Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Crown Shape

spiridon

A-List Customer
I'm sure this has been asked before in some form or another, thought I would post it as a poll to find out what the majority here prefer...What is your favorite crown bash or shape?
....and as a followup, what proportion of your hat collection does your favorite shape fill?

I would say the diamond shaped crown is my favorite, although that shape only makes up a small percentage of my collection. My next favorite shape, the "C" crown make up the majority of my collection.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
All my hats are diamond. And if they don't come that way I change them. I also like to bash some of them all in, kind of a cross between a diamond and a teardrop. Does it have a name? I see it in old movies all the time.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I appreciate the varied interest of the diamond shape, but don't know if I'll ever do one. Most of my hats are center dent, by accident, not design, so I'll vote for that one since most of my collection happens to be that shape.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Diamond/"C" Crown Hybrid

I wear a diamond/"C" crown hybrid, very casually bashed. As close as I can get to the Sam Spade bash, to wit:
Spade4.jpg
Spade5.jpg

More important to me is the height of the crown (very high), the depth of the bash (very deep) and the degree of taper (as little as possible).

I prefer a bash, like Bogie's, that is rather casually executed; individually made, not not a factory-made clone.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Wolfmanjack said:
I wear a diamond/"C" crown hybrid, very casually bashed. As close as I can get to the Sam Spade bash, to wit:
Spade4.jpg
Spade5.jpg

More important to me is the height of the crown (very high), the depth of the bash (very deep) and the degree of taper (as little as possible).

I prefer a bash, like Bogie's, that is rather casually executed; individually made, not not a factory-made clone.

That's what I'm talkin' about! I guess it doesn't really have an official name.[huh]

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Pinch Front

I voted for the C-crown which I do like, although I seem to have more center dents than anything else.

My favorite style of hat is the pinch front with a fairly wide brim, and with a one inch ribbon.:D

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am partial to a high crowned center crease like this
DSCN4181.jpg

For some reason most of my recent purchases have all been with a C-crown.

feltfan

I'm with Douglas when it comes down to it.
But part of the reason for owning a lot of hats
is to have hats with more than one bash.
Some hats lend themselves better to one bash
or another. If I had to choose, I guess it would
be a high center dent.

Thanks also to Wolfmanjack for pointing out the
difference between the factory C-crown that we
see on so many hats today, which I hate, and the
hand-bashed C-crown, which I love. The factory
C-crown just looks like it was pressed in by a machine.
Exception being 40s Panama hats, that sometimes look
good that way, probably due to the fact that the old
blocks had more style. And you can't hand-bash a Panama...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm a c-crown fan, but I'd really like to get my hands on a '30s fedora with a crown high enough to do a proper reverse-taper inducing center dent. I've only got one hat that will do it right now, and the brim appears to have been trimmed down too far at one point.

I hand-bash most of my lids when I get them. Art rebuilt a vintage camel-colored Stetson for me and put a nice block in it. That's the only one I haven't messed with.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Wolfmanjack said:
Spade4.jpg
Spade5.jpg

I HEAR ya Wolfmanjack! I liked this particular "look" so much, that I had Art make me one based on this same picture. I prefer the "handbashed" look on all of my felts.:) :)

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Whippet Bash

Here is an interesting 5-point bash that was in this Stetson Whippet when I found it at a vintage clothing store:
MyWhippet.jpg

This is obviously a carefully hand-made bash created many years ago by the previous owner. Although I like to put my own bash in my hats, this one is a piece of history and I would never touch it.

feltfan

I have that "Superman" 5-point bash in a few of my
vintage hats. It's actually not too hard to do if you have
good felt (and those Whippets tended to have outstanding felt).
They all but fall into it.

Now that I have my source of steam back up (my big espresso
machine), I'm looking to rebash some hats. In particular I'm
playing with a few bashes for my 40s Stetsonian. Can't decide.
It's fun.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
feltfan said:
I have that "Superman" 5-point bash in a few of my
vintage hats. It's actually not too hard to do if you have
good felt (and those Whippets tended to have outstanding felt).
They all but fall into it.

"Superman" meaning the bash worn by Clark Kent? In which movie or TV program was it worn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo