Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora wearers and rude behavior

Within the last 6 months, have you noticed fedora wearers to be a bit ruder

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• No change

• Why, Senator Jack, you're about the rudest person I know.

• Total voters
Used to be that whenever you saw another fedora aficionado, you would generally expect polite behavior and be surprised if that's not what you got. I suppose it has something to do with the rise of the fedora's popularity amongst the trendies, but even here at the Lounge I'm seeing some rather rude behavior. Is it me? Not meaning to stir up trouble with this poll. Just curious.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I don't know that behavior is "ruder" here at the Lounge; I do suspect that some here have settled in long enough to let their hair down a bit and be more forthright. That's OK with me, as discussions here can get heated but don't deteriorate into flame wars.

As for general fedora wearers, they are few enough in number that I have no data - therefore, I voted No Change.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Senator Jack said:
Used to be that whenever you saw another fedora aficionado, you would generally expect polite behavior and be surprised if that's not what you got. I suppose it has something to do with the rise of the fedora's popularity amongst the trendies, but even here at the Lounge I'm seeing some rather rude behavior. Is it me? Not meaning to stir up trouble with this poll. Just curious.

Regards,

Senator Jack

I've seen rude behavior in the congregation I serve, and it appears that somewhere along the way every group shows its weaknesses somewhere over time. Actually I agree with your observations, but I must say that the Loungers I read here are really a pretty temperate bunch, that's one of the appeals of the Lounge. I thought your straight forward manner in dealing with an issue in a another post was very well handled, good use of gentle admonishment.

dean

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't know.. perhaps it's just the influx of new members and learning to get along with many who have said the same things in the past. I'll be watching for it on the Lounge.

As for public, it is far and few between that I run into another fedora wearer. perhaps there is a bit of jealousy in the crowd that has worn them for years and the crowd that has just began. they see the new wearer and think "carpet bagger" rather than appreciate the spread of the style. Either way I give a nod. sometimes it's returned and sometimes they look at me crossed eyed like I'm trying to hit on them. I'm not trying to hit on them (I think some ladies would be upset if that were the case)... I just appreciate seeing more fedoras.

Feraud

Bartender
I have noticed less fedora wearing recently. This could be because of the warm Summer weather. Rudeness on the Lounge does tend to wax and wane depending on the influx of members and how grouchy some of us "old timers" are feeling. ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well what stuck out to me in the last few weeks was a fella I commented on on wearing a lid. He scoffed at me as in 'Youre not hot enought to comment on my hat and expect me to say thanks." That was a shocker, thinking a compliment is an invitation into my pants.

SO I voted yes, some are gettin ruder.

LD

Daisy Buchanan

I don't run into too many fedora wearers. The ones I know are really nice (yeah, even you Jack lol)
The few times I've seen a Fedora wearer out, I've complemented them on their hats. I usually just get a simple thanks. Nothing rude, but certainly nothing greatful. Some people I have seen in public wearing them I haven't said anything too because for some reason or other they looked kind of stuck up. I'd imagine that if I had said something to them I may have gotten the same type of reply that Lady Day received. Boston guys are typically like that. So, I'm on the fence, but I voted "no".

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
There are a lot of rude people out there in general. IMHO, the people that are rude and wear fedoras sound like they are more into fedoras as a fashion statement, and not as a style, since a fedora represents class (again, IMHO). If they knew what the fedora was about, more likely they would play the part. Also, statistics in general dictate that as more people wear fedoras, the more likely you'll come across a rude person wearing a fedora. Also, it may be useful to note that in my 29 years of living, I've never seen (conciously) a person wearing a fedora, outside of the usual straw fedora style hat that every other John Q. Tourist wears on vacation.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The only fedorawearers I ever seem to meet around here are older gents downtown, the kind who are unfailingly polite and courtly. I don't think I've seen a proper hat on a man under the age of 60 in all the years I've lived here. (Which is terribly sad, really.)

As for behavior in the Lounge, well, this is an island of decorum and civility compared to some boards and groups I've seen. Discussions get tetchy sometimes, but even when we disagree on things we seem to be able to get along like grownups.

Elaina

One Too Many
I have to agree with Lizzie: I only see them on older gentleman in my neck of the woods, aside from my son and husband.

Although I am new, I do have opinions, and I'll give them sometimes, but it's not to flame or be rude. On the other hand, I seldom take too much offense at what's said back. I'll take some of the comments made to heart and sit back a little more before jumping in, so I'm not being overly redundant to those that have heard it all before. ;)

Elaina

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Sorry to say, I see no connection between fedora-wearing and politeness (or the lack of it). [huh]

Not a direct connection Marc, but indirect. It's mostly the older people that wear fedoras, until the new crowd comes along... The older people are, more often than not, nothing short of gentleman. That is the assocation. There really should be no connection between politeness and fedoras though. It should be "just because."

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Fedora Rage

Here at the FL we had a member last year that seemed to flame broil every one of his posts for maximum offensiveness. Tha individual is no longer a guest here at the FL :eusa_doh:

SC :D

koopkooper

Practically Family
Interesting topic...as far as loungers are concerned I think it's a mighty fine bunch of people who discuss and debate whilst still being adults.

Re other fedora wearers out and about, I tend to give a tip of my brim and leave it at that, sometimes they smile or say hi and other times not at all.
It's a bit like the classic car thing, people who drive them often give some kind of wave or hoot of the horn when they see another classic car. Sometimes people respond, other times they don't.

It's much like wearing a fedora, for some it's who they are, a statement, a style, basically it has more meaning than protecting yer melon, for others it's just that.

Benny Holiday

Fedora wearers here are few and far between

Certainly if I were to see someone out on the street whom I didn't know, and who was dressed clearly in vintage/Golden Era attire, I'd approach them and say hi. I also enjoy seeing Mods and other well-dressed followers of styles other than my own 30's-40's lifestyle, and I compliment them whenever I see them. I have to admit, I'd be very disappointed if any such person were rude to me. What sort of person would return rudeness for a compliment?

But in reality the issue is really moot, as there are very few people in Sydney who actually think about their own style rather than blindly following the dictates of popular 'fashion'.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I voted "Yes"

I voted yes, but kind of read into the question before doing so. I don’t think that fedora wearers are ruder now, but rather the people who are now wearing fedoras are ruder. It seems like the generation that looks to such wonderful role models as Kevin Federline occasionally drops the trucker cap for a fedora. Unfortunately, they don’t drop the attitude. Personally, I have found that when I am wearing a hat I am much more polite.

So, to support my “Yes” answer, the people who wore fedoras six months haven’t changed, but many of the people who have begun wearing fedoras in the past six months are negatively affecting peoples’ impression of fedoras.

Strider

One of the Regulars
At the last Queen Mary summit, several FL members were rude to me and a few of the other folks dressed as Indy. No one seemed to want to address it. That was over 6 months ago, but I still voted yes.

Why, I walked right up to a guy and introduced myself, and he just looked at me and walked away. This was at the QM!

Strider said:
At the last Queen Mary summit, several FL members were rude to me and a few of the other folks dressed as Indy. No one seemed to want to address it. That was over 6 months ago, but I still voted yes.

Why, I walked right up to a guy and introduced myself, and he just looked at me and walked away. This was at the QM!

ReallY? That's surprising, i must say.

Rudeness appears to be omnipresent. Its relation to fedora wearers remains to be investigated. Though i suspect there will be no discernible trend.

Rudeness at the FLounge appears to wax and wane, as someone said already. There are those who can have a rootin tootin argument without being uncivil (i hope i am within this category) - for example, there is a subtle but important difference between "what you just said is idiotic and this is why ..." and "you are a moron!". There are others who quickly jump to insults every time they're challenged. These people seem unable to control themselves. This is perhaps an indication of a lack of reasonable argument, lack of ability to express themselves, or lack of debating ability.

bk

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Baron... you're a moron *looks left then looks right* lol just kidding...

Anyhow that's a pretty good point, about the difference between people who debate versus people who argue. It is possible that society itself has generally become more rude and fedora wearers are no exception. However it seems like the percentage of rude to civil is much smaller in the Fedora wearing community than the rest of society. It is inevitable you get a few bad apples but luckily you can set them aside and save the bunch... so to speak.

As for the Lounge, I'm enjoying it here and have only encountered a few little pockets of rudeness...but usually from people "new in town". Once most of yall hit "one of the regulars" it seems to die out and become more civil. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou