Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial Hair

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Hey

Was wondering if someone could post some Golden Era (1930s-1940s) actual photos of facial hair rarities, as in pictures taken during the golden of men with:

1) Goatees
2) Full mustaches (as far as I'm aware only pencil mustaches were popular in the mainstream in the Golden era)
3) Full beards

Rathko

New in Town
Stalin.jpg

Stalin, Soviet General Secretary

trotsky1.jpg

Trotsky, Soviet politician

einstein.jpg

Einstein, physicist

Arthur-Ransome-wearing-hi-001.jpg

Arthur Ransom, writer

chamberlain1.jpg

Neville Chamberlain, British politician

LizzieMaine

Bartender
monty-woolley-1.jpg

Monty Woolley -- the most famous beard on Broadway

Thomas%20Dewey.jpg

District Attorney/Governor Thomas E. Dewey -- the most famous moustache in New York. (No relation to Moe Pep.)

09bats_533.jpg

Frenchy Bordagaray, Brooklyn Dodgers, 1936. The last major league ballplayer to wear facial hair until 1972.

george-bernard-shaw-1934-12-06.jpg

George Bernard Shaw, 1934 -- the most famous whiskers in the world.

And of course, how could we forget --

00000000000000000000colona1_2.jpg

Radio's greatest moustache, Jerry Colonna.

YETI

A-List Customer
He should've kept the goatee. It would have looked cool with his attire. He was a snappy dresser. I believe he owned a haberdashery once.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
He should've kept the goatee. It would have looked cool with his attire. He was a snappy dresser. I believe he owned a haberdashery once.

He did indeed. And he was probably one of the biggest hat fans we ever had in the White house. He had a hat for literally EVERY occasion and was very rarely seen without a hat of some kind--Whether it be a homburg, his favorite fedora, a panama hat, a flatcap in the summer, etc. And he still wore them into old age, when they weren't as popular. I read once that when summoned to the White House--when he was to be given news of FDR's death (he didn't know it yet)--he first made a detour to his office to grab his fedora. That's how important hats were to Truman.

He also revived the Top Hat for his Inaugural in 1949, and was ENRAGED--Literally, enraged--when Eisenhower tossed aside the traditional Top Hat for a Homburg for his inaugurations in 1953 and 1957, and grudgingly wore a homburg so as not to look out of place. He took the whole thing personally. He felt that formality and tradition should be obeyed.

And yes, besides hats, Truman was indeed a snappy dresser for his era:
66-857.jpg

On vacation in Key West, late 1940s.

YETI

A-List Customer
Nice pic of Truman sporting an aloha shirt. I believe he was ridiculed for wearing those. But it was the"Bold Look" era.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just picked up a copy of David McCullough's bio of Truman. It's called "Truman". ;) Lots of good pics of him dressed very snappily. There's a great shot of him with a very spiffy double breasted off white linen suit and some snazzy spectators.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars

I wish my piano had the good sense to dress that well, haha. :D

As an aside, I was reading a book about the secret service and some of Truman's original agents stated that not only was he a snappy dresser and gentleman in the public eye, he was both in private as well and treated everyone, including his security detail, very well. A true gentleman indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner