Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

The Shooman

Practically Family
Have to make this a quick post. Looks l don't tolerate well are:

* wearing sneakers outside of sport
* wearing baseball caps outside of sport, wearing it backwards is even worse (can't stand it)
* men who wear footwear that exposes their toes (no-one wants to see a mans toes)
* wearing rubber soled shoos in large towns or cities
* men who wear singlettes in public
* over powering aftershaves or perfumes, is this only a more recent thing?
* text messaging
* pointy toe shoos/boots on the ladies
* men who wear shoos with no socks
* Hawaiian shirts (never ever)

The Shooman

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
I saw a young man sporting a nice dark grey suit and tie with flip flops. Ratty old flip flops. And a ratty red back pack. While chugging a sport drink.

I wanted to scream. Flip flops with formal clothes - has it really come to this?

l'm glad you saw it and not me. Must have been quite a sight, unfortunately so common these days.

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I am in college, and there are somethings that even though I'm not really a fan of them, even I wear because it's functional for my life at the moment. If I was only going to class, I would probably dress more vintage everyday, but I work in an Archaeology lab right after class (no time to change) and I will get dirty, everyday, without fail. So I tend to wear t-shirts and jeans I don't mind getting dirty instead of my nice sweaters and buttondown shirts with skirts and nice pants.

The Shooman said:
* wearing baseball caps outside of sport, wearing it backwards is even worse (can't stand it)
* wearing rubber soled shoos in large towns or cities
Ever try to do any kind of work where you have to get your face right into it with a hat-brim or even glasses in the way? And as for the rubber soles, certain fields require electrical isolation, and leather ain't too hot an insulator...

I suppose I could see about having a leather facing added to isolator soles, but steel-toed isolator oxfords and bluchers are already ridiculously expensive and usually have to be custom-made...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The Shooman said:
Have to make this a quick post. Looks l don't tolerate well are:

* wearing sneakers outside of sport Unless you make a sport of wearing them.
* wearing baseball caps outside of sport, wearing it backwards is even worse (can't stand it) I've never asked someone wearing a cap like that if they cared how I wear my fedora. I was always too afraid that they could easily catch me in their sport shoes and then they'd have their girlfriends puncture me with their horribly pointy toed boots (see below)
* men who wear footwear that exposes their toes (no-one wants to see a mans toes) Actually, someone did ask to see them once, but he was some kind of fetishist and I sent him packing.
* wearing rubber soled shoos in large towns or cities You hear that all you country bumpkins? Keep your rubber shod soles off of our elegantly adorned sidewalks!
* men who wear singlettes in public
* over powering aftershaves or perfumes, is this only a more recent thing? Only since about the 16th century
* text messaging How will my friends let me know about the next downtown singlettes and flip flop party if not by text?
* pointy toe shoos/boots on the ladies Well not directly on the lady. That would be rude. I always step over the lady (those singlette parties can get pretty wild sometimes...)
* men who wear shoos with no socks The other way around is far worse unless you can distract with some really overpowering aftershave.
* Hawaiian shirts (never ever)But the bright patterns will draw the eye away from your toe exposing footwear...

Unasked for commentary in blue letters is mine. More or less tolerantly yours,
Sefton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran