Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Pie? Pork Pie!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK, folks, here's my latest acquisition. (well, the latest to arrive, anyhow)

It's a Royal Deluxe Stetson Pork pie. It's a light grey that looks light blue in some light. Now, I tend to favor the high crowns and the wide brims, but this one has its own jaunty appeal. It would probably go very well with a vintage bowling shirt, it goes well enough with one of my Hilo Hattie Aloha shirts.

The only question: Brim up or down? Brim down, it needs to be tilted way back on my head, I think.

Anyhow, here goes: Click the thumbnails to see the pics in all their glory.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Looking Good, T in T!

Tony in Tarzana said:
The only question: Brim up or down?

Both ways look good but brim down seems to bring a smile to your face.:D

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I get into a pork pie mood once in while. It's a good one to wear going out to a jazz bar.

porkpieA.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

Or if I become a car salesman again. ;)

Remember that Twilight Zone episode with the Ford Model A that made the salesman (played by Jack Carson) tell only the truth? He had a back-bow porkpie like mine.

Tony, what you've got there is the perfect look for sitting around a pool and playing Gin for a dime a point. The down-turned brim makes me think it's going to be a fair game. The up-turned brim makes me think I'm going to be hustled. ("Well, I'm here with my church group, and if anyone should see me playing cards...but what they darn. It just seems like such an interesting game.")

Is that a vintage hat? It's such a great color. At Arnold Hatters here in NY, they have Bailey Stingers in that color (they call it Pearl) but no Porkpies.

Regards,
Senator Jack

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Hey Tony, I remember that one! I shoulda been a contender...:eusa_doh:

Congrats. Wear it in good health - brim down, of course.:eusa_clap

Joel

Razzman

One Too Many
"The only question: Brim up or down? Brim down."
I vote for the brim up! Nice looking hat.:eusa_clap I agree with DJ looks like your ready for a tropical destination.
Bottoms up!

Magus

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
OK, folks, here's my latest acquisition. (well, the latest to arrive, anyhow)

It's a Royal Deluxe Stetson Pork pie. It's a light grey that looks light blue in some light. Now, I tend to favor the high crowns and the wide brims, but this one has its own jaunty appeal. It would probably go very well with a vintage bowling shirt, it goes well enough with one of my Hilo Hattie Aloha shirts.

The only question: Brim up or down? Brim down, it needs to be tilted way back on my head, I think.

Tony...After careful consideration my answer is "YES". Beacuse both look good, go with your mood of the day. With that said, I think you look slightly better with it down though.

M

PS...MAN I would love that hat!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Lookin' Good!

I vote for brim down, but either way, Good Score!
Great looking lid!

By the way, other famous Pork Pie afficiandos include Cary Grant- "My Favorite Wife"- and Mickey Spillane in the Lite Beer commercials.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Tony in Tarzana said:
Or if I become a car salesman again. ;)

Remember that Twilight Zone episode with the Ford Model A that made the salesman (played by Jack Carson) tell only the truth? He had a back-bow porkpie like mine.

I've seen that episode! I recorded it on the DVR but, I guess my brother felt it wasn't worth the space on the memory:( I love Jack Carson, he was a good actor in the 40's too! Did you notice the first car that drove off his lot was a 46-48 Plymouth P-15 Club Coupe? Yeah, I sure did!lol

Now, back on topic for me!

I don't own one pork pie! Not that I have anything against the style, I just haven't found one that suits me best. My self, I like the 40's Pork Pies the best, they have a nice 2 3/4" or 3" brim... they look sharp man! Real early Be-Bop looking stuff! That's a fun style!

Check out Lester Young's hat in this famous clip from the late 40's called...

"Jammin' The Blues"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_hNtvghs2k&search=lester young

=WR=

Tony in Tarzana

Joel Tunnah said:
Hey Tony, I remember that one! I shoulda been a contender...:eusa_doh:

Congrats. Wear it in good health - brim down, of course.:eusa_clap

Joel

Thanks! Were you bidding on it? I was afraid I might be bidding against another Lounger, sorry.

I won it for my maximum bid, to the penny. Weird how things work out sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou