Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Movies From the 1940s?

Lorena B

Practically Family
Few of my fab ones
All about Eve, The grapes of wrath (Henry Fonda), Pot' o gold(Jimmy Steward), Copacabana ( Carmen Miranda), Reap wild wind (John Waine), Cover girl(Rita Hayworth..... wow, and i could keep going, 30's, 40's, 50's and early 60's... for me the best cinema ever made was made then!

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
There are so many great movies from the 1940's that I find it hard to keep my list down to a hundred or so. Here's a few of my favorites that might not have been mentioned above.

To Have and Have Not (1944)
Across the Pacific (1941)
Dark Passage (1947)
Suspicion (1941)
Saboteur (1942)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Shadow of the Thin Man (1941)
The Blue Dahlia (1946)
Five Graves to Cairo (1943)
Road to Singapore (1940)
Road to Morocco (1942)
The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)

Tibor

One of the Regulars
Great lists... One of my favorites that I haven't seen listed yet is Gaslight. A period piece, but Joseph Cotton, Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer make a great combo.

Another I like that I didn't notice being listed is Nocturne, not so much because it's a great movie, though it's pretty good, but the mood is great, excellent lighting, great subtle sound, rustling leaves...

Annyth

New in Town
Hello from a complete newbie... Yes, this is my first post. I lurk a lot, though. Lurk and learn...

This has to be the place to ask a question which has been bugging me ever since .. Well, ever since someone shook me by the ankles and every useful thing I ever knew fell out my ears. Some years ago I saw a movie on TV in the States. It was from the 40s (I think) and was one of a series featuring a sassy, funny heroine. I think she had a Spanish name, but I can't swear to it. I just remember laughing like a drain at the stream of witticisms that made up the dialogue and I would love to find those movies again. They were definitely comedies and I think her name appeared in all the titles.

Does any of you knowledgeable people have a clue what I'm on about? Any help or hints very welcome!

- Annyth, dim Brit

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Annyth said:
Hello from a complete newbie... Yes, this is my first post. I lurk a lot, though. Lurk and learn...

This has to be the place to ask a question which has been bugging me ever since .. Well, ever since someone shook me by the ankles and every useful thing I ever knew fell out my ears. Some years ago I saw a movie on TV in the States. It was from the 40s (I think) and was one of a series featuring a sassy, funny heroine. I think she had a Spanish name, but I can't swear to it. I just remember laughing like a drain at the stream of witticisms that made up the dialogue and I would love to find those movies again. They were definitely comedies and I think her name appeared in all the titles.

Does any of you knowledgeable people have a clue what I'm on about? Any help or hints very welcome!

- Annyth, dim Brit

Lupe Velez, The Mexican Spitfire?

Annyth

New in Town
Yess!! That's her! Thankyou so much, Nathan! :eusa_clap

The only line I can remember is the jealous lover's complaint in the dance hall.. "If he gets any closer, he'll be behind her!"

..But Lupe Velez was the girl.

Hmmmm... I must stick around this forum...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24