Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion for misses

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Offhand, I'd suggest watching a few Deanna Durbin movies from the '30s and early '40s to see what she (and the extras!) are wearing. I believe she was around 15 in 1936, when she made Three Smart Girls, and she's definitely a *girl* in that one, not grown up at all. By 1941, in It Started With Eve, her costumes/clothes are distinctly grown-up.

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
Another good movie for youthful fashion is the 1945 version of State Fair with Jeanne Crain. Her dresses are adorable!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Good catch on Deanna Durbin -- she was the classic example of how a "young miss" would have looked. Early Judy Garland pictures of the "let's put on a show!" era will show the same sort of styles, and like Deanna, she wasn't allowed to dress her age onscreen until well into the mid-forties.

A really good resource for how post-teenage pre-married-life women dressed is "Mademoiselle" magazine, which started in the late thirties billed as "The Magazine For Smart Young Women," mostly college and just-post-college gals. The fashions you'll see there definitely have a younger edge than you'll find in Vogue or Harper's Bazaar of the same era, but are just as definitely not the sort of thing you'd find on a high school girl.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Ladies, I will watch some Deanna Durbin movies, take still photos from them and post here! Thank you. :)

In the meanwhile, I searched for Deanna Durbin and found a few photos of outfits I find very youthful:

243408829_c9b30c778f.jpg

741604%7EPortrait-of-Actress-and-Singer-Deanna-Durbin-Posters.jpg

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
I think maybe today's term would be junior. Yes, junior is sized from 1-15 and a miss 14 can probably wear a junior 15, but she would look like "mutton dressed as lamb".

I haven't found that accurate with modern clothing scales. While I am a 10-12 in modern "miss", there isn't a juniors item on the planet that fits my curves! I've been under the impression that junior is cut for less-developed (ie, little to no curves) while miss is cut for developed figures? In their ideals, anyway!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy