Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous Pipe Smokers

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
There are indeed a lot of threads on Pipes and Pipe Smoking but I couldn't find anything on Famous Pipe Smokers; if there is and I have missed it, I apologise.

That aside, I was wondering who people's favourite famous pipe smoker is and if they know any stories or anecdotes related to the individual's pipe smoking?

My personal favourite is:

Clive Staples Lewis

2_cslewis.jpg

The picture says it all I think.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John, thanks for link - it'll make a fine Avatar.

After a little bit of research it turns out that; Lewis and JRR Tolkein and Owen Barfield (see picture) were all pipe smokers. I wonder if Charles Williams was too?
The four or at least three of the Inklings pipe smoking together in deep discussion paints an excellent portrait.

barfield.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I grew up in a house where pipe was smoked on daily basis by my dad!
Pipe smoke always brings very sweet memories to me. :)

Basil Rathbone who played Sherlock Holmes became a pipe smoker just for the part, and smoked Peterson's in the films.

sh06.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
12613b900.jpg

The venerable Mrs. Rachel Hamilton

Mrs Rachel Hamilton (nee Johnston), nicknamed "Big Rachel", was originally from Ireland but lived in Partick. She was 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighed around 17 stone.

Tiller

Practically Family
Norman Rockwell
rockwell.jpg

Prince Edward
edwardmemthumb.jpg

Arron Spelling
spelling.jpg

Gerald Ford
Gerald-smoking-pipe.gif

Jeremy Brett liked to smoke anything with tobacco in it. Cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. Supposedly he'd smoke 3 packs a day on set, along with smoking his pipe and cigars.
brett.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass