Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fancy dress issues

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
my birthday party is in just under 2 months. it's supposed to be fancy dress. and i suddenly realised i don't know what to do.:eek: i'd prefer something vintage based but i don't know. only thing i could think of was cleopatra (liz taylor version). but i'm not sure.

someone! inspire me!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
What about Marilyn as Sugar in Some Like it Hot? You could do the 50s pin-up as a 20s flapper (complete with a ukulele?)?

marilynmonroe-f2cgtwy8.jpg

Miss Brill

One Too Many

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Yes,that's the one.Thanks so much for posting it for me.I couldn't get the image to copy for me at all.

Foofoogal

Banned
:eek:fftopic: I just love Winona Ryder. Everytime I see her my mother instincts kick in and I want to take her home and feed her soup. Seems like she is always getting beat up on for some reason. Isn't there some of these stars you wish people would just leave alone and have some respect. I cannot imagine trying to have children with paparazzi all over the place.
Gorgeous dress on her.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
:eek:fftopic: I just love Winona Ryder. Everytime I see her my mother instincts kick in and I want to take her home and feed her soup. Seems like she is always getting beat up on for some reason. Isn't there some of these stars you wish people would just leave alone and have some respect. I cannot imagine trying to have children with paparazzi all over the place.
Gorgeous dress on her.

I wish they'd leave all of them alone. As for "trying to have children with paparazzi all over the place:" :eek: sounds like something Paris Hilton would do.

Anyway...is the party costume or just formal?

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
it's just costume. it's my birthday party so i like to keep it fun.
the marilyn idea is great. only problem is i'm having problems finding a flapper dress in my size.
the winona idea is perfect except for me being a lot bigger than her. this is why i'm struggling. i can't pull off thin lasses, cos i bear no resemblance. marilyn i could just about pull off. but there are so many people who do her at every fancy dress party.

hmmm.
so far it's lookin like boo from monsters inc. and that's neither glamorous or vintage. *huff*

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You'd look fab as La Liz in Cleopatra. I love that look on a dark-haired gal and I've never seen anyone try it.
As I was typing this I realized I went to a Hollywood-themed Halloween party as Miss Taylor portraying Maggie the Cat but since the costume was only a slip I can't post the picture on the Lounge. It's on my MySpace.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Hurrah for the curvier gal!!!!
What about Bettie Page? (looking at your pic)
Loads of pencil skirts and leopard prints around at the mo? Or you could for the really ott look!
Liz as Cleo sounds cool though and dead easy to do. Let us know how you get on>?

Miss Brill

One Too Many
sophia la shok said:
it's just costume. it's my birthday party so i like to keep it fun.
the marilyn idea is great. only problem is i'm having problems finding a flapper dress in my size.
the winona idea is perfect except for me being a lot bigger than her. this is why i'm struggling. i can't pull off thin lasses, cos i bear no resemblance. marilyn i could just about pull off. but there are so many people who do her at every fancy dress party.

hmmm.
so far it's lookin like boo from monsters inc. and that's neither glamorous or vintage. *huff*

What about Morticia Addams? She was so glam & sexy.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
You would be a gorgeous "Scarlett O'hara" too ~
I am sure they have some great dresses at a costume shop.
And you could talk southern all night ~ That would be fun!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
i like the idea of betty page although it wouldn't really be dressing up. i kinda did that look for about 4 years. so it's not really going in costume. hee hee.

morticia is the thinnest of the thin and i can't pull that off, no matter which corset i wear.

betty boop is an idea too, although i'm not sure i could pull off a short short dress. the thighs will just not allow. lol

rosie riveter is also a classic option- but in the uk she is only known amongst rockabilly girls and i'm the only one out of the 200 that will be there who would know who it was.

grrrr. this is driving me insane. just over a month to go now too. and i'm still stuck. and still being picky as all hell. sorry ladies. but i want it to be just right.

xxxxx

Miss Brill

One Too Many
What about Rita as Gilda? It is just a black satin gown & long gloves.
ritahayworth02-46rrzvg21.jpg

Or Dior's New Look--with the wasp waist & full skirts.

Or Ava Gardner Spanish-style:
avagardner04-46rs1906m.jpg

Dorothy Lamour:
dotlam-1ia00tod.jpg

A flapper--Clara Bow:
clarabow01-46rs2s9aj.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael