fabrics are at least as much a problem as are tailors. The usual fabric store where one lives won't do even distantly.

Charcoal gray or navy blue Super-100's wool.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Go ahead, take the plunge.

53577jaws.jpg

Will

One of the Regulars
cufflinkmaniac said:
Gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't agree with my plans.Here's my rationale for wanting to go this route;I can either have a suit that is made to my measurements and exact specifications (working buttonholes on the cuffs,monogramming inside jacket,silk blend lining in burgundy,pick stitching,high waist slacks with brace buttons,and a few other options) that is at least 1/2 canvassed for $199.99 (not counting shipping),or I can have an OTR suit for which I will have to spend a small fortune on alterations,none of the details listed above (not to mention fused),for maybe just a bit less.Which would you choose?And by the way,I have a fabric store where I live and I'm sure the ladies there can find some suitable fabric (that is at least equal in quality to the fabric for an OTR suit at my price point). ;)

I have no disagreement with your desire to have a suit made. My point is that Prince Henry provides fabrics. They presumeably know more about it than you do, so why not get them there?

You're not going to save a significant amount of money sourcing cloth yourself, and if you make a mistake you'll have thrown your money away.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Will said:
I have no disagreement with your desire to have a suit made. My point is that Prince Henry provides fabrics. They presumeably know more about it than you do, so why not get them there?

You're not going to save a significant amount of money sourcing cloth yourself, and if you make a mistake you'll have thrown your money away.

Good point.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Just a word of caution when dealing with Thai tailors - make sure you specify EVERY little detail (even if it seems obvious). My brother had a suit made when in Thailand and forget to say anything about vents. He assumed (somewhat naively) that they would go with a double vent but when it came back, it had no vent, as he hadn't mentioned it at all.

He is not the kind of person to worry himself about this sort of thing, and just wanted a cheap suit, but just to let you know.

I agree with Will - you can easily end up spending as much, if not more, on the fabric from elsewhere, defeating the point of using these tailors. Also, remember that if they screw the suit up in some way, e.g. making it to the wrong size, then you will have lost the money you spent on the fabric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner