Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
jamespowers said:
You forgot to mention ticklish. ;) :p
True enough, that is an issue. There are always a few moments which I have to fight through. But the reward is walking through clouds for the rest of the day; and having pretty tootsies for a month.:p

BTW, chicks LOVE men with pretty feet.;)

dschonn

Familiar Face
I've decided that I really hate Renaissance fashion. Men's fashion from the Renaissance (and the Cavalier period, by the way, and anything in between) is just grating to me, and I curse the one who decided that the Renaissance should be honored with all manner of festivals and fairs, these latter usually spelled with extraneous Es at the end that lost all meaning over five hundred years ago. People feel obligated to dress up for these festivals not just in Renaissance fashions, which are ugly to begin with, but with ill-fitting and poorly made pseudo-Renaissance clothing that somehow contrives to be even uglier than the real thing.

I, being male, tend not to care that much about women's clothing, and so the Renaissance gowns women choose to wear generally make me think things like "That looks uncomfortable just to stand up in. How does she sit? How does she move? How does she breathe? How does she attend the call of nature, as it were?" That is, I am bewildered by them. I just don't understand how the obvious discomfort could possibly be worth it to anyone. I won't even try to address the oddity of revealing most of the bosom but concealing the ankles.

To the clothing of men, on the other hand, I react with actual revulsion. Tights! Trunk hose! Peascod bellies! Lace! Ribbons! Everything about men's Renaissance clothing seems not only to try to feminize the silhouette, but to make one look overweight and ungainly. Narrow shoulders, high waists, wide hips, chicken legs: If you don't have them, you need only dress like a Renaissance nobleman to acquire them. And I'm sure none of it is comfortable, either. Ugh.

By the way, I realize this isn't that relevant to this thread because you see so few men walking down the street in trunk hose and doublets nowadays, but I do kind of like hating it anyway. And I needed to get it out of my system.

just_me

Practically Family
dschonn, we shouldn't expect to see you walking down the streets of Minneapolis dressed like this? lol lol lol

006.jpg

dschonn

Familiar Face
Paisley said:
I take it you're perplexed by modern wedding gowns as well:

8055_m.jpg

That doesn't seem quite as bad somehow. I think that Renaissance dresses tend to be more revealing at the top and much more concealing and constricting below, if you know what I mean. It's the way they emphasize the cleavage while burying everything else under piles of fabric and whatnot that really puzzles me. They contradict themselves inherently, while the dress above is only ironic if used as a wedding dress.

And that dude with the many ugly fabrics that don't coordinate but are put together multiple times in the same outfit regardless is exactly what I hate about Renaissance festivals. Also his stupid little beard. If you're going to have a beard (and I think more men should than do), let it be as nature intended. Don't manicure and edit the outlines put there by Nature. It will never, never be an improvement. Such an excessively groomed beard looks kind of feminine to me, which I find to be a joke at the wearer's expense. He lets his hair grow to period-inaccurate length and carves his beard into an unnatural and distinctly modern (to my eye) shape. He looks like he thinks the world of his get-up, too. If I don't stop now, I will find much, much more to dislike in this man's appearance. I must retire and regain my calm.

donCarlos

Practically Family
The renaissance codpieces are not bad. They are just so funny!

John Hus (1369-1415) wrote something on this topic. He criticised them, because the noblemen stuffed them with cloth so much that the stitches often didn´t hold the pressure, so the codpiece didn´t cover anything at all, while the men didn´t even notice it. And of course, he was outraged by the fact that the men used their codpieces to impress women in church.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Soothing, red release

I detest the wearing by girls and young women of sunglasses with vast, saucer-like lenses. These are sometimes accompanied by bulky, bloated-looking 'Michelin Man' coats and the fashion trend that I hate most all in the world (well, perhaps not as much the tawdry ubiquity of baseball caps): ugly, sickly-looking dyed blond hair. This style seems to have been spawned in imitation of the likes of Paris Hilton, so I think it quite appropriate to say, as we young fellows hyperbolicly do, "KILL IT WITH FIRE!"

I am also very averse to a strange style of beard that I sometimes see; it consists principally of a narrow, straight-edged and angular section of short hairs or stubble that runs from the joints of the jawbone to the chin.

While I'm at 'it': A pox upon spiked, dyed hair!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran