Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FAMOUS suit w/ double-breasted vest gets NO love

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Last July, Debbie Reynolds offered at auction an amazing suit with a double-breasted waistcoat, worn by actor Donald O’Connor (as “Cosmo Brown”) in several key scenes of Singin’ in the Rain (1952). The opening price was $8,000. Oddly, this wonderful suit didn’t garner a single bid and remained unsold at the auction’s close.

I saw the suit in person last June. It seems to have been made by MGM’s wardrobe tailors as an early 1950s reproduction of a late ‘20s style. The fabric is a lightweight, light grey tropical worsted wool with subtle windowpane stripes. The condition appears to be excellent.

Did any Fedora Loungers consider bidding on it?

DebbieSITRCostmes-518x1024.jpg

00001bw7.jpg

4_20_2011_135642.jpg

[video=youtube;bU2zoQ8gV-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU2zoQ8gV-s&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
I would not have. Suit looks tiny, and I am not about to spend eight grand on a suit that I could never wear. Might spend half that on a bespoke suit I COULD wear though.

GBR

One of the Regulars
Last July, Debbie Reynolds offered at auction an amazing suit with a double-breasted waistcoat, worn by actor Donald O’Connor (as “Cosmo Brown”) in several key scenes of Singin’ in the Rain (1952). The opening price was $8,000. Oddly, this wonderful suit didn’t garner a single bid and remained unsold at the auction’s close.

I saw the suit in person last June. It seems to have been made by MGM’s wardrobe tailors as an early 1950s reproduction of a late ‘20s style. The fabric is a lightweight, light grey tropical worsted wool with subtle windowpane stripes. The condition appears to be excellent.

Did any Fedora Loungers consider bidding on it?

[video=youtube;bU2zoQ8gV-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU2zoQ8gV-s&feature=related[/video]

No, but why did you not bid?

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Had I almost five thousand pounds to spend on a famous actor's suit, I certainly would've done. It might've fitted me although I fear I'm slightly larger in the chest and waist than O'Connor. Did you snatch the measurements at all, Marc?

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Well, that would have been one reason for me not to bid on it. I haven't been a 38 since I was a skinny teenager and I was never a R. However, along with Doc I would gladly wear one that looked like it.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Oh Good Lord, it sounds like it would have fitted me then, being a 38R and all.

However, eight thousand dollars or equivalent I do not have. It's certainly a suit I'd want to wear often if I did own it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy