Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge classifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
Personally, I feel more comfident in buying from fellow FL members than I do from some ebay site I don't know. I think we (FLers) are all in this together and nobody is out to take advantage of anyone else. So far my experience with FL has been great (Thanks, Garrett!).

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Well, I for one don't mind that. I've bought from fellow loungers that way on a number of occasions. I think it's hardly fair to begrudge a person the opportunity to maximize the sale price by promoting an auction in the classifieds section.

My feelings on the matter boils down to this: I will (and have) sold items to fellow loungers for much less than what they would go for at eBay auction, however, because of flakes, I no longer bother. I will offer items to FL'ers I know IRL via PM, but other than that I think a simple link to an auction of interest is the way to go.

Pater Familias said:
That's cool, but why not just go to eBay and not place an ad here saying, 'hey, I'm selling this cool stuff guys, but you'll have to wait 7 days before you might be able to buy it somewhere else.' I just get sick of looking through the new classifieds just to discover a bunch of ebay links. Maybe I'm the only one.

On The Gear Page (musician site) we pay a monthly or yearly subscription to post in the classifieds. It's pretty cheap, like $12 for a year. Might weed out some things.

Pater Familias

Familiar Face
Guttersnipe said:
Well, I for one don't mind that. I've bought from fellow loungers that way on a number of occasions. I think it's hardly fair to begrudge a person the opportunity to maximize the sale price by promoting an auction in the classifieds section.

My feelings on the matter boils down to this: I will (and have) sold items to fellow loungers for much less than what they would go for at eBay auction, however, because of flakes, I no longer bother. I will offer items to FL'ers I know IRL via PM, but other than that I think a simple link to an auction of interest is the way to go.

I can accept your reasoning, but wish things were different. Also, I haven't complained about higher prices due to auctions, and I haven't asked for a break. But I've become convinced herein that many sellers obviously believe it artificially/temporally inflates the market and thus seek to take advantage of it. So be it. Hell, I probably wouldn't have started this thread if most sellers would also offer a BIN option on their auctions.

Viper Man

Banned
I've posted some nice vintage hats in the classified section here for what I thought were fair prices and really didn't get much response. When I did, it was by people trying to negotiate a better price. :rolleyes:

After that I decided if I had something to sell, I'd do it on ebay.

carldelo

One Too Many
A lot of good arguments above. I will say, with the two hats I sold I had very few tire-kickers. I think this is because I put up a lot of pictures - 8 for each hat (including the interior), plus detailed measurements of the brim, crown, ribbon, etc. This info answers most people's questions, consequently I had very few. Heck, how many hats have I seen listed without the size being mentioned? Putting the size in the title of the listing helps too.

In addition, fuzzy or too few pictures and lack of info makes me suspicious that something may be wrong with the hat, and spurs a lot of questions - let's see the interior, what size is it, how wide is the ribbon, etc. I can see how this would annoy the seller, but you have to do some work up front if you want the process to proceed smoothly. Being willing to drop the price after the hat has been listed for a week or two helps as well.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Fedora Lounge Classified

The "Classified" section is a convenience for those members of the FL who wish to sell their personal items they no longer want. If no one buys or is serious about it..that is the game. We charge nothing, have no insertion fee, and take no percentage. If a member wants to offer ANY item up, and there are no takers, or that person decides to go to Craigs List, or Ebay....that is their right.
For anyone here to question that practice, well. Money talks and the ** walks.

People selling items are under no obligation to this Joint, or any other. They want cash for merchandise. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou