Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fair Usage Bumping Policy

J. Randall

Familiar Face
Could a moderator please clarify rules about bumping , as certain ads are being bumped without adding to the number of comments , staying in the front page on a regular basis puts other ads at a signifigant disadvantage (perhaps editing a recent comment does this) . Bumping this way is very unfair and banned in every other forum ive sold it in , please advise

NamoAmituofo

New in Town
I do personally find the 'daily bumps' excessive and unfair and to the degree of annoying - from a potential buyer perspective as well - I often need to go on to page 2 or 3 to see 'genuinely new ads' which are of great interest to me.

Please, at least give it a week between 'bumps'!

bigmanbigtruck

Familiar Face
Good point. Sometimes I see multiple threads (3+) from the same OP getting bumped over consecutive weeks.

At that point may be better to just consolidate them into one post.

I bump once a week.
@ton312, while I mostly agree about chances of selling here, thing is that the Classifieds became so incredibly busy as of late that people regularly miss out on stuff. I do! Nothing lasts more than three hours on the first page anymore. I already missed out on two things because I never spotted them in time, despite the bumping, which is now essential as you barely get to catch up with stuff posted within your time zone, let alone when something gets posted at the other side of the planet. By the time I wake up, that's long gone and buried.

hungapotamus

New in Town
I don't think it benefits the seller to constantly bump anyways.

The longer an item sits unsold with many bumps lowers the market value of that item to me. I'm more likely to make a lowball offer if I'm actually interested.

Bennarion

One Too Many
I usually don't go to the ads page. I click on the bell and see a new sale announcement. If I'm interested, I'll review the ad.

unhatted

One of the Regulars
Have been guilty of this—ignorance on my part, having prior forum experience in what was obviously the wild-west, bumping wise. Noted with apologies.

J. Randall

Familiar Face
Im sure we are all guilty of bumping more than once a week , usually for something we really need the money for , as long as it doesnt continually happen , on a regular basis to ALL your ads , i think thats part of learning in the classified to sell better , and the more you use it the less you do this , wanting to give others equal time on the front page.
At least when you bump weekly it shows up as a counted comment .

The real problem is people taking advantage of the loophole and bumping the ad up while not adding to the number of comments on the ad!!
I know from experience it is much harder to sell when you have a dozen comments from the seller and none from interested parties , it makes people think its not in demand and generates less interest.

Thanks for all the interesting comments , good to see im not the only one noticing this.

J. Randall

Familiar Face
I don't think it benefits the seller to constantly bump anyways.

The longer an item sits unsold with many bumps lowers the market value of that item to me. I'm more likely to make a lowball offer if I'm actually interested.
agree , draws nothing but low ball offers , while the opposite adds value to your item( temporarily anyway )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR