Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Non Red Lipstick Shades

Christy

One of the Regulars
Hi Ladies,

The favorite red lipsticks thread is really popular and I was curious to see if you all had lipsticks in other shades than red that were your favorite. I only wear red lipstick and some days I don't feel like wearing red lipstick, I'll just wear bare lips. Some days I just want something a little more subdued.

So, I'd love to hear your favorites of other shades! What's your favorite lipstick to wear when you don't feel like wearing red?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
You might try Clinique's Almost Lipstick in "Black Honey". I've become accustomed to more color on my lips, but it's great for that just-a-hint-of-berry look. It looks dark purple in the tube, but it's very sheer - but not glossy & goopy - when you put it on.

If I want something brighter, but also relatively sheer, I wear Neutrogena's Moisture Sheer Lipstick in "Ruby Bliss". I keep buying it because I like the color, but unfortunately it's not terribly long-lasting - either on the lips or in the tube.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Aveda lip tints are my everyday wear. They're a tinted lip balm with more color than the usual tinted balms. The color I like best is Verbena, which is a sheer red. I also wear Copper and Apricot, which are both nude peach tones.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I have one I love that is a coralish pink matte one from Boots no 7. The shade is Tranquil Rose and what;'s good is that it either looks more coral or more pink depending on the shade I'm wearing it with.

Here's a photo!

4115422026_732dd03719_m.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My red alternative is purple. My favourite, this lipstick and lipglass from MAC's Dame Edna collection:

mac-dame-edna-product.jpg

The lipstick is a matte, called Gladiola, and the glass is Hot Frost. You can't get them anymore :( I won't give these up if I have to scrape residue from the containers.

PS. Hi Fleur :D

Christy

One of the Regulars
ShoreRoadLady I love Clinique's Almost Honey, it's one of my favorites!

fortworthgal I have never tried anything from Aveda. I'll have to look into those.

Fleur That shade of lipstick is really pretty.

C-dot Purple lipstick sounds fun. Those are pretty, too bad they were limited!

I thought it would be good to have this thread so people could share their love of lipstick that were other shades than red. A girl can never have too many lipsticks! ;)

Lenore

Practically Family
Wow. I just realized that every lipstick in my purse (6 of them! Why do I have so many when I usually only wear one?) is a red. Anyway, for non-red lips, I either use Prada lip balm #3 (peach) or more often, I take some powdered blush and mix it with Rosebud Salve.

ETA: Ooh! I just found another in my desk. It's by E.L.F. and is called Barely Bitten and is one of their mineral lipsticks.
barelybitten.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
I forgot my other favorite - Burt's Bees pomegranate lip balm. Moisturizing and has just a hint of pinkish/red color and shine.

all the BB ones are good...their Lip Shimmers in various colors like raisin and watermelon are nicely colored....yet not -gloss- sticky...(cause i hate that)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
I have a few glosses that i've gotten as gifts but I don't like that sticky shiny stuff.

I hear you. MAC lipglass is quite nice when just dotted over lipstick, and Guerlain is very smooth - But lipgloss in general is very sticky.

Speaking of Guerlain and non-red lips, I have been known to sport gold lips on occasion:

kisskiss.jpg

KissKiss gloss in 801 - A deep yellow gold :)

Avalon

A-List Customer
I am seriously addicted to Revlon's new matte line. When not wearing my usual "Really Red", I go with "Strawberry Suede" (a pretty hot pink) or "Wine Not" (a dark aubergine). On the weekends though, it's usually my Dr Pepper Lip Smacker. lol

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I know some people have had bad results from it but Tangee lipstick is in my purse every day along with my red. I find if I just do one swipe over my bottom and top lip I don't end up with "hot pink" lips. It just subtlly puches up up lip color a bit. And I love a coat of Carmex Cherry Lip Balm over everything. It is the best lip balm for me hands down.

I also have been meaning to get a tube of Revlon's "Pink In the Afternoon." I remember it being such a nice neutral pink and I used to wear it all the time when I was a teen.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I second Babydoll's vote for the Revlon Colorstay in Fabulous Fig. I also like Clinique's Bamboo...really pale soft nude with a teeny bit of shimmer.

cecil

A-List Customer
I wear a dark berry colour on occasion but that's about it. "Berry Sinner" by Poppy King. Here's a swatch from a Spectra.net user, second from left:

00030drt

It's pretty, I like it.

R

ruby-blue

Most days at work I wear a sheer red, MAC slimshine in Urgent! which is like a highly pigmented lip balm.
I also have a coral lipstick, also by MAC, Vegas Volt which I read that January Jones was wearing here:
january_jones.jpg

Twig by MAC is also a fave, it's a brownish-rose shade that is almost universally flattering.

Sometimes MAC Lipgelee in Slicked Pink is all I wear if I'm just popping down to the shops or something.

R

ruby-blue

Hello there! It's a gorgeous shade but as my nails are usually red, I rarely use it which is a shame. I have purchased a coral nail polish, perhaps now that it's Summer it will get more use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn