Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed IV is almost the perfect hat

Kirk H.

One Too Many
First attempt at bashing the FedIV (or any hat for that matter...)
fed10.jpg

fed4.jpg

fed2.jpg

Looks good. Enjoy the hat and welcome to the Lounge.

Kirk H.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Can someone tell me the aprox weight of the Fed, please. I'm thinking of getting one but I would like to know how many seasons I can wear it. Does Akubra make a feather or lighter weight hat?
As you'll find in the Lounge, the idea of what seasons/temperatures to wear a felt varies by person and location. The Fed IV, as far as I can tell with mine, is definitely a thicker felt than my Cervo. Since I abhor straw hats (on me, not in general), I wear my felts all the time, so I've learned to deal with it. Akubra felts are designed to be worn in Australia all year. I've had my Fed IV on here in Arizona in 110 degree heat, as well as in Florida where it was 85 with 90% humidity and I was comfortable on both occasions; YMMV. I've never heard of a lightweight Akubra, but others may have. I think they're more committed to maintaining the +50 UPF rating on their hats, given their Australian nature.
The Fed IV is a beast, and it softens up very, very nicely. I can't recommend it enough. Take the plunge pjt! You won't regret it.

Edward

Bartender
There are three changes I would like to make. Well, two, plus one as an option.

Changes:

1] A deep scarlet liner. White may be the industry standard, but it gets so grubby so quickly, especially for we baldies.

2] A wind trolley.

Optional:

A bound brim. A nice, wide binding which covers the outer 1/4" of the brim, matched to the ribbon.

With those, and maybe a couple more choices of ribbon colour (I would dearly love a Fed IV Dlx with a copper coloured ribbon and brim binding), and it would be the perfect hat for me.

tealseal

A-List Customer
There are three changes I would like to make. Well, two, plus one as an option.

Changes:

1] A deep scarlet liner. White may be the industry standard, but it gets so grubby so quickly, especially for we baldies.

2] A wind trolley.

Optional:

A bound brim. A nice, wide binding which covers the outer 1/4" of the brim, matched to the ribbon.

With those, and maybe a couple more choices of ribbon colour (I would dearly love a Fed IV Dlx with a copper coloured ribbon and brim binding), and it would be the perfect hat for me.

I agree! Particularly with items 1 and the Option. ANY other colour lining than white would be much more to my liking. Also removing the plastic on the top of the lining.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
OK Boys, I just bought my Fed IV form a lounger, moonstone, should have it in a couple of days. I am very excited!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
kb, nice first bash. You'll find that as you wear it, your hat will morph slightly to your head and personality. For me, the trick is to not take the hat too seriously. It'll become you over some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80